T Nation

Shoulder Grinding With Military Presses

Every time I do a military press it feels as if the upper part of my shoulder is grinding, I’m not sure if it’s the rotator cuff. I thought it was but it’s on the top of the shoulder that grinds.

After 2-3 lifts, regardless of weight, it makes me quit my workout.

The odd thing is I can do almost any other shoulder movement. i.e. the arnold press, etc.

It’s been going like this for a quite some time. The only reason I’m bringing it up now is that I havent been doing the MP. Decided to do it again, wasnt thinking, and hurt myself again.

Any thoughts on what I should do? I went to the doc a few weeks ago and forgot to ask him about it. Stupid of me, I know.

Thanks for the help.

Does it hurt? It can be a shoulder impingement. Where exactly does it hurt? A grinding can occur from the biceps tendons overlapping the cartilage in your shoulder. This happened to me during baseball. My throwing shoulder makes a lot more grinding/popping etc and the Dr told me to not to worry about it that it’s natural. If it hurts it’s probably injured and you will need to see a doc. If it doesn’t but the popping etc is causing a problem it could be cartilage damage or shoulder impingement. my opinion.

Gerdy

If you can do other overhead movements and they don’t hurt you then do those movements instead of the military press.

I really hope you didn’t need anybody to tell you this.

Sounds like you have some inflamation in the shoulder that is causing a slight impingement of the tendons. The inflamation may have been caused if your shoulder is out of alignment - i.e. an AC joint separation. Check in the mirror if you have a ‘dropped’ shoulder.

At anyrate the joint is not tracking correctly and that is what is causing the inflamation. The more you use it the greater the inflamation will become, so be carefull with it - rest it and preferably get some rehab.

Drugs like ibuprophen and alieve can help bring the inflamation down. The less inflamation, the better the joint will track. You can alter your movement and play with the angle of your arm realtive to the side of your head to find the smoothest movement under load, as that will cause the least inflamation.

also:

Sometimes by using the back of the bench on your bare shoulder blade you can use it to hold your shoulder joint in better alignment - higer.

The other thing is you need to drop the weight.

Better to do the military presses at the end of your shoulder routine after you have pre exausted with lateral ‘Fly’ movements. These movements build your shoulders better anyways, and IMO are the bread and butter of shoulder developement, not the military press.

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
Where exactly does it hurt? A grinding can occur from the biceps tendons overlapping the cartilage in your shoulder. This happened to me during baseball. My throwing shoulder makes a lot more grinding/popping etc and the Dr told me to not to worry about it that it’s natural. If it hurts it’s probably injured and you will need to see a doc. If it doesn’t but the popping etc is causing a problem it could be cartilage damage or shoulder impingement. my opinion.

Gerdy[/quote]

The pain seems to be in between the posterior and the lateral delt. I’m thinking that it happened once when I was doing shoulder swings, for track, I was going to fast and that night I was hurting pretty bad. That’s been while back though. I don’t know what it is that I did.

[quote]Wimpy wrote:
If you can do other overhead movements and they don’t hurt you then do those movements instead of the military press.

I really hope you didn’t need anybody to tell you this. [/quote]

Hmm… true, genius. Actually, the reason why I did the MP was that I wasn’t thinking. It’d been so long since doing it I thought I’d give it a try. I’d been doing some shoulder routines and the MP has always been one of my favorites.

[quote]Prisoner wrote:
Sounds like you have some inflamation in the shoulder that is causing a slight impingement of the tendons. The inflamation may have been caused if your shoulder is out of alignment - i.e. an AC joint separation. Check in the mirror if you have a ‘dropped’ shoulder.

At anyrate the joint is not tracking correctly and that is what is causing the inflamation. The more you use it the greater the inflamation will become, so be carefull with it - rest it and preferably get some rehab.

Drugs like ibuprophen and alieve can help bring the inflamation down. The less inflamation, the better the joint will track. You can alter your movement and play with the angle of your arm realtive to the side of your head to find the smoothest movement under load, as that will cause the least inflamation.

also:

Sometimes by using the back of the bench on your bare shoulder blade you can use it to hold your shoulder joint in better alignment - higer.

The other thing is you need to drop the weight.

Better to do the military presses at the end of your shoulder routine after you have pre exausted with lateral ‘Fly’ movements. These movements build your shoulders better anyways, and IMO are the bread and butter of shoulder developement, not the military press.[/quote]

Hot damn, I just looked in the mirror after reading your post and wouldn’t it so happen that my shoulder is dropped. I have noticed that there is virtually no pain throughout the day. I haven’t done a shoulder workout in quite some time, so I don’t know. I just remember the last time I did one. I wanted to do the military press and BAM it popped and grinded. Halted my workout completely

And as for the lateral ‘Fly’ movements, those are also one of my favorites.

Thanks all for the help and ideas.

[quote]pocho wrote:
Every time I do a military press it feels as if the upper part of my shoulder is grinding, I’m not sure if it’s the rotator cuff. I thought it was but it’s on the top of the shoulder that grinds.

After 2-3 lifts, regardless of weight, it makes me quit my workout.

The odd thing is I can do almost any other shoulder movement. i.e. the arnold press, etc.

It’s been going like this for a quite some time. The only reason I’m bringing it up now is that I havent been doing the MP. Decided to do it again, wasnt thinking, and hurt myself again.

Any thoughts on what I should do? I went to the doc a few weeks ago and forgot to ask him about it. Stupid of me, I know.

Thanks for the help.[/quote]

The rotator cuff is muscle, 4 small muscles. they dont make much noise…

Going to the doc on Thursday.

I also noticed that my right clavicle is bent, a while back I just never payed attention to it! What’s up with this? So my left clavicle is bent and my right shoulder is dropped.

Hmm…

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:

Also, AC joint seperation does not happen spontaneously. You would have needed some force - trauma - to cause a separation.

Bushy[/quote]

yeah while unlike you, a lot of us on here are former football, hockey or rugby players growing up. So, you’ll find there is a lot more AC separations out there then you realize.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]pocho wrote:
Going to the doc on Thursday.

I also noticed that my right clavicle is bent, a while back I just never payed attention to it! What’s up with this? So my left clavicle is bent and my right shoulder is dropped.

Hmm…[/quote]

Hey,

Just got back yesterday from a nice shot of cortisone in the joint myself. I’ll let you know how my situation comes around. Good luck with everything in your case.

ToneBone