Shoulder Flexibility

I’m 20 and have been lifting for about two years on and off

My shoulder’s don’t seem inflexible generally but one indication is that, when i lie down on the floor on my back and put my arms above my head my left arm dosen’t touch the floor it floats above it.

I can’t make it touch the floor without considerable strain or someone pushing it down for me. I havn’t noticed any inflexibility when lifting but

I want to start doing overhead squats, however when the bar is above my head and i begin to squat it moves from above my head to quite away infront of it. Horrible form. Hope this makes some sense?

so any ideas what can i do to correct this?

Take a yoga class at your gym or somewhere in town. It will create flexibility while giving your body the balance it needs.

I know exactly what you are talking about. I couldn’t do overhead squats for the same reason. The bar would move too far forward as I would squat down.

I also recommend yoga. There are a few yoga poses that have really improved my thoracic mobility and shoulder flexibility.

There are some articles here that discuss this as well. Many here recommend Magnificent Mobility, but I have not tried it personally.

[quote]ctt123 wrote:
I’m 20 and have been lifting for about two years on and off

My shoulder’s don’t seem inflexible generally but one indication is that, when i lie down on the floor on my back and put my arms above my head my left arm dosen’t touch the floor it floats above it.
[/quote]

Sounds like your left lat is too tight. Maybe you can just work on some static stretching of the lat and see how that works out.