Shoulder Emphasis During O-Lifts?

This is kinda related to the bodybuilding section, but I figure I would get a better answer in the strength sports section.

In the article about Hollywood muscle, CW suggests o-lifts, with some form of technique modification to emphasis the tension in the shoulders.

“The parameters for the former client are all about establishing proper motor patterns in order to prime his system for moving large loads. The latter client doesn’t need to lift world-record loads, so I’ll employ technique tricks to put a larger emphasis on his shoulder region, thus increasing the tension his shoulder muscles are exposed to.”

Any ideas what he’s suggesting? Maybe no shrugging involved?

Thanks.

With Olympic lifts you should focus on performance, not isolating muscles. If you are doing ‘tricks’ to change the tension of you are missing the whole point of using olympic lifts to improve power output.

He’s not talking about increasing his power output. He wants to increase his shoulders.

Personally I have no idea what Thibs is talking about. Maybe you should ask him in his Thib Zone thread.

It was CW, is there a way of asking him directly?

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
He’s not talking about increasing his power output. He wants to increase his shoulders.

Personally I have no idea what Thibs is talking about. Maybe you should ask him in his Thib Zone thread.[/quote]

Then why not do direct shoulder work…?

Well im doing incline bench, and shoulder press, and im trying to decide between, upright rows, high pulls, or what CW is talking about here.

My main problem is my lower body, back, and traps are much stronger than my shoulders, so bringing this area up might greatly increase my overal strength.

I think he is saying to use your upper body to do the lift, like a musclesnatch, muscleclean, press, etc.

[quote]Scrotus wrote:
I think he is saying to use your upper body to do the lift, like a musclesnatch, muscleclean, press, etc.[/quote]

probably. Musclesnatchs are awesome for hitting the shoulders.

I might have to give those a try.

Im gonna give muscle snatches a try, but in looking the technique up, im getting mixed information.

Ive seen videos, where you start from a hang, and do an uprigth row, and just continue to lockout. Basically no lower body at all.

And then ive seen videos, where you start from the floor, and deadlift, then upright row to lockout. Lower body is involved, but no jump.

Are both ways correct?

2,15 - muscle snatch