Shoulder Dislocations

In doing some research for shoulder problems due to benching, I came across something I’ve never heard of doing before…

“Shoulder Dislocations”

Here is a link to a site that suggests doing this kind of dynamic exercise. There is also a video attached to show you the procedure.

My question is, does anybody do these? I mean that looks extremely unnatural to me. I attempted to do one and my right shoulder did not like it one bit.

Any feedback would be great!! I’ve never seen/heard of this before.

here’s the link to the site

stronglifts.com/shoulders-dislocations

It’s a great thing to have in your warm-up. I’d guess a lot of people here do them. I use a mini band.

I personally love them. I do them every day and my flexibility has gone up alot.

I do them almost everyday. And always for upper body warm up before training.

Yeah they’re pretty great IMO.

Shoulder dislocations and pull-aparts are the only reason I can bench 3-4 times a week. If I don’t do them, I get these huge knotted muscles on my front delts.

Go for comfort. If it did not feel good, than probably not the best idea to try and force your shoulders into that motion. Try grabbing one end like in the photo. Than put your other hand on the bottom of the piping. You will then be able to move your arm in planes you normally cannot get to.

This will help you progress to possibly getting to look like the video. But if it still does not feel right, there are plenty of other ways to stretch out your chest and shoulders.

so, you all would say that this does indeed have a positive effect on shoulder health in regards to benching?

I’ve had plenty of shoulder problems and have to specifically isolate my rotators 2x a week at minimum in order to handle a bar bench. If this is another trick in the bag to help my shoulder out, then i’ll be doing them a lot.

I just never heard/saw these. I even went through physical therapy to rebuild my rotator cuff and they never mentioned this exercise.

thanks so much for the quick feedback everyone!!

Every time I train

Yeah, I do them with a purple band before every Bench and Squat session. I add in some BTN (behind the neck) Pullaparts, some Face Pulls, and some Band Pushdowns. They have really helped to keep my shoulders and elbows healthy.

I personally don’t like them. I prefer to do big arm circles free-handed and go faster and with bigger circles as time progresses. Always start every session with these and now I can do an overhead squat barefooted with a shoulder width grip.

[quote]Modi wrote:
Yeah, I do them with a purple band before every Bench and Squat session. I add in some BTN (behind the neck) Pullaparts, some Face Pulls, and some Band Pushdowns. They have really helped to keep my shoulders and elbows healthy.[/quote]

If modi is doing them, I’m doing them.

I’m sold!! haha!!

I’ve been reading through your logs man, you are a fucking beast.
Plus I learned a lot from seeing how you set up your cycles.

Good luck in your current routine dude!!

They irritate my right shoulder quite a lot. I definitely don’t like these either.

I’ve been doing shoulder dislocates and big arm circles consistently for one year now.

Best thing ever.