T Nation

Shoulder Discomfort - Imbalances?

First of all, I would like to thank google for allowing me to stumble across T-Nation. I started lifting 9 months ago for freshman football and just now was seeking information.

Recently, my right shoulder was uncomfortable while benching so I searched in google and found this site. After doing some reading I realized that my idiot football coach wasn’t having us do ANY Rows. He also wasn’t having us do any deadlifts and the only back workouts we ever did was the occasional pull-up.

So, my question:
Could benching without doing any rows cause this shoulder discomfort? If so, should I stop benching altogether while I work on my rows or just go light on the bench?

Thanks in advance.

Yes it could. Your back and chest muscles can become imbalanced by doing extensive chest work and no back work. Also, benching pronates (pushes out) your scapula and rows and things pull back your scapula. If you aren’t doing back work your scapula can actually slowly tilt frontwards because of the imbalance and that may be what you’re experiencing now. I hope I didn’t make that sound awful, but you should definately change what you’re doing. Check out Eric Cresseys “Shoulder Savers” articles and start doing some rows.

[quote]Skrussian wrote:
Yes it could. Your back and chest muscles can become imbalanced by doing extensive chest work and no back work. Also, benching pronates (pushes out) your scapula and rows and things pull back your scapula. If you aren’t doing back work your scapula can actually slowly tilt frontwards because of the imbalance and that may be what you’re experiencing now. I hope I didn’t make that sound awful, but you should definately change what you’re doing. Check out Eric Cresseys “Shoulder Savers” articles and start doing some rows. [/quote]

Thanks.
Should I stop benching for a few weeks to try to even out the imbalance or would it be better to play it by ear and just bench again when the discomfort goes away? (obviously while building back)

I would just trying switching things up for a bit. If it is really bothersome doing flat BB Bench, try dumbbells and different grips or even try incline instead of flat and see how it feels. Also, try switching up your pressing movements; some overhead presses possibly.

Also, I would strongly recommend push-ups. Great horizontal push exercise that still allows for scapular mobility. If BW push-ups are too easy, try using a weighted vest if available or just place a plate on your back.

-LH

[quote]LevelHeaded wrote:
I would just trying switching things up for a bit. If it is really bothersome doing flat BB Bench, try dumbbells and different grips or even try incline instead of flat and see how it feels. Also, try switching up your pressing movements; some overhead presses possibly.

Also, I would strongly recommend push-ups. Great horizontal push exercise that still allows for scapular mobility. If BW push-ups are too easy, try using a weighted vest if available or just place a plate on your back.

-LH[/quote]

Thanks.
I always seem to forget about pushups… Next chest day ill switch it up with some weighted pushups and see how that works out.

Yes push-ups are excellent.

Also you should try to have more back exercises then pressing for a short period at least until the pain goes away.

You do not have to stop benching all together. Once a week is great for maintenance and 2 or more will build some muscle.

To speed up the rear delt and back strength you can do them as frequently as you desire up until the platau. Before you put down this heavy volume tactic, remember that if you had to rehab a shoulder injury they would have you work that muscle every day until your stabilizing muscles have both strength and endurance.

Look up rock solid shoulders on this site and that should also help.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
Yes push-ups are excellent.

Also you should try to have more back exercises then pressing for a short period at least until the pain goes away.

You do not have to stop benching all together. Once a week is great for maintenance and 2 or more will build some muscle.

To speed up the rear delt and back strength you can do them as frequently as you desire up until the platau. Before you put down this heavy volume tactic, remember that if you had to rehab a shoulder injury they would have you work that muscle every day until your stabilizing muscles have both strength and endurance.

Look up rock solid shoulders on this site and that should also help.[/quote]

Thanks.
Very informative. Do you think that this would give me a complete back workout?

-4x5 Deadlift
-4x8 BB Bent over rows
-3x Pull-ups to failure
-3x8 Hang cleans