Shoulder/Delt Pain - Help Appreciated

I haven’t been lifting long, but I do have a pretty annoying problem and have had it for several months now. When performing bench press I have some pretty acute pain in my anterior deltoid area.

I noticed last night that Dips were also pretty much out of the question…pain in the same area. Upright barbell rows also cause some pretty intense pain at the deltoid insertion point to my upper arm bone (right where the deltoid tapers into the space between the triceps and the biceps).

I can do skull crushers with either dumbbells or barbells with no pain, as well as standing push presses. I can even do push-ups with just some initial / mild discomfort, but bench pressing the same relative weight is painful.

I’m now only working out my pushing movements 2 days a week, and even that may be too much. Any ideas or suggestions…?

Sounds like an internal impingement, or bursitis. There are numerous possible causes of the condition. Some are unique to your anatomy. In my case, a torn biceps faschia has caused my bicep tendon to rake across my shoulder joint, causing bursitis.

Check out these excellent articles by Eric Cressey. Anatomy, function, recommendations… it’s all explained in the 3 detailed articles. In addition, start taking a quality fish oil cap several times a day. It REALLY lessened the pain in my problem shoulder (reduces inflammation). Also, it’s a good idea to ice the area right after a workout if you have pain.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1053531
http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1055409
http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1153915

i’ve “fixed” injuries in the past by reducing weight and focusing on full rom curl(biceps) or press(shoulder), etc. to rehab the injured area.

you’ve got a tweak. I’d immediately stop upright rows and never do them again they are a notorious shoulder killer. I’ve been lifting weights since 1987 and have not done an upright row in over 16 years since reading the 7 minute rotator cuff solution.

I’d lay off the dips for the time being as they can be hard on the front delt too. You need to get it looked at. Not sure where in Texas you are but ART works like nothing else. Frequent my “shoulder” aches and hurts. I always think its the front delt, it never is. Its either been my pec, pec minor, biceps, lat or some the rotator cuff muscles. The shoulder has so many tendons, nerves and ligaments which all meet at that point its the most common area to have an impingement.

So that’s what you should stop. what you should start is doing twice as many sets and reps for your back as your chest. As well as some direct rotator cuff exercises. Face pulls are a great exercise that stretches the chest and front delt open as you contract your upper back muscles.

[quote]sapasion wrote:
you’ve got a tweak. I’d immediately stop upright rows and never do them again they are a notorious shoulder killer. I’ve been lifting weights since 1987 and have not done an upright row in over 16 years since reading the 7 minute rotator cuff solution.
I’d lay off the dips for the time being as they can be hard on the front delt too. You need to get it looked at. Not sure where in Texas you are but ART works like nothing else. Frequent my “shoulder” aches and hurts. I always think its the front delt, it never is. Its either been my pec, pec minor, biceps, lat or some the rotator cuff muscles. The shoulder has so many tendons, nerves and ligaments which all meet at that point its the most common area to have an impingement.

So that’s what you should stop. what you should start is doing twice as many sets and reps for your back as your chest. As well as some direct rotator cuff exercises. Face pulls are a great exercise that stretches the chest and front delt open as you contract your upper back muscles.[/quote]

Excellent advice! I have “The Seven-Minute Rotator Cuff Solution” as well, and have used its advice successfully in the past. Hard to find now, as it is out of print.

I had the same issue, went to a doctor (DO) who sent me to an orthopedic surgeon who gave me an mri then prescribed anti-inflamatory medicine and 8 weeks of therapy.

I feel like i was getting the brush off so i asked my friends at the gym and EVERYONE said to go to this Chiropractor, who evidently is a powerlifter and works out at my gym.

I was hesitant as i though Chiros were snake oil sales men. Anyhow, went him he said torn bicep and belt at the bone, he reviewed my xray and also saw i had a clavical and 2 ribs out of joint. I used to box, fyi.

Anyhow, less than 2 months later, i am doing supine bench, incline bench with little or no pain. I still have a little pain but NOTHING like it was and not the same type of pain. I do have to watch my form more now.

My point get checked out, don’t doubt alternate routes like a chiropractor or PT. It will pay off in the long run.