T Nation

Shoulder Corrective Exercises

Hey guys so my current program is very push heavy (rings planche and reverse muscle-up for those who know gymnastics terminology). I was looking for a good shoulder corrective exercise that's bang for buck and works the external rotators, rear delts, scap retractors and upper back.

So far I came across the Powell Raise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxK60HYw760

Anyone here done this movement? General tips or exercises you think are better? I chose this one over movements like band pull-aparts or band face-pulls (don't have access to a cable) which seem harder to progress compared to free weights.

Band pull apart are easy to progress: when you first do them (with a mini) hold the band with the ends of the loop just 'peeping out of your hand (pinky side) gradually work your hands in, in by inch.

Band pull aparts, shoulder dislocations, and 100 rep single arm battling ropes side or front raises

I’ve done the Powell Raise as part of a different Diesel Crew shoulder warm-up routine. The way one hand supports while the other hand raises the dumbbell makes it a great move. But after awhile it get less cool, then I just rotate on to something else.

Band Pull Apart
Scarecrows
Cuban Presses
All kinds of inverted rows/facepulls holding onto gymnastic rings/TRX/blast straps
High Rep Low Weight Rear Delt Riases
Seated Upper Back GM’s with a Yoke/Cambered Bar
1 Arm Dumbbell Snatches
Push Up Plus/T-Spine Extensions

In my opinion these sorts of moves should always be in the routine, almost every workout. Pick a couple, and do a few high reps sets as part of warmups, before the big stuff. When they start to feel less effective move on to the next group and do those for 2-3 weeks, then try something else.

pull ups…

dafuq do people make shit so complicated

[quote]Jarvan wrote:
dafuq do people make shit so complicated[/quote]
This kid (who’s 16 or 17 tops) has a very long history of overcomplicating things and program-hopping in a constant quest for something better.

Pull-ups are the simplest answer, but really, “follow a well-designed plan for longer than four weeks at some point in the last three years” would’ve been the better route.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]Jarvan wrote:
dafuq do people make shit so complicated[/quote]
This kid (who’s 16 or 17 tops) has a very long history of overcomplicating things and program-hopping in a constant quest for something better.

Pull-ups are the simplest answer, but really, “follow a well-designed plan for longer than four weeks at some point in the last three years” would’ve been the better route.[/quote]

In a way I can understand that. I remember being intrigued by fancy exercises, templates, etc when I first started. Didn’t know OP was 16.

Heavyish dumbell rear delts raises works well for me, 5x5