Shoulder Clicking

Guys i need some help. I’m kinda scared cuz my shoulder makes a click sound everytime a do overhead presses especially behind the neck ones. Even when i do the motion without weights it clicks. However there is no pain. it is on the posterior side of my shoulder.

Any ideas, i’m freaking out, i hope it isnt some injury

That’s never good.

[quote]jnev wrote:
Guys i need some help. I’m kinda scared cuz my shoulder makes a click sound everytime a do overhead presses especially behind the neck ones. Even when i do the motion without weights it clicks. However there is no pain. it is on the posterior side of my shoulder.

Any ideas, i’m freaking out, i hope it isnt some injury [/quote]

I’m far from being medically trained so I’m not even gonna attempt to tell you what’s wrong. I will however say that I had a similar problem in my shoulder for some time. Turns out the clicking is my biceps tendon rolling over a small cyst on my bone. Some exercises are not possible anymore if I don’t want to irritate the issue. Moral of the story, don’t wait too long to get it checked out, and not on a forum.

Switch your weight down 50% and pyramid up and stop at the weight it clicks at, and just go back down in weight.

If its a real issue, then it would click if you did a weightless air press ~

• please attempt this and see if your shoulder still clicks.

My shoulder used to click but I lowered the weight and just worked on the 6-12 rep region or higher at times and when I went back to heavier weights the clicking was gone.

Just my own experience.

Physical injuries tend to revolve around, pulling or straining a tendon or ligament.

This is generally accompanied by sharp pain and gnashing of teeth ~

Oh and Ive hurt both my shoulders in the past, totaling 3 shoulder injuries so I have some prior experience. So make sure to store the ego away even if you have to do pink dumbell presses. Your shoulders should be treated with respect hehe.

I thought behind the neck exercises were bad for the shoulders.

The clicking sound could be scar tissue, not necessarily a real bad thing. As long as it doesn’t hurt.

I would drop the behind the neck presses. The clicking is more than likely a tendon rolling over something or out of place. Make sure to ice your shoulder down after training and take a shitload of fish oils.

Unfortunately for me, I am very experienced with shoulder injuries.

[quote]kinein wrote:
Switch your weight down 50% and pyramid up and stop at the weight it clicks at, and just go back down in weight.

If its a real issue, then it would click if you did a weightless air press ~

• please attempt this and see if your shoulder still clicks.

My shoulder used to click but I lowered the weight and just worked on the 6-12 rep region or higher at times and when I went back to heavier weights the clicking was gone.

Just my own experience.

Physical injuries tend to revolve around, pulling or straining a tendon or ligament.

This is generally accompanied by sharp pain and gnashing of teeth ~

Oh and Ive hurt both my shoulders in the past, totaling 3 shoulder injuries so I have some prior experience. So make sure to store the ego away even if you have to do pink dumbell presses. Your shoulders should be treated with respect hehe.

[/quote]

Yeah i actually think i might have loaded the shoulders with too much weight to soon, resulting in this injury. I will give your suggestion a try. Also behind the neck presses are NOT bad, if you spend sufficent time strengthening the rhomboids, traps and rear delts.

Thank you i will keep you updated! Cheers!

Oddly enough today I wrote about the same exact message about my shoulder clicking and was told to post it here. My left shoulder clicks at all times, training and not training, all I have to do is rotate my left shoulder back slightly and it starts clicking away. It’s not painful, per se, but it is uncomfortable. In fact, it almost hurts less once I’m training. THe only exercise where it really bothers me is the incline bench press.

I’m not familiar with foam rolling (or using a tennis ball), but would that help? Should I stop doing shoulder exercises? I’ll get it checked by my physician, but I’m always weary of what they say because it always begins with the word, “rest”. And, I’m finally making some significant gains in my weight training and I don’t want to stop.

actually i had the same thing from playing football, im a tight end and blockin is tought on the shoulders, and it turned out that i had a slight tear of the labrum. it wasnt a big deal no surgery just some physical therpy. still clicks once in a while but there is no pain and im back to lifting full strenth

Obviously I don’t know what’s wrong with any of you but here’s a generic thingy that’s worked for me. Shoulder rehab stretch:

Do it slower than the video shows though. Also, when you start out you won’t be as flexible as that guy so just use a much wider grip. I use a bath towel since I don’t have a long enough stick.

Here is a few tips…

Stand in front of the mirror and stand with your normal posture. Look at your hands. If you can see any other knuckles than the first two (index and middle) then you may have internal shoulder rotation due to either tight pecs or a combination of tight internal rotators (lats, pecs) and weak external rotators (posterior delts, teres minor).

Next, look at your elbows, if they turned in - then you upper arm )humerus) is definitely rotated in due to the reasons I described above - that or your a Neanderthal :wink:

How to fix it?
Lay off the heavy bench moves and focus on intense stretching of the pecs and strengthening the external rotators. Dollars to donuts you are hitting the presses more than the back and are much stronger here so your workouts tend to be geared towards heavy shoulders and chest workouts. Focus on a 3:2 ratio of back to chest moves for awhile until your shoulders straighten out. Get in for a massage and get your pecs stripped.

The clicking is most likley your long head biceps tendon rolling in the small sub-acromial space in the top of your shoulder. You have three tendons in there and one small space. If one gets inflammed the others soon will too.

Add this exercise…
Never more than 10lbs…start at 90 degree angle in front of your body - wrist at your chest (like you are finishing a hammer curl). Lift straight across your face and finish at 90 degrees at the elbow and 90 degrees at the underarm… When you get to the top you want to create a little “pinch” in the back of your shoulder. Do 3 sets of 10-15 - 3 times per week. Don’t try to be a hero and use more weight…it is not necessary. You can do this without weights and still help yourself.
Ice for 10 mins after your done your upper body workouts. In 2-6 weeks you should show and feel results.

i had a similar problem because of swimming and a chest/back strength imbalance. what i did to fix it was only doing pushups for chest work and doing reverse pushups, rows, and rear delt flies to strengthen my back muscles (rear delts primarily). it worked pretty well and my shoulders hardly ever bother me anymore.

Indeed do update as time progresses.

“The clicking is most likley your long head biceps tendon rolling in the small sub-acromial space in the top of your shoulder. You have three tendons in there and one small space. If one gets inflammed the others soon will too.”

i think this could be the problem as i usually train back more then chest, because my chest responds alot faster.

Dude but i dont get your last exercise? pics?

The clicking has gone down a little. Been strecthing and massaging it with anti inflammatory cream.

How the hell does the tendon get inflammed anyway and can i still train or do i have to lay off?

Thank you all so far! Its been quite stressful for me but at least you guys have bothered to take some time off to help me!

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
OK, here’s my take, as an ‘evidence based’ chiro student and avid lifter who has also had shoulder rehab issues.

Firstly, without a proper examination, you will never know what exactly is clicking. BUT, there is obviously some form of instability/early degeneration there, that was not there before. Not good.

It could be long head of biceps tendon, it could be a subacromial bone spur (not likely), AC joint instability or GH joint instability (quite possible).

Now, my recommendation would be to drop the behind neck press. It is not a sesnsible exercise choice for anyone, let alone someone who wants to maintain healthy shoulders. Why? because you have the joint at maximal end range, in a tight-packed position, where various structures that should only be approximated once in a blue moon, are being forced together and ground against each other with weight applied.

Anyway, besides stopping the BN press, you should look at incorporating some sound rehab exercises into your programme, to strengthen the rotator cuff muscles and help centrate the head of the humerus in the GH joint.

Here is a link to what I consider to be a good shoulder rehab/prehab routine:

Bushy[/quote]

I totally agree with the dropping behind the head pressing. If you do behind the head pull downs you should drop those to. In addition to what Bushy said you should also include a lot of face pulls. They will help stabilize the shoulder. Start with 10-12 reps.

its all right here…

http://www.T-Nation.com/article/bodybuilding/out_of_kilter_iv&cr=