T Nation

Shoulder Clicking

Hi, I’m hoping for a bit of friendly advice. Perhaps you guys can point me in the right direction.

When I move my right arm in a “rotator cuff extension” motion (I don’t remember the proper word for this. I mean when I hold my right arm out to the side, parallel to the shoulder, elbow bent, forearm up, and rotate my shoulder joint until my forearm is parallel to the ground, then repeat) I feel and hear a “click” in my shoulder. This only happens on my right side.

Any ideas about whats wrong? Any hints on how to fix this? I have Not been doing a lot of pressing lately because of this (I have done a bit) but it doesn’t seem to be getting any better. Should I lay off benching and pressing altogether for awhile? Is there a particular exercise that would help?

Thanks in advance. Let me know if I should provide more info…

Well, if it’s something that has been plaguing you for a while, and something that is evident in your workouts, you should see a specialist. The shoulder is a very complicated structure of muscle and ligaments, and if you’re having trouble with it that doesn’t seem to go away, see someone that is knowlegable. Don’t risk a lifetime injury, seek help.

Clicking is mostly OK. Grinding is not.

The movement you describe is actually an exercise I have been given to combat my clicking shoulder joints.

Go and have a chat with your doctor. He’ll prob not have an answer and send you to a physio.

Seems there are a lot of shoulder problems just recently.

See these for my other responses:

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1732569

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1733419

Thanks for the info guys. I noticed the clicking start about a month or so ago. If it doesn’t go away after a month or so I’ll probably head to the doc.

[quote]Gambit_Lost wrote:
Thanks for the info guys. I noticed the clicking start about a month or so ago. If it doesn’t go away after a month or so I’ll probably head to the doc.
[/quote]

During this time, pay attention to what exercises and movements that cause the clicking. Make a mental note of those that are the worst for your shoulder. This is so you have a good amount of info to give to your doc if you need to go.

My shoulders have always been clicking. I don’t consider it a big deal.

If it’s painful or more of a grinding sound then you may wanna see a specialist. Otherwise, stretching and good fats are your friends.

[quote]Gambit_Lost wrote:
Hi, I’m hoping for a bit of friendly advice. Perhaps you guys can point me in the right direction.

When I move my right arm in a “rotator cuff extension” motion (I don’t remember the proper word for this. I mean when I hold my right arm out to the side, parallel to the shoulder, elbow bent, forearm up, and rotate my shoulder joint until my forearm is parallel to the ground, then repeat) I feel and hear a “click” in my shoulder. This only happens on my right side.

Any ideas about whats wrong? Any hints on how to fix this? I have Not been doing a lot of pressing lately because of this (I have done a bit) but it doesn’t seem to be getting any better. Should I lay off benching and pressing altogether for awhile? Is there a particular exercise that would help?

Thanks in advance. Let me know if I should provide more info… [/quote]

That is not a natural movement of the shoulder, both mine click when I do that. So I’d stay away from the Cuban press for sure, I think that’s a horrible movement even though it has been touted as a “therapeutic” movement for the should girdle.

Some clicking is OK, but those violent ones, the ones you can feel as well as hear should be avoided. If your worried about it stick with dumbbells and cables for shoulder movements. This will allow free movement in each shoulder joint. Improving you shoulder strength will help, not hurt your shoulders. Over the long haul, having correct form is very important for shoulders.

Bottom line is this: Clicking you can hear, is OK. Clicking you can feel is not. Avoid movements that cause the latter.
Strong shoulders are healthy shoulders.

[quote]pat36 wrote:
Gambit_Lost wrote:
Hi, I’m hoping for a bit of friendly advice. Perhaps you guys can point me in the right direction.

When I move my right arm in a “rotator cuff extension” motion (I don’t remember the proper word for this. I mean when I hold my right arm out to the side, parallel to the shoulder, elbow bent, forearm up, and rotate my shoulder joint until my forearm is parallel to the ground, then repeat) I feel and hear a “click” in my shoulder. This only happens on my right side.

Any ideas about whats wrong? Any hints on how to fix this? I have Not been doing a lot of pressing lately because of this (I have done a bit) but it doesn’t seem to be getting any better. Should I lay off benching and pressing altogether for awhile? Is there a particular exercise that would help?

Thanks in advance. Let me know if I should provide more info…

That is not a natural movement of the shoulder, both mine click when I do that. So I’d stay away from the Cuban press for sure, I think that’s a horrible movement even though it has been touted as a “therapeutic” movement for the should girdle.

Some clicking is OK, but those violent ones, the ones you can feel as well as hear should be avoided. If your worried about it stick with dumbbells and cables for shoulder movements. This will allow free movement in each shoulder joint. Improving you shoulder strength will help, not hurt your shoulders. Over the long haul, having correct form is very important for shoulders.

Bottom line is this: Clicking you can hear, is OK. Clicking you can feel is not. Avoid movements that cause the latter.
Strong shoulders are healthy shoulders.[/quote]

Correct.

Not to get off topic, but I have found a couple of exercises that have really helped my shoulder strength and flexibility.

One is the turkish get up and the second is the one armed dumbell press. Both of these really make you control the weight with your shoulder. Lately I’ve been doing these exercises in an effort to build my standing press that has been stuck at 115lbs for a while.

Thanks a lot for the information.

I started this post because on that particular night my shoulder was “violently” clicking. The “feel and hear” kind discussed above.

Thanks for the advice regarding exercises to do.

The motion I’ve described above–> is it a good one? Should I stop doing that? I thought it was a “healing” exercise, but what do I know?

Fats–> yeah, I bought Flameout and am on the anabolic diet, so I’m getting plenty of good fats now. I’m hoping the Flameout will help.