Shoulder/C-Spine

Been back to lifting after a few years off and had minor shoulder surgery (removed a ligement and bone from the acromion also a small tear which did not require repare) in the beginning of the year also have herniated discs in the C-Spine. Both injuries were work related. I started lifting agian roughtly 8 months after the surgery and completed my rehab (or so I thought).

I really would like opinions, thoughts, comments, and advice from anyone who has gone through this. Basically want any comments on the below questions.

1. Is it normal that benching with DB’s bug my shoulder ?
  2. Is it normal that the shoulder still feels awkward or uncomfortable at times ?
  3. There is some muscle atrophy because of the pinched nerve ( herniated disc) at the top and towards the top rear of the shoulder (dont know shit about anatomy sorry ) are lateral/front raises and reverse flies the best and only way to build up the muscle ?
  4. OHPressing doesn’t bother me at all but i still do not perform the lift. Should i ?
  5. What lifts should I stay away from and what lifts should I be doing.

Home gym wth the following equipment.
Olympic and standard loading DB’s
EZ bar
various KB’s
Low/high pulley with the following attachment wide lat pull bar, tricep rope, small bar (tricep pushdowns)
A lever arm kind of like a smith machine. Can do rows and benching. I used this for benching to each into it before I started using the DB’s.
Pull up bar

Will be purchasing a trap bar too.

Any houghts advice or personal expeirances will gladly be appreciated. I really want to get to lifting and feeling stronger but feel like I may have been over confident. I thought 8 to 10 months out I would be 100 percent

Cmon I know there has to be someone with a similar story

What was the shoulder injury that lead to surgery? It sounds like you had shoulder decompression surgery.

I was in a physical altercation at work the next day my arm and neck hurt like hell. I did not get neck surgery though I would really like to put that off or not get it at all

If dbells hurt try switching to neutral grip or a slight incline bench.
Since the surgery removed some bone and a ligament, there could be some increased laxity. This shouldn’t be an issue if you followed surgery with the proper rehab protocol.
As for the atrophy, I would think that compound movements will be better for you. I would also include a shoulder stabilization protocol (usually done with therabands or minimal weight).
If overhead work doesn’t cause pain you should be good, just be conservative with it.

For a complete eval you should see a sports med doc or a PT for shoulder instability/weakness. (If insurance and money allows)

[quote]rlBanda wrote:
If dbells hurt try switching to neutral grip or a slight incline bench.
Since the surgery removed some bone and a ligament, there could be some increased laxity. This shouldn’t be an issue if you followed surgery with the proper rehab protocol.
As for the atrophy, I would think that compound movements will be better for you. I would also include a shoulder stabilization protocol (usually done with therabands or minimal weight).
If overhead work doesn’t cause pain you should be good, just be conservative with it.

For a complete eval you should see a sports med doc or a PT for shoulder instability/weakness. (If insurance and money allows)[/quote]

I do allot of face pulls and band pullaparts is that good for shoulder stabilization ? I don’t use a barbell but when I use a overhand grip on the machine (similar to smith machine) it doesn’t bother me I mix that up with dbs . I suspect my issues are coming from my neck I think I have to learn to take it out of the equation meaning not tensing it too much when lifting (easier said than done)

Try this
http://orthodoc.aaos.org/drmoola/Scapular%20Stabilization%20Exercises.pdf

Skip to phase 2, rotator cuff strengthening. Add this to your routine and keep training as long as it doesn’t cause pain. Definitely get the neck checked out, an HNP could impinge part of the brachial plexus and cause pain and/or weakness.

[quote]rlBanda wrote:
Try this
http://orthodoc.aaos.org/drmoola/Scapular%20Stabilization%20Exercises.pdf

Skip to phase 2, rotator cuff strengthening. Add this to your routine and keep training as long as it doesn’t cause pain. Definitely get the neck checked out, an HNP could impinge part of the brachial plexus and cause pain and/or weakness. [/quote]

Cool link I just have to Google some of the terminology will try youtube as well.

Did my back routine today and all was well trying to do more pulling than pushing. Came out to around 20 sets. Felt good though and warmed up with band pullaparts and face pulls.

Could the bicep and forearm burning be coming from the herniated discs

Yes. Numbness, tingling, and burning are a sign that there is a nerve issue. The brachial plexus innervates from your shoulders to your fingers (C5-T1).

[quote]rlBanda wrote:
Yes. Numbness, tingling, and burning are a sign that there is a nerve issue. The brachial plexus innervates from your shoulders to your fingers (C5-T1). [/quote]

Do u have any tips in regards to training with this type of injury.

Chest and shoulders went OK.
Are shrugs good or bad to do with a cervical disc herniation?
I read a little about brachial plexus and said shrugs help with this but not sure if they r OK to do…

The levator scapula is a shrugging muscle, albeit a small one, but if your HNP is anywhere at this level it may be painful for you.

Since it has been months since the initial injury and you still have nerve issues, I would suggest you see a doc or get a referral to a PT/OT. The HNP seems to be impinging on a nerve still, the symptoms are minor but I don’t want to see you lose total function to an area because of this.

Rlbanda,
Sorry for not being more clear the initial injury happened over a year ago. I went to ortho (performed the impingement surgery) and neurologist for the c-spine) and did pt. The neuro said that surgery is an option but not a nessesity at this point. He also said I could lift again. Due to work and family requirements I want to put surgery off for as long as possible . When it acts up I do a shit load of McKenzie stracthes and the pain dissipates. I kind of have to reprogram how I train so far I have eliminated back squats, ohp and high pulls. Not sure about shrugs though.

Really appreciate the help

Took a week off and was feeling better I did back and legs yesterday and felt no pain but when I did a set of ez bar curl I immediately felt the burning in my neck trap and bicep why would that happen

Took a week off and was feeling better I did back and legs yesterday and felt no pain but when I did a set of ez bar curl I immediately felt the burning in my neck trap and bicep why would that happen

Was thinking about doing a program with less volume and more weight like 5x5 or 5/3/1 I think the higher volume stuff is aggravating the injuries. Any thoughts