Shoulder Bursitis: When can I start Training Again?

Posted a while back about messing up my left shoulder. Anyway, I went to the doctor and it turned out to be “Shoulder Bursitis.” My doctor (who still believes 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight is bad) told me to stay away from the weight room for at least 6 weeks.

Anyway its been a little over 3 weeks now and there is only pain when I’m pushing something or in the morning (if I’ve slept on it). I injured myself by over exerting on push ups and probably way too many dips.

I know that heavy push exercises are probably out of the question but can I do chin ups, rows, dead lifts, DB flys, suit case squats? Also, is there ANYWAY to work out my shoulder? Should I just wait the full 6 weeks. Its driving me crazy man…I’m sure some of you guys understand. I just want to get back in it.

So i guess my questions are…

When can I begin lifting again (based on your experiences)?

What kind of routine/lifts should I stick to?

I had that, according to my chiro a year or so ago. I didn’t know what it was, nor do I think he did, so I just stayed off it until it felt better, iced it a lot, and when it did start to feel better, I worked it back slowly.

I had shoulder surgery. Rehab consisted of very light weight for high reps, 2x15 or 3x10, or any combination to total 30 reps for each movement. I still work the internal and external rotations from the cable cross over machine as a warm up on shoulder day.

Rehab program was called Pitchers 10. Also recommend working the shoulders through the Y, T, W, L prone raises. They have been written about on this site. Anything that gets the blood flowing and the muscle warmed up, before you decide to test yourself.

busitis is inflammation of the bursa which is a sac of fluid located in your shoulder joint.

If you have properly layed off of it, iced, maybe some anti inflammatories you should have no pain after your 3-6 weeks. 6 weeks sounds a bit much but you might need it.

Being it still hurts I say rest/ice repeat. Maybe some ibuprofen, naproxen, etc. See if your doc will prescribe you some.

If it still hurts after all this rest you might have a further problem besides bursitis.

The shoulder is a nasty joint to injure, so I wouldn’t overdo it because you can’t wait to get in the gym.

I completely understand man, I had a small shoulder impingement and some swelling earlier this year. You have to force yourself to take some time off that shoulder.

I would avoid any and all lifting that involves that arm/shoulder.

In an optimistic view you can work legs :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Good luck man, I hope it gets better.

Gerdy

I had shoulder surgery 6 weeks ago. First 2 weeks were no training, only ROM stuff. After 2 weeks the doc cleared me to start rehabbing. He said mucho stretching pre and post workout and to start with 25% of my training weights increasing 25% every 10 days.

Shoulders suck, good luck

[quote]49ersFan81 wrote:
I know that heavy push exercises are probably out of the question but can I do chin ups, rows, dead lifts, DB flys, suit case squats? Also, is there ANYWAY to work out my shoulder? Should I just wait the full 6 weeks. Its driving me crazy man…I’m sure some of you guys understand. I just want to get back in it.

So i guess my questions are…

When can I begin lifting again (based on your experiences)?

What kind of routine/lifts should I stick to?[/quote] you should check out a t- nation article named fight the injuries blues or something like that me , him & you have similiar injuries he shows you certain workouts to maintain & rebuild strength ! good luck