Shoulder & BB Curls?

My Right shoulder rises when doing BB Curls.

whats causing this? id really like to work it out since the right shoulder is also the one thats been giving me other trouble… . I noticed this today when doing some barbell curls… . it may happen a little with db but certainly not as much. …

I was thinking its perhaps a lower trapezius thing… . any ideas on how to fix it? thanks.

Sounds like a good question for Eric Cressey, he seems to know a bit about shoulder issues, if it is indeed a shoulder issue. Now I’m interested in what could be causing this.

You might find your shoulder is not the problem. It may be over compensating for weaker areas. When the shoulders come into play when curling it usually means the biceps are not strong enough for the weight.

There was a recent article that covered this - bi exercises that remove the delts from the equation are a good bet. Use the cable crossover machine on the top setting and curling the arms like a front double bi pose will help give the shoulders a rest and strengthen the biceps.

Hopefully someone else will be able to point you to the article as it will explain it a little more clearly!!

Q.

Elbow position has a lot to do with recruiting the shoulders in a biceps movement.

Try to keep your elbows tucked at your side. This will take the shoulders out of play. People want to laugh at Arnold’s “Armblaster” - but that’s exactly what it does - it keeps the elbows tucked, and back so that you are placing all the stress on the biceps.

Preacher curls do the same thing - it locks the elbows into position such that you cannot recruit the shoulders.

Concentration curls with your elbow against the inside of your thigh are good for this too. Plus you can spot your self with the other hand on occasion.

no its not the anterior deltoid bringing the arm up to complete the curl like you see so many guys doing… . its the whole shoulder! I allways try to keep my form strict this is why its annoying me so much… .

I dont think my arms are different lengths so I cant think of an explanation for one shoulder rising up except weak lower traps… . the problem isnt as noticable with heavy dumbbell curls but obviously I want to go as heavy as possible and use a barbell as well. …

If you can move your shoulder at all with your elbows tucked at your side - you have an extra joint somewhere and need to get on Ripley’s Believe It or Not.

I think it might be weak scapular stabilization. If your scapula is winging (flaring out) then its probably why your shoulder is moving up during bb curls. Overactive upper traps tend to neurological inhibit the scapular stabilizers. I’ve had ART sessions for the last couple weeks to address this exact problem. I also found my shoulder was lifting during lat pulldowns.

EC and MR have a few articles addressing scapular stability. You could get them a try.

Hope this helps.

[quote]Gl;itch.e wrote:
no its not the anterior deltoid bringing the arm up to complete the curl like you see so many guys doing… . its the whole shoulder! I allways try to keep my form strict this is why its annoying me so much… .
[/quote]

It sounds like your rotator cuff or serratus anterior muscles are too weak. You’ll need to strengthen and condition these to hold your shoulder joint in place while doing curls.

I suggest a visit to an orthopedist or sports medicine doc to get an Rx for some Phy Therapy sessions.