Shoulder (A/C) Injury

Recovered from A/C injury but would like a few pointer please with shoulder rehab/maintenance moves.

From an article by Eric Cressey I now intend to not train shoulders separately (great for time) but to do some presses say one night/week with my back training.

For maintenance I do PNF rotator cuff cable work (high/low, mid and low/high for 6 sets each side, each for 10 reps) and prone trap raise (3 set 10 reps) 2/3 times/wk as well as kelso shrugs, rear delt laterals and face pulls. I also try to do ratio of 2:1 pull to push moves.

May I ask:

Face pulls are always best done with a rope and a neutral grip?

Should I look to depress and retract shoulder blades even when benching with dbells?

I’m stronger at internal rotator moves to external. Is this natural? And should I look to use more weight for externals (or less for internals) to redress balance?

I guess it’s fine to do rotator cuff moves indefinately, as a regular part of my routine?

I read somewhere about balancing out open chain moves (barbell benching) with closed chain moves (push ups). Does this simply mean do same amount of sets of push ups as bench presses (and not same amount of reps as I can do loads of push ups)?

Finally, is the foam roller available in the UK please or if not, is it something I could make myself (are there any dimensions to adhere to if I can produce a DIY version)?

Thanks

Tennis Balls, Duct Tape, Your done!
http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1259323

I separated my shoulder about a year and a half ago, and I kept trying to PT it, but that shit never helped. It wasn’t until I actually took about 3 months and went out of my way to not jar my shoulder, that it got healed. Now I’m not saying that’s what you need to do, but I think I took the advice of too many people to rush back and if I had taken my time when I originally hurt it, I think I could have been back to traing months earlier than I ended up being.

Good luck man.

Cheers guys, thought so about the foam roller but wanted to check. Got all clear to train again following months of physio, was just after some general pointers to help. Read various articles but, not being having a Masters in Biomechanics it’s hard finding good advice.

Face pulls are always best done with a rope and a neutral grip?

-Not sure what the question is…neutral grip stresses shoulders less. You can use bands instead of a pulley system.

Should I look to depress and retract shoulder blades even when benching with dbells?

-Yes.

I’m stronger at internal rotator moves to external. Is this natural? And should I look to use more weight for externals (or less for internals) to redress balance?

-Not sure, but I think your pec major/lat strength balance would be a lot more important than rotator cuff muscle balance because they just don’t produce that much force in comparison.

I guess it’s fine to do rotator cuff moves indefinately, as a regular part of my routine?

-Yes, I usually put them at the end.

I read somewhere about balancing out open chain moves (barbell benching) with closed chain moves (push ups). Does this simply mean do same amount of sets of push ups as bench presses (and not same amount of reps as I can do loads of push ups)?

-I haven’t heard of that. What purpose would it serve?

Nobody answered your other questions so I decided to take a stab.

Back on the face pull topic - been told not to do lateral raises (due to position of shoulder at top of move I think)- is it ok to do face pulls or is there an element of the shoulder being in the same position as at the top of a lateral raise? thanks