T Nation

Should You Pull Bar Apart?

I am wondering about this i can’t seem to find any good information on it so i am going to post here, i notice when doing practice overhead pressing (with a broom) the bar seems more stable when i press it overhead so my questions are:

Is there any advantage to pulling the bar apart besides stability?
Is it disadvantageous?

(in both bench pressing and overhead pressing specifically)

i believe pulling the bar apart or pushing it together simply changes what muscles the focus is on

this is a good strategy for max reps; for bodybuilding i’m not sure what the benefits are besides tweaking the muscular emphasis

ok thanks :slight_smile: would it be dangerous in the long term doing it though?

The main consequence of always either 1) pushing it together OR 2) pulling it apart would be having one’s pressing become shoulder/pec dominant or triceps dominant. Other factors such as grip style will be very relevant for this development, though, and I would use the pushing/pulling strategies in conjunction with a grip style.

I would consider what exercise one is doing and why and behave accordingly to maximize the desired benefit:

For instance, if one were trying to hit max reps on flat bench and they used a closer than traditional grip, then when their muscles become fatigued it might be beneficial to imagine pushing the bar together to increase pec recruitment because a closer grip typically relies more on triceps strength.

Alternatively, if one were doing close-grip bench press for triceps development, they would probably not do the pushing the bar together strategy because it could lessen the recruitment of the tri’s.

so in the long run the pulling apart style would make your pressing dominant by your triceps and presumably shoulders? this would be a bad thing right? should i stick to the “normal” grip and just press it that way for overall reliability/growth of all muscles involved in the pressing movement?

[quote]ChocolateChips wrote:
so in the long run the pulling apart style would make your pressing dominant by your triceps and presumably shoulders? this would be a bad thing right? should i stick to the “normal” grip and just press it that way for overall reliability/growth of all muscles involved in the pressing movement?[/quote]
Too much thought. Imagine letting go of the bar completely. Notice the direction that the weight takes. Move the bar in the other direction.
Follow a simple, thorough program as it is written. Just pick any basic one. Eat quality foods. Get quality sleep. 2.5 hours per day including travel, warm up, etc, 4x per week. 10/168ths of your week.