Should We Get Rid Of The Penny?

There’s a political problem.

For one thing, the states where copper comes from (primarily Arizona, a I believe) would raise a stink.

The senators from that state would lobby against it.

Same for the states that mine zinc.

Furthermore, one of the heads of the committee that submits bills that concern currency to the Congress used to be (maybe still is) from Illinois, the land of Lincoln.

Since Lincoln’s on the penny, the bill would never have gotten a vote.

Strange but true.

Plus, they are just absolutely filthy. Ever notice how a penny can get about at thousand times more disgusting than a quarter (or dime, or nickel)? It’s because 99 out of 100 people will leave that penny on the ground when they wouldn’t have thought twice about the quarter. But, of course, some tightwad has to come around and put that germ ridden currency back into circulation.

I am a bit of a sentimentalist.

Save the penny!

[quote]tonymoore wrote:
In Australia we got rid of our 1 and 2 cent coins quite some time ago. Everything gets rounded up or down to the nearest 5 cents. Works fine.[/quote]

I lived in Germany 10 years back, they got rid of all the $.01 and rounded as well. It worked great, I loved it.

So if I went to a bank and asked for say, $1000 all in pennies, I could find a way to melt it down and actually make more money from selling it?

I wonder how much money it would cost to go through the process of melting them and selling them.

Aren’t they made of 2 different metals though? Would it be hard to separate them?

SWR next time you have an idea to make money…private message me first

ya just an uptade:

i finally read the responses in the Costco magazine about the penny issue and here’s what i found:

2 yes:

• believed that it isn’t worth making anymore due to inflation
  • stated the infamous example of some european nation that god rid of its 1 and 2 cent coins

1 no, which is by far the stupidest explanation ive heard:

• believes that children at a younger age learn better with pennies because its believed that if they think in money sense, math would b much easier taught and understood

so y again wouldn’t the government eliminate the penny? because of the politics?

[quote]spacepirate wrote:
I was just in the Netherlands and they have done away with the 1 and 2 cent. That seemed the most convenient:
5,10,20,50cents,1Euro,2,5,10,20…
The coins are nice and big, no question as to how much you have. Plus, the Euro bills are different sizes. I thought they might do this when the US introduced new currency to make things easier on the blind.

~Mandy~ wrote:
Don’t get me started on the Euro…

1 cent, 2 cent, 5 cent, 10 cent, 20 cent, 50 cent…

Even our Euro 1 Dollar is a coin, then there is the 2 dollar coin too!

[/quote]

But why the 2 Euro coin? It is redundant, eh? As well as the 20 Euro cent coin!

We still have the 1 and 2 Euro cent, btw.

One of the problems, IMHO, with the sizing and colors of the Euro bills is that you can NOT hide what you have in your wallet. As the denomination of the bill raises so does the size and the color changes as well.

The dollar you can roll your higher bills toward the inside for safety reasons with the Euro you can not do that. You open up your wallet, and yes even the blind can see how much of what you have.

You can see the difference in sizes/color in the photo that I am attaching.

Not saying that I would like to trade my Euros in for $$$ smiling

Down with the penny!

– ElbowStrike

Wait until us canadians get out $5 coin first…