Should We Get Rid Of The Penny?

I saw a question in a Costco magazine that asked this same question. Although i havent read all the replies fully, i do remember two yeses and one no.

personally, i think that we should. i mean how often do u see people use pennies, let alone nickels? people nowadays simply use credit cards instead of just cash.

what r ur thoughts on this?

It would be too complicated just to get rid of it. Although, it probably would make things a little simpler.

yes

Get rid of pennies and nickels. It costs more to make them then they’re even worth.

Yes.

I remember reading an article about this too, and I remember agreeing with the reasons to get rid of it, but now I forgot what those reasons were.

In Australia we got rid of our 1 and 2 cent coins quite some time ago. Everything gets rounded up or down to the nearest 5 cents. Works fine.

Everybody can send their pennies to me.

[quote]tonymoore wrote:
In Australia we got rid of our 1 and 2 cent coins quite some time ago. Everything gets rounded up or down to the nearest 5 cents. Works fine.[/quote]

see now thats an idea.

i dont know what it is with me, but my favorite numbers are those that r divisible by 5; anything else that ends with like a 21.13 pisses the shit out of me

This idea was put to congress a while back, but it was thought to be a “Tax on the poor” since businesses would damn sure not round down and would program everything to round up to the nearest nickle.

I doubt it will pass for the same reason, however I think we should just get rid of them. It was actually worth something maybe 70 years ago, but not a dollar is barely worth anything.

Don’t get me started on the Euro…

1 cent, 2 cent, 5 cent, 10 cent, 20 cent, 50 cent…

Even our Euro 1 Dollar is a coin, then there is the 2 dollar coin too!

[quote]~Mandy~ wrote:

1? cent, 2? cent, 5? cent, 10? cent, 20? cent, 50? cent…

Even our Euro 1 Dollar is a coin, then there is the 2? dollar coin too! [/quote]

As TonyMoore said above, in Aus we got rid of the shitty little coins ages ago and after some grumblings it was all soon forgotten about. No drama’s at all. We have $1 & $2 coins and they work fine too.
Blokes have a habit of throwing their pocket coins into a jar, reckon it’s the same the world over. For the blokes it’s a great thing, you manage to save a shitload of money in coinage.
Assuming you can keep the missus and kids away from your coin jar that is.

ive read that they do that on US military bases as well

This guys got a great idea:
http://brainlitter.blogspot.com/2006/03/i-hate-pennies-because-they-are-stupid.html

I like what this guy’s thinking:
http://brainlitter.blogspot.com/2006/03/i-hate-pennies-because-they-are-stupid.html

Sorry about the double post, I didn’t think the first one went through.

I agree with someone elses statement. It would be alot of trouble to get rid of it, but after it is all said and done it would make things easier.

I’m for getting rid of the nichels and dimes as well

they still had a lot of worth until the 70s,soonly 30 yeas ago,not 70

but yea im all for getting rid of them,me and my friends dont even spend them,we use them as projectile weapons

I was just in the Netherlands and they have done away with the 1 and 2 cent. That seemed the most convenient:
5,10,20,50cents,1Euro,2,5,10,20…
The coins are nice and big, no question as to how much you have. Plus, the Euro bills are different sizes. I thought they might do this when the US introduced new currency to make things easier on the blind.

[quote]~Mandy~ wrote:

1 cent, 2 cent, 5 cent, 10 cent, 20 cent, 50 cent…

Even our Euro 1 Dollar is a coin, then there is the 2 dollar coin too! [/quote]

I’d vote to either get rid of the penny, or at least use something else to make it. My argument isn’t based on it’s use, although the lack thereof is enough reason. My argument is based on the fact that the copper it takes to make one penny is worth approximately 8.3 cents (US currency). Using raw materials to make our currency is not only a waste, but it creates problems all its own, where some individuals will melt down pennies, extract the copper, and sell it.