T Nation

Should Sickness Count As Rest?

Unfortunately, I am currently feeling lousy due to a bad cold. Fever, coughing, sneezing, and all the other fun stuff.

Needless to say, I am not training. However, I was wondering if I should count this time off as “rest” days. I would say yes since I am not training, but then again, my body is still under strain, so it’s not like I’m simply recovering from training - I’m doing that, plus recovering from illness.

Thoughts?

[quote]Dark_Knight wrote:
Unfortunately, I am currently feeling lousy due to a bad cold. Fever, coughing, sneezing, and all the other fun stuff. [/quote]

What difference does it make? Rest is rest. Whether it’s needed because of intensive workouts or an illness is irrelevant. If you needed more than 24 hours to recover, I’ll say that you should hit the gym as soon as you’re healed.

On a related note, ZMA and Glutamine help me stay away from common cold.

Same thing happened to me a week or so ago. My off week just happened to be a sick week as well. I didn’t take off any extra just because I was sick and two weeks later I’ve gained strength and weight. I wouldn’t take another week off or anything.

Fun side effect of being sick is that I lost about 4 pounds despite eating my face off.

Dark Knight, yeah, if your out for a week I would count it as a week off. Whenever I get over being sick I always make incredible come backs. Hence why I add more extended breaks to my workouts.

[quote]FlavaDave wrote:
Fun side effect of being sick is that I lost about 4 pounds despite eating my face off.[/quote]

Ha ha… it’s the “Get Sick and WAIST Away Diet” (pun intended).

[quote]Dark_Knight wrote:
FlavaDave wrote:
Fun side effect of being sick is that I lost about 4 pounds despite eating my face off.

Ha ha… it’s the “Get Sick and WAIST Away Diet” (pun intended).

[/quote]

still keep the sups up and the protein intake high…
Hope you feel better soon brother…

[quote]inthego wrote:
Hope you feel better soon brother…[/quote]

Thanks - I appreciate that.

Looking at FlavaDave’s avatar certainly makes me feel a bit better though…

If you’re not working out its rest as long as its just the sniffles. If you let yourself get dehydrated, don’t get enough sleep, don’t eat enough and such then it wouldn’t really count because then all of the sudden its not recuperative. Also, as was already mentioned, keep the protein up. It will keep you from losing as much while down.

[quote]Dark_Knight wrote:

Looking at FlavaDave’s avatar certainly makes me feel a bit better though…

[/quote]

Here’s to a quick recovery

http://images.google.com/images?q=allison+stokke&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

[quote]Dark_Knight wrote:
Unfortunately, I am currently feeling lousy due to a bad cold. Fever, coughing, sneezing, and all the other fun stuff.

Needless to say, I am not training. However, I was wondering if I should count this time off as “rest” days. I would say yes since I am not training,[/quote] Maybe you should change your point of view about training. If people could train all the time they would. The purpose of rest is not to “not train”, but to recover. If when you are ready to return to the gym you feel recovered then you are good to go.

[quote] but then again, my body is still under strain, so it’s not like I’m simply recovering from training - I’m doing that, plus recovering from illness.

Thoughts?[/quote]

I can’t wait for the olympics.