Should Major Nasan Still Get Paid?

Since everyone is innocent until proven guilty, should he continue to get his Major’s pay?

Yeah, and while we’re at it why don’t we just put him back on duty, too.

so does this mean he’s still going to get deployed?

HH, he’ll be confined and stripped of rank before he goes to trial. A commanding officer can do this without a court martial with something as simple as an article 15 proceeding – what is typically called “non judicial punishment.”

The military works a little differently but they still go thru the whole due process. A general court martial will be to determine guilt of the felony but it is not required to lose rank or pay.

He better get used to 3 hots and a cot for a very long time.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
HH, he’ll be confined and stripped of rank before he goes to trial. A commanding officer can do this without a court martial with something as simple as an article 15 proceeding – what is typically called “non judicial punishment.”

The military works a little differently but they still go thru the whole due process. A general court martial will be to determine guilt of the felony but it is not required to lose rank or pay.[/quote]

So he could use his Major’s pay, to hire additional legal help? Does the Army provide him with an attorney for free, or what?

The military works a little differently but they still go thru the whole due process. A general court martial will be to determine guilt of the felony but it is not required to lose rank or pay.[/quote]

He can’t be stripped of his rank/pay until he is convicted at his court martial.

You can’t just NJP a major, it doesn’t work that way.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

The military works a little differently but they still go thru the whole due process. A general court martial will be to determine guilt of the felony but it is not required to lose rank or pay.

He can’t be stripped of his rank/pay until he is convicted at his court martial.

You can’t just NJP a major, it doesn’t work that way. [/quote]

You sure about that? I bet a **** general could do an article 15 hearing if he wanted to.

I don’t think hasan has even been augmented yet.

usmccds423 wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

You can’t just NJP a major, it doesn’t work that way.

You sure about that? I bet a **** general could do an article 15 hearing if he wanted to.

I don’t think hasan has even been augmented yet.[/quote]

I didn’t word my response the right way. A major can be NJP’d for a minor offense and at most lose 1 rank, but in this case (murder) he will go to general court martial.

http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/ucmj.htm