T Nation

Should I train like a powerlifter?

Dicks you must speak from experience!!
Jon i reed fyne. Hookt on fonix werked fer me. Im just giving ya a hard way to go really. Seems as though it worked

Doesn’t take much to set you all off. Remember… “Anger is the enemy!”

I’m experienced with dicks? Actually, I’m only experienced with mine… I’m a lonely lonely man… if only I was a bodybuilder!

haha

Guess it would suck to be a FAT run of the mill POWERLIFTER. Ohh look at me I can eat 3 BigMacs 2Biggie fries and a large Diet coke and lift all this weight. Uh would someone please tighten up my lifting belt, it seems a bit snug today. Must be the humidity in the air!!! Love to see all those fat powerlifters. It does look like a mucth easier lifestyle with all the buffets ans sorts…

Gyno,

It was rude of me to hijack your thread with a question and not offer some advice. But good thing I waited because I would like to clear up some controversy.

It is true that programs such as Meltdown and German Body Comp can cause a loss in strength because they use lighter weights for higher reps. However, you noted that you have not trained in some time. You now have the advantage of a beginner - put a beginner on any type of weight training program and he will get strong simply because the muscles and nervous system have never experienced that type of stimulus (or in your case, your body has “forgotten” about weight training). Also, the more body fat you have to lose the less you need to worry about muscle loss because your body is willing to give up some fat, as opposed to the guys who are at 10% bodyfat and want to get to the single digits. So in your case, I wouldn’t worry about loss of strength and would recommend Meltdown or German Body Comp if you enjoy aerobic circuits using weights.

Once you’ve lost some weight, you might want to consider adding more strength-oriented training to your program. Even then, you can mix and match. I personally like doing Meltdown (well, let’s just say it’s better than running for an hour and getting bored to death) so I do a strength program one day a week and Meltdown 2 other days. I’m hoping this will give the benefits of Meltdown without the disadvantage of strength loss.

Mike, weren’t you gonna do a modified fat to fire that CT suggested, how did that work out and maybe this bloke should try that?

Stu,

Yes, I modified Fat2Fire and did a few workouts, but then an old neck injury became worse, required surgery, which resulted in a 2-month lay-off.

CT noted 2 problems with using weight-training programs to lose fat. First, the high volume of the programs lead to lots of muscle damage. However, if you’re on a reduced-calorie diet, you’re not getting enough nutrients to repair the damage. This leads to muscle loss and loss of strength. CT suggested that the better approach is to do a few heavy, low-rep sets - the kind used for strength workouts. Second, CT disagreed with the concept that the high-volume programs release so much growth hormone that it would create an anabolic state such that you would build muscle even on a severe calorie deficit and lose fat. He said that the programs might produce some increase in growth hormone release, but that the additional amount really would not be significant enough to produce the results claimed.

My proposed solution to this was to take the programs and increase the weight a bit, drop the reps down to 6 (or fewer), do the exercises in circuit fashion, and limit it to 3 circuits. It’s still a lung-busting workout that will keep your metabolism raised long after you’re done. If you need more work, follow-up with some type of interval work such as running on a treadmill or the elliptical thingy, or whatever you prefer.

Mike,

have you read CT’s power circuit routine? it’s a circuit, but similar to waht you did - lower reps. though his circuit is full body. it’s a good program, and gives alright strength gains in MY experience, as well as conditioning boosts (and thus fat loss depending on your caloric intake) and the like. you can find it in .pdf on dragondoor.com

Well all this other bullshit and bickering aside: the question was “should I train like a power lifter?” I think the obvious avenue to the answer is to ask one more question, “do I want to be a powerlifter?” If the answer is no, well … and if it’s yes then … (you can fill in the blanks I’m sure).

How you train has little to do with how much fat you have. What goes down your throat has much more to do with your level of fatnes. Training like a powerlifter will not make you fat. That is a statement that only an uneducated lifter would make. Im fat because i just ate a box of hamburger helper. But if i were to clean up my diet and move down a weight class (which im planning on doing in January) I would be extremely lean at 242. Pumpdog just really has no idea what he is talking about.

wow pumpdogg is an ass. He’s the master ass though, so don’t mess with him.

Doesn’t minimising the eccentrics (as in meltdown) go a long way to avoiding this problem?

John: I planned to mention CT’s Power Circuit in my post but got a bit lazy. I think that would be the way to go. That second week with 8 times around the circuit looks ugly.

Gyno: Here’s the article:

http://www.dragondoor.com/pdf/170.pdf

Initially, keep things very simple - do regular squats instead of jump squats (which can be hard on the knees, especially for a guy your size) and use the 6 reps, 80-85% loading; if you’re unsure how to do a power snatch, use a barbell row.

Mookjong: As for your question, I don’t know.

Don’t forget that I tried the power circuit and posted the results on CT’s board, the results were amazing but i wouldn’t recomend something that hard to someone who hass no experience of oly lifts.