Should I Throw?

My middle school health teacher (HS track coach) saw me today, and asked me if I was playing ball because I’ve put on so much weight. I told him I wasn’t. He asked why so I told him it’s becuase I don’t like team sports. Then he asked me about throwing. I wouldn’t mind throwing however:

My dominant shoulder still has mild tendonitis, which doesn’t seem to be leaving anytime soon

I need to work 20+ hours a week to pay my bills

powerlifting comes first

school is a close second, I’m taking several college courses this year so I’ll have lots of homework. Not to mention I have to go to school early so I can have 8 classes

Am I really going to be capable of having practice, and lifting, homework, and a job?

Fuck it man, you’re still in HS…broaden your athletic perspective. You will get strong being a thrower. They squat, DL, bench, power clean, etc. It’s not like it will really be detrimental, in the long run, to your PL career.

agreed, i do both indoor and spring track for shotput and discus, during the indoor season last year, my squat went from a measly 225 to a much imporved 300, bench from 225 to 265, dl i dont remmber but i got my first 200 power clean as well,

plus all the running and resistance drills i did got me wicked fit, also in some high level classes, what i do is just do it during the classes when u do nothing, give it a shot

I agree, for all the reasons stated above. Throw.

o and how many bills ar eu paying that u need to work that much in highschool im sure some can be cut down!

[quote]bignate wrote:
o and how many bills ar eu paying that u need to work that much in highschool im sure some can be cut down![/quote]

Half of my paycheck stays in the bank.

50$ month phone
20-30$ week on gas

I really don’t know. I really don’t know how well I’m going to be able to deal with coaches, and never having down time.

Just do it. I am very glad I ran and threw in HS. It was always a good time outside with some friendly competition. It was always my 2nd sport like it would be to you (my first was football at the time), so I didn’t take it too seriously and just had fun. Plus track girls are hot as shit. Seriously, give it a try.

Everyone else who has commented seems to have thrown or are currently throwers and they are encouraging you to do it.

I’ll say, as s different perspective, that I didn’t throw in high school and sometimes regret it (although throwing in highland games makes up for it…even though I’d be much better if I threw in high school).

Throwing is a great sport, you will do well your a strong person. If you have a decent coach you might even do very well. Also the girls on track in those short shorts and spandex are awesome.

Its very laid back, we mostly just lift and practice throwing a bit very low pressure. Who knows you might even get a scholorship out of it. Its a very fun sport, throwing heavy shit is awesome, its worth giving it a try.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
I really don’t know. I really don’t know how well I’m going to be able to deal with coaches, and never having down time.[/quote]

You realize it’s not up to you any more, right? Once you put a problem up on the internet, you’re bound to do as the majority says … it’s the law.

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
I really don’t know. I really don’t know how well I’m going to be able to deal with coaches, and never having down time.

You realize it’s not up to you any more, right? Once you put a problem up on the internet, you’re bound to do as the majority says … it’s the law.[/quote]

this is true.

I think I’ll give it a whirl.

My split post coan-phillipi will look like:
Monday:
deadlift
SLDL
cable row
dumbell row
shrugs
pinwheel curls

Tuesday:
ME press variation
military press
external rotations
triceps

Thursday:
Squat
leg press
glute hams
calves

Friday:
dumbell press
side+front raises
external rotations
triceps

Anything I should change? Where should I add chins?

Im not trying to be the odd one out, but with all your school work, and powerlifting it doesnt seem like youll have time. Plus throwing with tendonitis in your shoulder doesnt sound to good.

[quote]TheBig3 wrote:
Im not trying to be the odd one out, but with all your school work, and powerlifting it doesnt seem like youll have time. Plus throwing with tendonitis in your shoulder doesnt sound to good. [/quote]

And I forgot about your job.

powerlifting should come second (no offense) but the support to recruit powerlifters in college is null while throwers if half decent can get into many colleges easier, also start driving less. :slight_smile:

plus u say u will have no down time, the track kinda is like down time, u hang out with ppl from school, throw and go to meets, its very fun

Throwers are the most powerful athletes I have ever seen, even stronger than olympic lifters. I know of a couple of them that put up numbers that would shame a lot of powerlifters.

Of course it’s up to you, but to most people, their athleticism is very impressive.

[quote]bignate wrote:
powerlifting should come second (no offense) but the support to recruit powerlifters in college is null while throwers if half decent can get into many colleges easier, also start driving less. :slight_smile:

plus u say u will have no down time, the track kinda is like down time, u hang out with ppl from school, throw and go to meets, its very fun[/quote]

Additionally, he would not be the first person to balance work, school and sports. I’m not saying it’s easy, and I certainly have no 1st hand experience, but I did take AP level courses and play sports

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
My split post coan-phillipi will look like:
Monday:
deadlift
SLDL
cable row
dumbell row
shrugs
pinwheel curls

Tuesday:
ME press variation
military press
external rotations
triceps

Thursday:
Squat
leg press
glute hams
calves

Friday:
dumbell press
side+front raises
external rotations
triceps

Anything I should change? Where should I add chins?[/quote]

My .02 cents:

As a 5x time collegiate all-american, 6 time national qualifier, I would bench, military press, push press, squat, deadlift, power clean, row, power snatch, sprint, jump. Work these lifts in 3 or 4 times a week but don’t spend to much energy in the weight room. In my experience a thrower throws then lifts. You still get strong,but you also get explosive but the key is to stay fresh. If you leave the weight room in 45 minutes you are doing your duty.

After three years of collegiate throwing my bench went from 320 to 470 touch n go. “Squat” and deadlift went through the roof. I did not max single but I could do reps of 10 with 600lbs on both. You can still get strong but technique in the throws is most important. I had terrible glide shot put technique but did not spend enough time learning what I was doing wrong to do it right. We didn’t have the internet access to info that is available today and my coach refused any use of video, and I admit I had no idea what I was doing as a thrower other than turning fast and striking.

My weight training typically looked like this:
Monday
Bench press warm up then heavy set of five.
Military Press warm up heavy set of eight.

Tuesday
Squat or deadlift work up to a heavy set of eight

Thursday or Friday
Bench press work up to a fast and heavy set of 2.
Row up to a set of eight

I would have added the olympic variants, sprinting, and jumping had I been more educated about their importance.

Remember that recovery and technique are the keys. Rest in between throws too. I saw a lot of people that weren’t very good take two or three throws in practice and meet warm-ups for every one throw I took.

Cutting back on reps in the weightroom might help your tendinitis as well. I have experienced it myself and cutting back was the cure.

I don’t know if that helps but good luck.

And no I did no I did not take steriods. I did eat a ton of food and actually predominantly carbs. Literally two loaves of white bread per day and maybe 1.5 pounds of hamburger not all that I ate but it was typical. My body weight went from 235# to 285# in three years not all solid but I didn’t look like a chub either. I found strength gains to coincide greatly with increased body weight however recently I have experience good strength gains without the body weight increase. Also, I noticed that if I ate an apple and an orange at various times leading up to a workout things would go well. Also, you should ingest plenty of calcium. Chemistry might suggest that calcium has some relationship to muscle contractions.

That’s it I’m done now.

ill be a senior in a relatively rigorous school and in my opinion, yes definitely throw. You should definitely give it a shot (no pun intended). My coach asked me to do it sophmore year and now its my life. i woke up to a dream today that i hit a big PR. i love it. besides, nothing makes you feel better than being able to say you came in 1st or 2nd all on your own.

worst thing that happens- you need to quit the team. its not a big deal. no one is gonna penalize you for it. you can even blame it on your shoulder.

about the tendinitis- after the first few days of practice see if the throwing makes a difference and bothers you.

track meets are definitely fun. hang out with your friends there. see girls, etc. youll start to become friends with other throwers and youll make fun of all the distance runners for being so weak.

sometimes you need to make sacrifices in terms of weekends. not gonna lie about that. this year im planning on working friday nights, saturdays, and then sunday morning. try to get weekend hours at your job.

id second driving less. this may be “lame” but take this bus to school on days you arent going somewhere as soon as schools over. youll probably save alot of gas money.