T Nation

Should I Take Supplements?

I’m currently 5’9" 173 lbs. When I started working out about 3-4 months ago, I was 200 lbs. I have changed my diet a lot and working out (boxing and basketball) on a regular basis… My goal is to reach 164 but I also want to put on more muscle as I drop weight… I just started taking Muscle Milk Light to add more protein into my diet… I also have been taking fish oil pills pretty regularly…

My midsection is definitely the problem area as I seem to have lost weight everywhere except some pesky pounds in my gut… I’m thinking about taking HOT-ROX to help me get to 164 faster but I may need to take something to help maintain the muscle I want to build… Anyone with suggests, help me out… Also if you know of supplements you think I should take or not take any at all let me know… I also probably need to incorporate mulit-vitamins in my daily process…

Thanks in advance…

HOT-ROX Extreme is just what the Dr. ordered for the request you made. It is very potent at two main things one, ramping up fat loss and two, ramping up protein synthesis, which equals maintaining hard earned muscle mass while restricting calories. Provided you are doing your part in regard to nutrition (getting enough protein, healthy fats, good carbs, while cutting cals). Read up on it in the T-Nation store.

D

I read somewhere that Carnatine (an amino acid) will make your body more inclined to burn fat than muscle when you are exercising on an empty stomach. I would recommend the HOT-ROX, along with more than enough protein (than you think you need that is) and making sure you either supply yourself some energy before you go play or box with some high quality carbs or take some carnitine before you workout and give resupply yourself with some faster-loading carbs after the workout (along with protein obviously).

Your general diet is really important when it comes to losing weight, if it isn’t good enough you could exercise forever and not lose the fat. I would rely more on good dieting practices than any supplement (not to say you shouldn’t go with them, cuz they can help too).

Thanks for the advice…

Would the BCAA be a good thing to take as well? Ya’ll don’t think that would be too many supplements?

[quote]cxrrico7 wrote:
Thanks for the advice…

Would the BCAA be a good thing to take as well? Ya’ll don’t think that would be too many supplements?[/quote]

If you can budget them in they are highly valuable, especially in regard to maintaining muscle while cal cutting and they give me added energy for my workouts. Wouldn’t be “too many” at all.

D

My experience has been that anything besides creatine that isn’t a food replacement (protein powder, fish oil and the like) is generally worthless. This is not because the products are no good, but because the effects are so mild that you have to have EVERYTHING in order diet and exercise wise to even notice.

As we all know that’s rare for most lifters. If you can honestly say you’ve dotted all your i’s and crossed your t’s then go for it, otherwise you need to focus more on the basics.

[quote]blue9steel wrote:
My experience has been that anything besides creatine that isn’t a food replacement (protein powder, fish oil and the like) is generally worthless. This is not because the products are no good, but because the effects are so mild that you have to have EVERYTHING in order diet and exercise wise to even notice.

As we all know that’s rare for most lifters. If you can honestly say you’ve dotted all your i’s and crossed your t’s then go for it, otherwise you need to focus more on the basics.[/quote]

Everything right? As opposed to half assed, cheating on your diet here and there, hitting the tread mill for ten minutes at speed three. We ain’t shooting for mediocre here and assume posters are going to be hitting all cylinders full throttle. I agree with you somewhat if a candy asser was asking for advice I’d just tell em to cut the late night donuts out and walk a little more.

D

What source do you have for HOT-ROX ramping up protein synthesis? Please show me a link.

I just picked up HOT-ROX… Re-upped my Muscle Milk Light… Got some Carnitine I’m gonna add to that… Re-upped my Fish Oil… Got some One Daily Multivitamins… Gonna start taking it all tomorrow…

[quote]TP-Bubbles wrote:
Dedicated wrote:It is very potent at two main things one, ramping up fat loss and two, ramping up protein synthesis,D
What source do you have for HOT-ROX ramping up protein synthesis? Please show me a link.
[/quote]

Check this link out. http://www.HOT-ROX.com/readTopic.do?id=486565

D

I get this funny feeling in the pit of my stomach when I see your avatar, Dedicated.

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
Everything right? As opposed to half assed, cheating on your diet here and there, hitting the tread mill for ten minutes at speed three. We ain’t shooting for mediocre here and assume posters are going to be hitting all cylinders full throttle. I agree with you somewhat if a candy asser was asking for advice I’d just tell em to cut the late night donuts out and walk a little more.[/quote]

Actually I was talking about the majority of people I see lifting who work out maybe 3-4 times a week on a mediocre plan, and adhere to a half decent diet 70% of the time but don’t have everything down to a science. If we’re talking about donut eaters, then even creatine, fish oil, and protein powder are a waste.

[quote]blue9steel wrote:
Dedicated wrote:
Everything right? As opposed to half assed, cheating on your diet here and there, hitting the tread mill for ten minutes at speed three. We ain’t shooting for mediocre here and assume posters are going to be hitting all cylinders full throttle. I agree with you somewhat if a candy asser was asking for advice I’d just tell em to cut the late night donuts out and walk a little more.

Actually I was talking about the majority of people I see lifting who work out maybe 3-4 times a week on a mediocre plan, and adhere to a half decent diet 70% of the time but don’t have everything down to a science. If we’re talking about donut eaters, then even creatine, fish oil, and protein powder are a waste.[/quote]

I hear ya bro, I mainly wanted to say with the correct adherence to a good program HOT-ROX delivers more power to the table then a mild effect. Have you tried it yet? What you say holds true when applied to many of the sub par products on the market, but I must again affirm this isn’t the case with HOT-ROX.

Kroby, yes it has quite the effect.

Take care guys,

D