T Nation

Should I Take Calcium Supplements

I take 2 pills a day for 1000mg with a glass of milk. My trainer recommended this.

Are these supplements necessary? Should i take them or not?

Should i take in the morning or before bed?

how about meth?

[quote]hit the gym wrote:
how about meth?[/quote]

Tons, it’s how the pros cut weight.

I would recommend balancing your diet (i.e. protein intake vs. fruits and veggies). Calcium isn’t going to make your bones any stronger, but eating alkaline foods will prevent bone loss.

[quote]wfifer wrote:
I would recommend balancing your diet (i.e. protein intake vs. fruits and veggies). Calcium isn’t going to make your bones any stronger, but eating alkaline foods will prevent bone loss. [/quote]

Why do you say calcium won’t help?

From what I gather it’s an age thing right? Do you know his age?

Not really even criticizing, I’m just as curious about calcium supplementation as the OP.

Calcium is important in lipolysis, so it will help you lose fat more safely than the “meth”, but more slowly. It’s also lots cheaper, in more ways than one.

Calcium interferes with the absorption of several other vitamins and minerals, so it’s best to take calcium by itself. Schedule your calcium intake around your other supplements.

[quote]hit the gym wrote:
I take 2 pills a day for 1000mg with a glass of milk. My trainer recommended this.[/quote]

This is funny for about three reasons right off the top of my head, but I’m sure I could come up with more.

As for supplementing with calcium. If you can answer yes to any of the following questions, then I would agree that calcium supplementation is “necessary”:

1. Are you, or have you ever been, a girl?

2. Are you a senior citizen?

3. Do you not realize that milk is full of calcium?

As long as you have no food allergen issues, calcium rich foods make a great staple in any diet. Yoghurt, milk, cheese; and some fruits/vegetables combined will easily give you enough.