Should I Sign up for Facebook?

My wife and friends talk positively about Facebook. In addition, I’ve heard it’s nice to reconnect with old friends and stay abreast with family and friends. I find this appealing, along with staying abreast without having to send multiple emails to my friends and family.

I also find it appealing to maintain a professional network from a career standpoint.

However, part of me doesn’t want to give up my privacy. Am I crazy about this? Any negative aspects? So bottom line, what are your thoughts after either participating or not participating in Facebook?

Should I eat chicken or hamburger tonight?

[quote]snipeout wrote:
Should I eat chicken or hamburger tonight?[/quote]

Shredded pork.

Just sign up and put your profile on private. Then only people who you allow can see it.

yes no.

[quote]ghost87 wrote:
I also find it appealing to maintain a professional network from a career standpoint.
[/quote]

I’d suggest checking out Linkedin.com, it’s designed for business professionals.

[quote]elano wrote:
Just sign up and put your profile on private. Then only people who you allow can see it.

[/quote]

Wrong. Business’s can purchase software that allows them to bypasses your privacy settings. This is becoming pretty common when looking at potential candidates for jobs/promotions. Not cool, but nontheless true.

you can also deactivate your account if you don’t like it. I used to have facebook, but I didn’t like it so I bailed. It’s not too tough to do.

Should i start smoking CRACK!

[quote]timbofirstblood wrote:
you can also deactivate your account if you don’t like it. I used to have facebook, but I didn’t like it so I bailed. It’s not too tough to do.[/quote]

Facebook keeps your profile incase you want to “re-activate it” people can still find it and look at it if they wish. TO actually “delete” your account you have to manually remove everything on your account.

Believe it or not I took a college elective on facebook, so I’m pretty much a genius now lol.

[quote]Wrench wrote:
Should i start smoking CRACK![/quote]

Oh. I see what you did there.

Just become a sheep already.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
Just become a sheep already.[/quote]

Oooooh, it burns.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:

Wrong. Business’s can purchase software that allows them to bypasses your privacy settings. [/quote]

This doesn’t sound right. If this software did exist, it would be all over the torrent sites in a heartbeat and the privacy of facebook would be completely comprimised overnight.

[quote]Wrench wrote:
Should i start smoking CRACK![/quote]

Can I join?

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Wrench wrote:

Oh. I see what you did there.[/quote]

I don’t. What’d he do?

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:
waylanderxx wrote:

Wrong. Business’s can purchase software that allows them to bypasses your privacy settings.

This doesn’t sound right. If this software did exist, it would be all over the torrent sites in a heartbeat and the privacy of facebook would be completely comprimised overnight.[/quote]

Dude I took a semester class on this. One of the kids in my class had first hand experience with it. His dad owns a business and uses it. I’m not making it up lol.

Have you never read the articles about jobs and it says something like 30% of all businesses have decided to not hire a potential employee after checking facebook and other social networking sites?

Did you think that everyone has their profiles set to public? No. Most people have them as private. Well then how are these companies able to look at their profiles? There is software for it believe it or not.

Maybe it is on the torrent sites, it’s not like its going to create a huge stir. You can’t comment on anything all you can do is look, so in general why waste your time with it, unless you are an employer looking at a job candidate.

[quote]buffalokilla wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:
Wrench wrote:

Oh. I see what you did there.

I don’t. What’d he do?[/quote]

It’s addicting like crack?

Not saying you should or shouldn’t, but maybe this will help you make up your mind.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
PimpBot5000 wrote:
waylanderxx wrote:

Wrong. Business’s can purchase software that allows them to bypasses your privacy settings.

This doesn’t sound right. If this software did exist, it would be all over the torrent sites in a heartbeat and the privacy of facebook would be completely comprimised overnight.

Dude I took a semester class on this. One of the kids in my class had first hand experience with it. His dad owns a business and uses it. I’m not making it up lol.

Have you never read the articles about jobs and it says something like 30% of all businesses have decided to not hire a potential employee after checking facebook and other social networking sites?

Did you think that everyone has their profiles set to public? No. Most people have them as private. Well then how are these companies able to look at their profiles? There is software for it believe it or not.

Maybe it is on the torrent sites, it’s not like its going to create a huge stir. You can’t comment on anything all you can do is look, so in general why waste your time with it, unless you are an employer looking at a job candidate.[/quote]

Im not a computer programmer, but you can make a program that will only run on a specific hard drive. So if someone wants to charge a company a lot for it, and make sure it doesnt get leaked out they can program it to your HDs serial number…atleast i believe you can do that.