T Nation

Should I see a Doctor?

Went snowboarding this weekend and took a fall that was about 10 times more painfull than I expected. At first I thought I might have broken my shoulder due to the number of yanking sounds I heard while flying head over heels. Now my left arm is mostly useless, sitting perfectly still it hurts, resting it in a supported position it hurts, basically it hurts no matter what.

My left back and neck are all tensed up to hell and back and the shoulder is basically tucked into my side. I can use my hand to type but thats about it. It also feels like I may have bruised my ribs on the impact (basically a very forcefull almost face-plant which my shoulder and chest took the brunt of). My right side is begining to tense up as well.

I also jarred my back pretty good on Saturday as well. Would you advise I seek professional consultation?

yes

immediately

[quote]alphuris wrote:
Would you advise I seek professional consultation?[/quote]

Uh…if what you post is what you are feeling right now, hell yeah, you should seek professional consultation! The pain might go away…eventually (I doubte any time soon), but you gonna have it bad when you get older if you don’t check it out now.

Yes.

The question this thread provokes for me is not so much “Should you see a doctor?”, but given your symptoms/discomfort/flat out PAIN, why WOULDN’T you see a doctor? Is there something else going on that makes you think you shouldn’t?

Kuz

• Return with honor.

I’m just not one to go to the doctor if I don’t feel like I’m dying (usually indicated by a >101 fever and inability to move without wanting to lose whatever I have left in my stomach). I rarely go anyways, so it’s rather foreign to me. I usually just tough out what don’t seem like major injuries.

Guess my perceptions are distorted.

You can “tough out” stuff that is exhaustion-related, heals quickly, etc. You can’t “tough out” a broken bone, serious injury, etc. Are you going to tough out a severed limb?

Toughing it out means you’re just ignoring the pain until the body repairs itself. If the body can’t repair itself easily, or at all in some cases, toughing it out is only going to leave you with a permanent injury.

Go to the doctor. It’s not “normal” to have that much discomfort. I wouldn’t prolong it because at times that can make your situation a bit worse. Good luck to ya. :o)) Later~SB

[quote]michaelv wrote:
You can “tough out” stuff that is exhaustion-related, heals quickly, etc. You can’t “tough out” a broken bone, serious injury, etc. Are you going to tough out a severed limb?

Toughing it out means you’re just ignoring the pain until the body repairs itself. If the body can’t repair itself easily, or at all in some cases, toughing it out is only going to leave you with a permanent injury.[/quote]

seems like a tension reaction…maybe a sublx of shoulde. this cannot be “toughed out” but would get continually worse

Go to the Doctor.