T Nation

Should I Ride My Increase?

since 3 weeks ago when i hit 355 at the new york state bench press championship for usapl i felt a little on unhappy so i went to the gym hit 365 a new pr then last week hit 375 and 385 all new pr’s so should i keep trying to max out each week intel i fail big or should i go back to my normal routine

You may not want to keep on maxing on the competition lift itself. You may want to rotate similar exercises and max on those as in the Westside templates. Things like 4,3 & 2 board presses, rack lockouts, reverse band presses, floor presses. Use one lift and keep it for 2-4 weeks then switch it up.

Don’t go back to your normal routine.

It sounds like this is a good time to change things up.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Don’t go back to your normal routine.

It sounds like this is a good time to change things up.[/quote]

Exactly. 30 lbs. PR and you’re contemplating change? HELL NO!

im a all raw lifter and i thought it was wierd that i had such sharp jump in strenght has this happened to anyone else i was at a platue for like 4 months and was stuck at 355

[quote]hazarddude334 wrote:
im a all raw lifter and i thought it was wierd that i had such sharp jump in strenght has this happened to anyone else i was at a platue for like 4 months and was stuck at 355[/quote]

YES comes in spurts there are two ways of thinking slow down and try and sustain it, and ride that motha as far as it will take you. I say ride it bro see how far you can get once you stagnate then mix it up. Take what you can get while you can. Your confidence etc. is sky high and once you push those PR’s that mental barrier has been crossedd and they are usually cake.

Thats my take
Phill

I would state that what you do in the gym doesn’t fucking matter if you are competing and you need to sit back and figure out why you didn’t bring the lifts to the meet.

The next step would be fixing it.

That’s all.

Next.