Should I Revert Back to a Beginner Program?

Hello all

So after around 1 and a half years training on beginner programs (mostly Phraks GSLP), I was recommended on here to move to 5/3/1 as I wasn’t seeing any results anymore (my bench was stuck at around 82.5kg 1RM and OHP at 50kg 1RM).

I did move to 5/3/1 BBB to start with, but then realised I was getting too fat so had to cut down, so I moved to 5/3/1 FSL and did that for around 4 months before moving to 85% Full Body and have been running that for around 3 months.

Problem is, I lost motivation a few months ago, which meant I have missed a fair few sessions and not sticking to a diet, so I’m still technically cutting now after about 6 months. I have dropped around 25 lbs in that time.

Regarding the training, I haven’t deadlifted for a while, as I thought that was the cause of my back pain (which has now gone away). Not only that but my numbers for the other lifts have dropped a little.

Squat 1RM - was 137.5kg, now estimated 132.5kg
Bench 1RM - was 82.5kg, now estimated 77.5kg
OHP 1RM - was 50kg, now estimated 45kg

I think I’m going to start eating more to try and get my lifts back up now, but I was wondering if it would be more beneficial moving back to a linear program and basically starting fresh, and sticking with it until I plateau, or stick with 5/3/1 or a similar program?

EDIT: My goals are size and strength, but I’d say strength is more important at the moment for me.

Your lifts hardly dropped at all man, if 5/3/1 was working for you - you should stick with it. Most importantly though, you should enjoy training. This will help with compliance and effort; both of which sound like you could use help with (no flame).

If you want to run linear until you aren’t progressing in a linear manner anymore - then just do that. If you’re not having fun, you will find reasons NOT to work towards your goals.

3 Likes

IMO, if you don’t get “addicted” to lifting you will never get the physique you desire.

You don’t need to enjoy, you just need to feel terrible when you miss a workout. Get there and lift weights that you instinctively believe you need to do when you lose interest in the program you have laid out for yourself. It is not so much the program as it is the consistency that leads to success. But always be aware that you can overtrain.

2 Likes

You are both right. I haven’t been enjoying lifting recently or feeling guilty for missing a session. Need to get that back somehow. Thank you both for your help.

1 Like

Logging your training can help with compliance, if that sounds like something you’d be interested in. We have a #training-logs section that helps you keep yourself accountable and get feedback.

1 Like

100% agree. People who “lose motivation” are probably those who will lose it again. Everyone should chose a life they love. A fishing enthusiast doesn’t need motivation to get up at 4am to go fishing. A fat person never needs motivation and never loses motivation to eat some cake. If you need motivation for anything in your life you are doing the wrong things.

2 Likes

So you say strength is your goal. But how strong? The reason I ask is - the stronger you get the more of your life this will take up. And you are already strong. 132.5kg is not to be sniffed at (depending on body weight its goes from respectable to pretty good). So given that you’ve already flaked I think the chances of you carrying on for longer would be better if you knew why you wanted to get strong. So the training could be more specific.

As an FYI to get stronger I can reconmend:
Upper Lower body part split. On and ABA BAB pattern. With hard conditioning 2 times a week. Simple double progression model for the main lifts. Then just work hard on the rest.