Should I Reset My Lifts on Starting Strength?

Hey, (new to the site)

I’ve been doing Starting Strength for probably about 2 months all together (including the training I did on a smith machine, 1 month with Barbel).

Anyways I’ve had 2 injuries in the last 4 months, the first one was injuring my hip joint that took 3 weeks to heal. The other injury was that I fell off a motorbike (trail riding), and I got a 2nd Degree burn to my leg, which left it swollen and in immense pain for 3.5 weeks.

I’ve come back into the program last week on Friday - 23/11/12, and I’m having problems with my lifts.

My lifting progression went like this: -

Squat: 40kg - 90kg

Deadlift: 50kg - 120kg

OHP: 40kg - 57.5kg

BP: 40kg - 67.5kg

With this last injury, my CNS must have gotten weak or something. I get depressed easily, and I started to slack off on my diet, etc. I’ve snapped out of it, and I’m putting 110% back into it, because lifting makes me feel extremely good; it brings me happiness.

In today’s training session, I did 90kg squats. I couldn’t go ATG, but instead I went parallel and my back was rounded. The first set I managed 4 reps, then failed on the 5th.

I tried the second set and my form was horrible, my back was rounded and I felt some pain in my upper back, so I lowered the weight back down to 80kg for the last set. By putting 80kg on the bar, my form was still awful.

The same with Bench press, I lowered it down by 7.5kg.

The new thing I tried this session was Pendlay BB rows (started at 60kg to be on the safe side, and to master form), really cool exercise to do.

I’m thinking about resetting the weight on the squat to 70kg, 100kg for the Deadlift and 50kg for the OHP. I’ve lost strength because of my recent injury, and I have to work back up.

Is this a good thing to do, so I can lift with proper form when I get heavier?

Thanks

Everything you are asking is explained in the book/on Rippetoe’s website

[quote]Chris87 wrote:
Everything you are asking is explained in the book/on Rippetoe’s website[/quote]

Yeah, I own the book but haven’t had time to properly read through it. I remember reading it on his website, but I also wanted an opinion from someone who’s been through the same thing.

Also, I was hoping to get some substantial advice from these forums, as well.

I think I should have posted in the powerlifting section :confused:

[quote]defiledx wrote:

I think I should have posted in the powerlifting section :/[/quote]

The powerlifting forum is not where people one half-arsed month into Starting Strength ask questions. People one month into SS usually read the SS program and the SS website.

One thing though - you are probably underestimating how long this takes. Think years rather than months.

[quote]defiledx wrote:

[quote]Chris87 wrote:
Everything you are asking is explained in the book/on Rippetoe’s website[/quote]

Yeah, I own the book but haven’t had time to properly read through it. I remember reading it on his website, but I also wanted an opinion from someone who’s been through the same thing.

Also, I was hoping to get some substantial advice from these forums, as well.

I think I should have posted in the powerlifting section :/[/quote]

So go read the book.

The opinion that matters the most is that of the person who wrote the damn program in the first place, which you already have.