Should I Re-Check My Maxes?

I was out of the lifting game off and on for about a year and a half. After about two weeks back I checked some rep maxes.

Squat 225x10
Mill Press 155x10
Dead 225x10

With some solid nutrition and muscle memory on my third week of 5/3/1 I hit (5th week back of lifting)

Squat 265x12
Mill Press 185x9
Deadlift 265x14
on my last sets.

Is it worth it to skip ahead to week 9 or 13 numbers. Or should I just stay the course and keep hammering out 8+ reps on all my plus one sets.

Before my layoff my old maxes were
Squat 405
Mill Press 235
Dead 450

It’s clearly working so keep at it. Add jokers if you want to go heavier.

Typically, I would say stay the course, but maybe–this ONE time–apply the new numbers you have listed, there. For the sake of your body’s recovery ability which will dwindle as you get closer to your normal strength/capacity levels, don’t re-adjust (besides the 5-10lb increments described) each cycle, but it seems like your CNS/muscle memory is bouncing back (to be overly simple). Do it once and keep rolling for a while. I only say this because it seems that you’d be working slightly outside of the intended energy systems due to the lower percentage of your true capability.

Good luck, man.

El

[quote]Mattyb83 wrote:
It’s clearly working so keep at it. Add jokers if you want to go heavier. [/quote]

Personally i agree with MattyB here. but the real question is are you enjoying what you are currently doing? if so stick at it and you can use jokers every 6 weeks to challenge yourself, personally i do this also to keep my ego in check.

its very tempting to want to skip ahead, but the jokers will keep you grounded.

Stay the course. It’s working so no reason to screw it up.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
Stay the course. It’s working so no reason to screw it up. [/quote]

I decided to stay the course and stay on track. At week 11 I broke my all time Mill Press PR on a joker set for a set of three.

It also won’t be long before I break some old pr deadlift rep records!

[quote]lifter x wrote:

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
Stay the course. It’s working so no reason to screw it up. [/quote]

I decided to stay the course and stay on track. At week 11 I broke my all time Mill Press PR on a joker set for a set of three.

It also won’t be long before I break some old pr deadlift rep records!

[/quote]

The program works, period

Good idea staying the course. I have been doing 5-3-1 for about a year and a half now. The amount of strength I have gained is ridiculous. My shoulders, chest, and legs are bigger than they’ve ever been, as well as my arms. The program works and Jim Wendler knows what he’s doing.

Like I said before I stayed the course and I am crushing it! I could have pushed it on the squat but I was more then happy so I shut it down to live to train another day.

Squat Est Max - 305 Week 1 Training Max 275
Week 14 Joker Set Squat 340x3

Deadlift Est Max - 305 Week 1 Training Max 275
Week 14 Joker Set 370x3

Mill Press Est Max 210 Week 1 Training Max 190
Week 14 Joker Set 230x3