T Nation

Should I Get a My T Checked?

I seem to be in reasonably good health, my energy level seems to be at least average, and my sexual functioning seems to be more or less normal. My thyroid function tests have been normal. All the same, I wonder if my testosterone level might be ebbing now that I’m in my mid-forties. Should I get it tested as a “baseline” measurement? My doc would order a total testosterone test, but I don’t know if it would be worth it, since I’ve heard it’s not necessarily a useful measurement.

[quote]northerndriver wrote:
I seem to be in reasonably good health, my energy level seems to be at least average, and my sexual functioning seems to be more or less normal. My thyroid function tests have been normal. All the same, I wonder if my testosterone level might be ebbing now that I’m in my mid-forties. Should I get it tested as a “baseline” measurement? My doc would order a total testosterone test, but I don’t know if it would be worth it, since I’ve heard it’s not necessarily a useful measurement. [/quote]

If you feel fine and are happy with your sexual and physical performance, why open pandora’s box? TRT isn’t necessarily a simple project to begin.

Do you realize you could shut down your hpta axis and possibly require TRT for the remainder of your life as a consequence?

Agree with above. But other considerations are fat gain, slipping strength and vitality. You can’t assume that thyroid is not a problem because the labs are “normal”. Time to get aware. Please read the advice for new guys sticky.

[quote]northerndriver wrote:
My doc would order a total testosterone test, but I don’t know if it would be worth it, since I’ve heard it’s not necessarily a useful measurement. [/quote]

This makes no sense. If lab values showing total T and free T are not useful, then what is in measuring T levels?

Do you have insurance? The worth of the office visit financially would be your co-pay, which is 25 to 50 bucks for most insurance companies.