Should I Enter a Contest as a New Bodybuilder?

I wanted to post this here instead of beginners since I need you veteran bodybuilder’s opinions. Sorry if its in the wrong spot.

I can enter a local BB contest in November. I began serious bodybuilding in April (pics in my profile). I’d be in the lightweight, “master” (over 40) category. I’ve never posed and dont even own a speedo :stuck_out_tongue:

Do I go for it? Or will the veterans laugh me off the stage? How stupid will I look? Wait 1-2 years? thanks gang.

I’m not a BBer, but 7 months of training to compete? The pics in your profile don’t show much either, and I think most people will ask what your current height and weight stats are.

Wait.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
Wait.[/quote]

Yea, unless you absolutely don’t mind losing, in which case I don’t know why you’d do it anyway. No offense to OP, you look fit, but bodybuilders are usually BIG.

If it’s amateur-hour and you might actually win, then go for it! Though you’ll need more training to compete at a respectable level.

I think you need 3 years of consistent training as a minimum to compete.

You’re not ready. Your profile pics say you weigh only 140 lbs. You still look like a beginner. You should put on A LOT more size before you even consider entering a contest.

ok guys, thanks. i know i can and want to get bigger, but they have a 140-lb weight class. i guess maybe the winner of that class is like 4 foot tall :stuck_out_tongue:

What even made you think you should or could compete after 7 months of training…?

[quote]urbanski wrote:
ok guys, thanks. i know i can and want to get bigger, but they have a 140-lb weight class. i guess maybe the winner of that class is like 4 foot tall :stuck_out_tongue: [/quote]

A 140# weight class should be for women, 12 year olds, or as you suggested… dwarfs. Even if you could compete at that level I can’t imagine wanting to.

Just get some testosterone and train for 18 months straight and go in at the 175-185 lb level. It’s doable.

This is what I think.

I am a recreational lifter with over 15 years of experience. I have decided to compete in a local Natural show. I have to step everything up to a higher level.

My plan is to go this years show and watch how it all works. I need to see the other bb’ers and how they look. I want to have an idea of what is going on before I step on stage.

Then I am going to put a one year plan together, lifting, eating, sleeping, otc supplements, and posing. Work on my weak points and get everything ready. Winning is not the main purpose. Sometimes the journey is more important than the prize.

I applaud you for wanting to take a big step and compete. It has taken me a long time to get there. I am not ready to step on stage and give a performance, need to prepare for it.

I would have to say that after 6 months of lifting you are not ready either. My guess is that you are naturally lean and the muscle you have added over the last 6 months really shows. I think there is much more to competing than just having some muscle.

[quote]zraw wrote:
What even made you think you should or could compete after 7 months of training…?

[/quote]

for the challenge and the fun of it :slight_smile: seems i have lots more prep work.

[quote]urbanski wrote:
zraw wrote:

for the challenge and the fun of it :slight_smile: seems i have lots more prep work. [/quote]

Kk, well what I would suggest is that you first go watch a show to see where you’re at right now

I think even tough you’re already lean, your muscles wouldnt be full enough to think about competing. + you would compete below 140lbs if your at 140 right now

Keep lifting, learn the pose, go see a show, get some experience bingo

Good luck with whatever you may end up doing

P.S. Reading my 1st comment again, I feel like it sounded half like a dick so sorry for that, wasnt intentionnal

Start practising posing.

If you go up and just hit a few poses which don’t flow and look shit, you probably won’t do as well if you have a good posing routine. Its not just the body itself, but how you present it.

Just go on youtube and watch some videos. Ed Corney was known as one of the best posers of all time. Frank Zane also, but remember these bodybuilders posed to show their strengths, not necessarily hide their weaknesses though.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
I think you need 3 years of consistent training as a minimum to compete. [/quote]

I dont think there is ever a minimum it depends on the person plus there are 13 year old divisions and as stupid as they are how could they have more than a year of training. Its just an example but everyone is diff

If you really plan on competing in the future, I say go ahead and do it. You will get some experience out of it for when you actually have a chance of winning.

Next November sounds better.

[quote]urbanski wrote:
ok guys, thanks. i know i can and want to get bigger, but they have a 140-lb weight class. i guess maybe the winner of that class is like 4 foot tall :stuck_out_tongue: [/quote]

My friend is a local bodybuilder at 5’3 140 pounds and is basically a freak of nature. If you want to see pics of what you might be up against look at his thread.

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/pictures_pics_photo_body_rate_image_performance/i_want_to_consider_bodybuilding_rate_me?pageNo=0#2184537

[quote]zraw wrote:

P.S. Reading my 1st comment again, I feel like it sounded half like a dick so sorry for that, wasnt intentionnal
[/quote]

no worries. thanks for your advice guys! :slight_smile:

[quote]urbanski wrote:
zraw wrote:

no worries. thanks for your advice guys! :slight_smile:
[/quote]

If you’re 40+ already, then your easy muscle-building years are long past…
I concur with the advice of the other guys here, and want to add that dieting down for a show completely interrupts your mass-gain phase… That sucks at any age and is a reason why you should just concentrate on building yourself up now.

Forget about bodyfat, do cardio as necessary to keep your bf at REASONABLE (read: abs don’t matter, but you don’t get obese either) levels…

Lift the heaviest weights you can for reasonable form and concentrate on using more weight/do more reps with previous weight in the hypertrophy zone on all exercises, every single time you step into the gym.

Eat a ton of protein and fat+carbs as needed. If you feel run down all the time or your strength doesn’t increase, eat more.
(and do the broomstick stretch to keep your rotator cuffs healthy)

Three or so years from now (at your age, that may take more time actually)
you can start to think about competing. Kinda depends on which weight-class you’re shooting for…

I applaud you for taking bbing up at your age, btw. Now keep at it and pay your dues.

One more word of advice: Your tendons won’t be able to take the same kind of punishment that younger lifters shrug off like it’s nothing… I’d say stay in the 8-15 rep range, as long as you get stronger in that range you’ll grow.

In the case that you already knew all that, then I’m sorry, just making sure you have the basics down.

yes, then post pics.