Should I Eat Carbs On Non Lift Days?

I just don’t want them to be converted into fat. I’m talking about complex carbs here (brown rice, whole wheat, potatoes).

It depends on what YOUR body can handle.

What one guy can/can’t handle is totally different than another person. There is no template response here. Experiment and see for yourself.

EDIT: I did not realize you were 15 years old.

STOP WORRYING ABOUT THIS KIND OF STUFF AND EAT TO GROW, DO NOT GET FAT.

Do absolutely not make it any more complicated than that.

Yes. End thread.

I personally dont, but i usually have only 1 carb meal/week currently, but im trying to lean out.

if your carb sources are from whole food (ie not sugary drinks etc…) then you will be just fine and they will help you grow, just dont go over board. but at 15 your going to be able to put those clean carbs to good use.

[quote]SSC wrote:
I did not realize you were 15 years old.

STOP WORRYING ABOUT THIS KIND OF STUFF AND EAT TO GROW, DO NOT GET FAT.

Do absolutely not make it any more complicated than that.[/quote]

THIS!!

at 15, eating carbs should be the last thing you worry about.

Just eat good healthy sources of all macros and you’ll be fine.

Enjoy your teens!

[quote]hurrdurrgomad wrote:
I just don’t want them to be converted into fat. I’m talking about complex carbs here (brown rice, whole wheat, potatoes). [/quote]

1. Controlling your body composition and weight is dependent on macronutrient content, but staying lean or avoiding fat gain is also dependent upon appropriate caloric amount. As someone said, see what macronutrient amounts you handle the best (more or less fat or more or less carbs in the diet).

2. I have no clue where the heck this carb phobia came from and why it still exists today! NO hard training bodybuilders have this irrational phobia and all eat carbs, in some cases, LOTS of them! Lee Haney, Jay Cutler, Michael Francois, Dorian Yates, and Shawn Ray at times consumed offseason diets of up to 60% carbs!

3. People have gotten shredded to the bone with both ketogenic and high carb diets (Chris Aceto and his higher carb approach has been getting people shredded for decades!).

4. People have controlled their bodyweight eating carbs at EVERY or NEARLY EVERY meal for a long time–so much for getting insane with nutrient timing (although it does have some merit in some cases).

5. No one but the most advanced or fairly lean who want to get leaner has to fuck around with complicated strategies. (You can give an overly fat guy with shitty eating habits and little experience a high or moderate carb diet and he’ll lose weigh so long as there’s a caloric deficit and a good training regimen).

6. Your question is alright but there are HUNDREDS of articles on THIS site on nutrition written by experts, some of whom compete or have competed.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

I just don’t want them to be converted into fat. I’m talking about complex carbs here (brown rice, whole wheat, potatoes). [/quote]

1. Controlling your body composition and weight is dependent on macronutrient content, but staying lean or avoiding fat gain is also dependent upon appropriate caloric amount. As someone said, see what macronutrient amounts you handle the best (more or less fat or more or less carbs in the diet).

2. I have no clue where the heck this carb phobia came from and why it still exists today! NO hard training bodybuilders have this irrational phobia and all eat carbs, in some cases, LOTS of them! Lee Haney, Jay Cutler, Michael Francois, Dorian Yates, and Shawn Ray at times consumed offseason diets of up to 60% carbs!

3. People have gotten shredded to the bone with both ketogenic and high carb diets (Chris Aceto and his higher carb approach has been getting people shredded for decades!).

4. People have controlled their bodyweight eating carbs at EVERY or NEARLY EVERY meal for a long time–so much for getting insane with nutrient timing (although it does have some merit in some cases).

5. No one but the most advanced or fairly lean who want to get leaner has to fuck around with complicated strategies. (You can give an overly fat guy with shitty eating habits and little experience a high or moderate carb diet and he’ll lose weigh so long as there’s a caloric deficit and a good training regimen).

6. Your question is alright but there are HUNDREDS of articles on THIS site on nutrition written by experts, some of whom compete or have competed. [/quote]

Great post. I had this irrational fear. I guess from being overfat most of my life.

but since beginning to cut I ate more carbs than ever during the beginning sometimes 600+g a day (this has gone down a lot over the past 12 months of dropping bf approx 37lbs) and now I’m looking better and better as the months go on.

Don’t be afraid of carbs brotha.

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:
Great post. [/quote]

Thanks!

You should be having some carbs with breakfast, lunch, and dinner, 7 days a week. Just like I told you in your other thread:

Great post.[/quote]
Agreed. Solid info from Brick that’s unfortunately going to be overlooked because OP is 15 years old and, like most teen lifters, is trying to make things more complicated than they need to be.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

6. Your question is alright but there are HUNDREDS of articles on THIS site on nutrition written by experts, some of whom compete or have competed. [/quote]

love. this. post.

carb phobia’ll be listed in the DSM IV in a few years time, mark my words

I wish someone would have told me to avoid carbohydrates when I was fifteen.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
I wish someone would have told me to avoid carbohydrates when I was fifteen.[/quote]

an entire page of people telling him to eat carbs…then this… hahahahaha

I wish someone would have told me to avoid carbohydrates when I was fifteen.[/quote]

an entire page of people telling him to eat carbs…then this… hahahahaha[/quote]

This is illogical. Conventional wisdom is typically idiotic.

Carbohydrates are not required to build muscle. They are not required to sustain life.

They are not necessary at all so if someone is predisposed to gain fat when he eats them he should not eat them at all.

Moreover, physical performance can be vastly improved when someone becomes fat adapted rather than being glucose dependent.

So…?

Carbohydrates are not required to build muscle. They are not required to sustain life.

They are not necessary at all so if someone is predisposed to gain fat when he eats them he should not eat them at all.

Moreover, physical performance can be vastly improved when someone becomes fat adapted rather than being glucose dependent.

So…?[/quote]
So it’s short-sighted at best, and irresponsible at worst, to tell a 15-year old to get on a macro-restrictive diet when he changes his training “program” every week and he doesn’t have a consistent eating schedule. A 15-year old kid isn’t “pre-disposed” to anything because he’s still developing.

He already has thread after thread overanalyzing his nutrition and training to the Nth degree. Encouraging him to avoid carbs before he has any kind of solid foundation or understanding of diet is not helpful.

No offense, because you do have some solid advice, but I think you’re approaching this with a “tomato is a fruit” outlook, while forgetting not to use it in a fruit salad.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

So…?[/quote]
So it’s short-sighted at best, and irresponsible at worst, to tell a 15-year old to get on a macro-restrictive diet when he changes his training “program” every week and he doesn’t have a consistent eating schedule. A 15-year old kid isn’t “pre-disposed” to anything because he’s still developing.

He already has thread after thread overanalyzing his nutrition and training to the Nth degree. Encouraging him to avoid carbs before he has any kind of solid foundation or understanding of diet is not helpful.

No offense, because you do have some solid advice, but I think you’re approaching this with a “tomato is a fruit” outlook, while forgetting not to use it in a fruit salad.[/quote]

He’s fifteen and he should (learn to) experiment to see what works best for him while he is still young.

Avoiding carbohydrate when I was young would have put me on a different plane of existence compared to where I am now.

If conventional wisdom worked (or worked easily) everyone that came to get advice from TNation would look like a bodybuilder in less than a year.

I dunno man, he is 15 I doubt he knows much about his body at this point.

I just know I’ve had better luck since upping my carbs.

Kid,

Get your carbs from natural foods, not the crap that came from a candy bar machine.

The kid is 15, he does not know a ca

[/quote]

And neither do most 40 year olds. What better time to start learning than while in the prime of youth.

[/quote]

And neither do most 40 year olds. What better time to start learning than while in the prime of youth.[/quote]

what I mean is he doesn’t know that he doesn’t handle carbs well. Why go low/no carb if he hasn’t deemed it necessary yet?

He is a young 15 year old who is developing more rapidly now than he will for the rest of his life, it makes more sense that he should be more worried about having a well rounded diet that is micro nutrient dense then worrying about cutting out a macronutrient that if from the right sources have no negative effects on the body and plenty of positive ones.

it’s not like after a few years of training and learning how to build a solid diet and maybe even track macros and calories, he can’t try to experiment with other things. I mean really? why would telling him to make such a dramatic change now really impact his future that much? I didn’t even start lifting until almost 19? and I didn’t start eating healthy until 11 months ago.