T Nation

Should I Drop Weightlifting Class?

Im 16 and have been training for about two years now and I have a question.

Im taking a weight lifting class at my school and our weight training coach just has us do full body workout circut training on isolation hammer stregnth machines and has us do push ups and sit ups. This is everyday for 5 days a week.

It is my general consensus from this site that for maximum gains your supposed to take days off to recover and do mostly compound exercises but our coach doesnt work his program in that way.

The current program im on is a 3-4 day a week program.
Day 1 Chest and Tri’s
Day 2 Rest
Day 3 Biceps and Back
Day 4 Rest
Day 5 Legs
Day 6 Rest
Day 7 start over

I was wondering what you guys think i should do.

Should I lift weights twice a day or drop the class or drop the program?

I want to get bigger and stronger and have been seeing the best gains yet in my current program.

Another question i have is should i add an auxiliary muscle day (forearms, abs, core, agility, wrists) in the place of one of my rest days and/or add another muscle group to my leg day.

Also I play lacrosse and primarily train for it, it requires alot of running, and I may or maynot have time to lift after school during the season. What could i do during the season to prevent muscle loss?

Just for anyone who doesnt know lacrosse is the game with sticks and “nets”. So i need lowerbody and core stregnth such as speed and explosiveness but i dont feel i have enough exercises to do to make 2 days so i just do these when i feel like it or remember them.

And no we dont rape people.

well the class sounds like an as easy ‘a’ so you could keep it, and use the circuit as a filler workout, i.e, promoting recovery. just use light weights. but then again since you’re going for size and strength, you’d probably have to eat more to compensate for the extra calories burned.

I think you should talk to your instructor. Tell him about your program and your training history. It looks like the program he has you on is for someone new to lifting. He may have a plan to step up the training later on. In a class, the instructor has to cater to the group and if your needs are not the same as the rest of the group, you’re really wasting your time there. Is this a credit course or just a recreational thing?

if this is a class you are taking instead of “home economics”, keep with it and just glide through. your gonig to need to do sme other shit though to get bigger and stronger. sprints, squats, deadlifts, benching etc…

if not; stop going and do research here for good strength/speed building programs.

you have 2yrs experience; thats’ not too bad…time to cut the cord. see if you can talk someone else in your group out of it so you have a workout partner!

[quote]ripDlax wrote:
Should I lift weights twice a day or drop the class or drop the program? [/quote]
I second everything Stuward said.

Yes and no. I’d make sure you include some type of pre-hab moves throughout the week, either on training days or on an “off” day; something to target the upper back, ankles, and wrist/grip. Agility training is a whole 'nother ball game, and would best be dealt with once your extra gym class is finished.

Nope. With a bodypart split, “legs” should cover enough by itself, presuming you’re hitting quads, hamstrings, and calves on this day.

As little volume as you can stand, with uber-efficient full-body workouts two, maybe three, days a week. In-season, the priority is playing the sport and winning games, and what you do in the weight room is a (fairly distant) second.

When I was in high school I would have killed to have the option of taking a weightlifting class as opposed to running track in the hot sun. Talk about it with your instructor and enjoy the easy A!

Just keep the class. Even if your instructor doesn’t let you do the program, do it anyways. If you’re showing up to every class you’ll still pass. Most high schools have amazing gyms and they’re free so it’s a win win.

" Most high schools have amazing gyms and they’re free so it’s a win win."

Not in USA.

lol.

~in addition: my highschool hockey coach thought a leg press was using a calf raise machine.

lol; he’s “going places”

are you in a “easier” lifting class like begining sport or something. At my high school there was actual strength training classes that used bigger faster stronger and that is all we did but there were sport classes or fitness ones that included playing games plus weights which was the circuit training.

If so try to switch to the strength training class and if not suggest bfs to your teacher try to talk to him about it.

[quote]B rocK wrote:
~in addition: my highschool hockey coach thought a leg press was using a calf raise machine.

lol; he’s “going places”[/quote]

bobybuilding.com?

[quote]B rocK wrote:

Not in USA.

lol.[/quote]

Heh.

You ain’t in Texas.

[quote]Bellmar wrote:
B rocK wrote:

Not in USA.

lol.

Heh.

You ain’t in Texas.[/quote]

our’s is really nice too. for a school of around 400 people, we have six power racks, three platforms, assorted trap and curl bars, and atleast 2700lbs. in plates.

and on the other side, we have a bunch of machines, cardio stuff, swiss/bosu balls, and i think a smith machine. it alright, lol. btw, everything is maybe 3 years old, and very well maintained

[quote]B rocK wrote:

Not in USA.

lol.[/quote]

My HS has a nice weight room. 4 Olympic weight sets, 3 sets of dumbells with 5-60 lbs in 5lb increments, beautiful power rack that nobody uses except me, a preacher bench, 2 Olympic benches, a neck machine and several harasses, 3 treadmills, 2 rowers, a back hyper setup, several machines including a lat pulldown and a cable machine, and trap bars, e-z curl bars, a front squat bar, an assisted pullup/dip machine, and many other fun toys.

And the best part is that it is nearly empty apart from 2 teachers on the treadmills.

[quote]stuward wrote:
Is this a credit course or just a recreational thing? [/quote]

Its an elective for credit.

and yeah today all we did was went around in a circle of the hammer stregnth machines and did one set of as many as we could for like 20 seconds.

and we were working with embarrassingly low weights so everyone could do them. It was a challenge to break a sweat. Theres only 1 other “lifter” in the class everyone else in there just does it because they are skinny.

This seems like a pretty low impact program that were doing so much so that i feel almost as if im wasting my time in there.

Im just really on the fence right now because its first period and is a bitch to have a physical class when im still mentally asleep. I also get hungry after i lift and have to wait 3 more periods for lunch.

Would doing this program in the morning and then continueing my usual program in the afternoons be overtraining?

and my other options of classes instead of 1st period weighttraining are badmitton, photography, and psych any suggestions?