T Nation

Should I Do This to Grow Bigger?

Hi, my name is Lucas and here is my story:
I am 17, 175cm/5'9'', 67kg/147lbs. My goal is to become aesthetic and really strong.

I've been going to the gym for about 9 Month and already increased weight and strength.

At the moment I do the Stronglifts 5x5 which has already worked well to this moment. I squat a 1RM of 105kg, deadlift a 1RM of 120 kg and bench a 1RM of 68kg. The Benchpress is absolutely my weakness.
I plan to follow the 5x5 until I can squat 120kg, deadlift 140kg and bench 80kg.

After that (I think it will be around October or something like this) I want to focus on gaining mass. So I planned to work out 3 times a week (ABA BAB) and mixing the 20 rep squat routine with the RepGasm by Charles Staley.
My plan would look like this:

Day A:
First PR Zone (15 Minutes)

A-1) Chins/Pullups (I prefer Chins)
A-2) Dips

Rest of 5 to 10 minutes

Second PR Zone (15 Minutes)

A-1) Standing EZ-Bar Curl
A-2) Lying Dumbbell Triceps Extension

Day B:

1x20 Squat
(plus maybe stifflegged deadlifts)

So my question is: Does this make any sense?
I feel mentally tough enough for the squat routine and I want to use the time until March for gaining some solid mass (as everyone else: as much muscles as possible).
I like the ideas behind the different routines so I would like to try them.

I am thankful for everybody who read until here and is willing to help me.

Greets from Germany,

Lucas

Charles Staley knows his stuff, so any routine of his will absolutely get you bigger and stronger.

BUT

Getting bigger is much more about how you eat than how you train. If you want to get bigger, you need to eat more than you are currently. You could be on the best routine in the universe designed by Zeus himself, but if you're not eating right you won't get bigger.

First, thanks.

So what about the exercises for the lower body.
I changend the original plan by Staley because it was:
Pull Clean 8x3
Squat 5x5 (which I am already doing)

Would you recommend to do some deadlifts after the 1x20 squats?

I definitely don't want to describe me as a pro or anything like that, but I can say that I already know some stuff (how to eat,etc.). That's why I am just talking about the workout.
Anyways, I am thankful for any advice and oppertunity to increase my knowledge.. So please feel free to give me information/articles.
I'll read everything.

What did you weigh 9 months ago?

I don't think so. 20-rep squats are intense enough on their own, and are meant to be done 2-3 times per week usually for 4-8 weeks, and the EDT Repgasm is an upper body specialization (and "upper body specialization" means not-very-intense lower body work). I don't see how they can be effectively blended together.

For the lower body day, I'd consider sticking pretty close to what he recommended originally or even something basic like:
Squat variation (back squat or front squat) 5x4-6
Lunge or Romanian deadlift 4x8-10

Wouldn't it make more sense to try one properly and then try the other properly, instead of mashing them together and hoping something good happens?

Thanks Chris!

Well, when I started to lift, I weighed about 55 kg at a little bit more bodyfat.

I must admit that your suggestion sounds logic.
So I think I am going to do the lower body day you described.

There's enough time to lift left, so I am going to do the 20 rep squat routine later.

If you've gained a little over 1kg a month/about 3 pounds a month, you're on pace with slow and steady progress. But at your current size and age, I think you almost-certainly have room to push things a little more on the nutrition side.

Especially with any kind of specialization plan, you want to really make the most out of it, so don't be afraid to bump up your calories even more (from quality protein, fats, and carbs) especially on training days.

Okay, I'll try my best.

I don't know if this is the right thread, but do you think about 2800 calories a day is enough? My doctor checked my thyroid this April and so I know that my metabolism is almost overactive.
Of course it's not possible to gain muscles without gaining at least a little bodyfat. But the problem is, I wont have time to diet next year because I'm going to have my exams and so I will need every single "bite of energy" I can get.

Dont worry about calories. Add a bit of food to what you're eating now until you stop gaining, then add a bit more. Rinse repeat.

Sounds logic. I forgot how simple it could be.

Another question:

When I am doing Front Squats and Romanian Deadlifts on the lowerbody day, should I train also the traps?
I thougt about 3 sets of Farmers walk so it wouldn't be that much extra work.

There's no reason to train traps on lower body day.

Farmer's walks train everything, not just traps. And again, there's no reason to directly train traps on this program. Stick to the plan as written.

Okay, soon I am going to start with the EDT-Programm.
As there appeared a new question, I hope you are still willing to help me.

For the lowerbody day I want to do Deadlifts ans Frontsquats.
My question is, would it be good to train the Frontsquats in a rep range of 8-10 and maybe the deadlifts, too?

[quote]lcs_bllr wrote:
Okay, soon I am going to start with the EDT-Programm.
As there appeared a new question, I hope you are still willing to help me.

For the lowerbody day I want to do Deadlifts ans Frontsquats.
My question is, would it be good to train the Frontsquats in a rep range of 8-10 and maybe the deadlifts, too?[/quote]

You are a beginner. You will very likely lose the strength gains you’ve made on your current lifts if you stop doing them and switch to stuff you’ve never done.

Why go change the main lifts you’ve made your strength gains on just to follow some brand name program? It’s not like you won’t get bigger and stronger on a normal split using the same lifts but with a different rep range and/or adding some exercises if you want variety.

[quote]dt79 wrote:
You are a beginner. You will very likely lose the strength gains you’ve made on your current lifts if you stop doing them and switch to stuff you’ve never done.

Why go change the main lifts you’ve made your strength gains on just to follow some brand name program? It’s not like you won’t get bigger and stronger on a normal split using the same lifts but with a different rep range and/or adding some exercises if you want variety.[/quote]
So in your opinion, something like 5/3/1 would make more sense? The problem is, I feel a little helpless when seeing all the different routines and ways how to train, that I really can’t decide

[quote]lcs_bllr wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

Why go change the main lifts you’ve made your strength gains on just to follow some brand name program? It’s not like you won’t get bigger and stronger on a normal split using the same lifts but with a different rep range and/or adding some exercises if you want variety.[/quote]
So in your opinion, something like 5/3/1 would make more sense? The problem is, I feel a little helpless when seeing all the different routines and ways how to train, that I really can’t decide[/quote]

I think 531 will suit your goals.

You can add in dips and front squats as assistance exercises.

Don’t overthink all this. This is why you feel helpless.

Progressive resistance and volume along with a proper diet and hard work will get you the results you want.

These have worked for serious trainees for decades. There’s no reason they won’t work for you.

You can start experimenting with EDT and other stuff when you’re more experienced and have a better understanding of your body’s response to different exercises and rep ranges.

[quote]dt79 wrote:
Progressive resistance and volume along with a proper diet and hard work will get you the results you want.

These have worked for serious trainees for decades. There’s no reason they won’t work for you.[/quote]
Exactly this.

It’s confusing because a lot of programs look very different on the surface and it’s hard to pick one.

For the most part though, you’re going to get:

• a basic exercise selection (a few or all of the following: squat, bench, overhead press, deadlift, row, pullup/chin, clean)
  • maybe some assistance exercises, depending on the program
  • rules for progressing the weights/intensity over time (5/3/1’s training max, 5lbs a session, 5lbs a week)
  • a template for your work sets (5x5, 3x4-6, 4x8-12, 5/3/1)
  • a template for your training week

Pretty much anything that fits that mold will work. Over time, you’ll learn where your preferences are, and what you respond to best. Some people need more volume; others need more intensity; some do better cycling between them every few weeks, etc. All those details are things you can pick up as you go.

For now though, find something that resonates with you, keep a training log, and learn from your experience.

[quote]lcs_bllr wrote:
As there appeared a new question, I hope you are still willing to help me.[/quote]
For reference, what do you currently weigh? And what have you gotten up to on the basic lifts?

In general, most people can get away with 8-10 rep front squats, but deadlifts in that kind of rep range aren’t really something for beginners because they’re so damn difficult. (Also, there’s really no point in doing deads EDT-style for 8-10 reps because you’d be using like a superlight 20RM weight. And alternating front squats and deads in the same EDT zone is a terrible idea.)

Other than that, x2 to what Dt and Rez just said. Keep it simple.

Well, I didn’t want to do the frontsquats and deadlifts EDT-style.
I have to be honest, I have not gained much weight (actually I lost a few kilos during a 2week-flu) but my big lifts went up to a 115kg squat, 115 deadlift and a 80kg bench press.
Of course there could have been a lot more improvement but it’s still some progress.

I think I am gonna cancel my plans of EDT and just start 531 and improve my diet even more.

Thank you guys!

Yep try 5/3/1.
Generally as long as you are hitting the prescribed reps for the main lift of the day you can do whatever you want for accessories/try out EDT type stuff pump work for arms etc. Saying that, for the first cycle or two stick exactly to the template you choose