Should I Do the 300 Movie Workout

300 workout

I think we’ve all seen it. And I think we all know how it’s performed.

But what I am wanting to know is wether or not I should do it, and will it give me serious gains in mass?

What are your thoughts on this workout?

[quote]kujayhawkfan wrote:
And I think we all know how it’s performed.
[/quote]

Let’s assume we don’t all know how it is performed; described to us what this workout is.

All the answers to both your questions can be found in this 15 minute podcast.

http://thefitcast.com/?p=164

I dont know how the workout is performed, but chances are it wont get you those results.

Am I the only one tired of hearing this?

I’m not saying the workout wasn’t effictive. Given the time period (short) and goal (get actors LOOKING like they are in shape, ie lose a good amount of bodyfat), I probably would have choosen something similar. The workout is based on a crossfit type program, something I used to do for conditioning in the pre-season when I was wrestling.

However, just because something worked well for one set of goals, does not mean it is perfect for you and your goals. I am tired of hearing “what do you think about the workout guys did in 300”. You are not in 300. You are not paid to workout 4-6 times a day and eat designer meals. You do not have 8 hours a day to devote towards getting lean. Your goals may not even be the same.

There are in all probability, more efficient ways to achieve your goals.

Okay, the workout consists of:

25 pullups,
50 deadlifts,
50 pushups,
50 jumps on a 24 inch box,
50 floor wipers,
50 single arm clean and presses using a 36-lb kettlebell,
and 25 more pullups.

–All these were done as one superset–

[quote]wressler125 wrote:
Am I the only one tired of hearing this?

I’m not saying the workout wasn’t effictive. Given the time period (short) and goal (get actors LOOKING like they are in shape, ie lose a good amount of bodyfat), I probably would have choosen something similar. The workout is based on a crossfit type program, something I used to do for conditioning in the pre-season when I was wrestling.

However, just because something worked well for one set of goals, does not mean it is perfect for you and your goals. I am tired of hearing “what do you think about the workout guys did in 300”. You are not in 300. You are not paid to workout 4-6 times a day and eat designer meals. You do not have 8 hours a day to devote towards getting lean. Your goals may not even be the same.

There are in all probability, more efficient ways to achieve your goals.
[/quote]

Well said. If it were just about “the right workout”, eventually everybody would find said workout, everybody would do said workout, and everybody would be in great shape.

They got that way because they had personal trainers monitoring them and devoted every day to getting in that kind of shape, likely taking a good amount of supplements, and getting a lot of rest. There’s so much more to the whole deal than just finding the right X exercises performed Y times for Z sets.

You’re a 130lbs and have no weightlifting experience under your belt, I’d try a basic lifting program coupled with more eating before emulating routines of the movie-stars.

P.S. Gerard Butler supplemented the 300 routine with training from a bodybuilder.

[quote]ninesemesters wrote:

P.S. Gerard Butler supplemented the 300 routine with training from a bodybuilder.[/quote]

He was also already in shape.

You’re a 130lbs and have no weightlifting experience under your belt, I’d try a basic lifting program coupled with more eating before emulating routines of the movie-stars.

P.S. Gerard Butler supplemented the 300 routine with training from a bodybuilder.[/quote]

Good advice.

That routine won’t build much in the way of muscle. It’s primarily (as has been stated several times) designed for fat loss and conditioning purposes.

If you are looking to put on lean mass (muscle), then:

1. Lift heavy weights
  2. Eat a surplus of calories
  3. Rest

Good training,

Sentoguy

I’m not really considering doing it NOW. More like in the future, in a year or two.
Either that, or just down the reps and weights to make it more accustomed to my abilitys.
Reason I ask now is because in a few years, no one will remember much about it…

I will always remember the 300 routine…always.

That should tell you something right there.

[quote]kujayhawkfan wrote:
Okay, the workout consists of:

25 pullups,
50 deadlifts,
50 pushups,
50 jumps on a 24 inch box,
50 floor wipers,
50 single arm clean and presses using a 36-lb kettlebell,
and 25 more pullups.

–All these were done as one superset–[/quote]

Okay, this is what I was expecting. That’s not a regular training routine, it’s a one-time test that some of the actors performed near the end of their training. No one did this every day. From the Gym Jones website article:

“The second misconception surrounds the idea of the Spartan workout, aka ?300?, how frequently it was done or who actually finished it. ?300? is a one-time test, an invitation-only challenge undertaken by those deemed ready for it.”

In short, it’s not something they used day-to-day to build their physiques, and so there’s no reason why you should try using it.

This is just yet another case of someone wanting “fast gains” without having to put forth the time that it would take to do it normally. The best gains take time, patience, and aren’t found in a fancy hollywood workout.

OK, who was the joker that gave this thread stars?

What a waste of time reading it!

real spartans drank a drink made of smashed up liver. drink that, instead of the routine.

don’t forget the most important part of the routine: the movie make up artist, the fake abs and the special effects.

[quote]IronWarrior24 wrote:
This is just yet another case of someone wanting “fast gains” without having to put forth the time that it would take to do it normally. The best gains take time, patience, and aren’t found in a fancy hollywood workout.[/quote]

Ease up - he’s a beginner, he’s got 4 posts. Most folks don’t know better the first time. And training at Gym Jones doesn’t qualify as fancy, they work hard and get results. If it’s good enough for Dan John…

The actors and extras did not join the cast obese or flexing bone. You’d probably want to look at what they did PRIOR to the gymjones workout.

[quote]vermilion wrote:
IronWarrior24 wrote:
This is just yet another case of someone wanting “fast gains” without having to put forth the time that it would take to do it normally. The best gains take time, patience, and aren’t found in a fancy hollywood workout.

Ease up - he’s a beginner, he’s got 4 posts. Most folks don’t know better the first time. And training at Gym Jones doesn’t qualify as fancy, they work hard and get results. If it’s good enough for Dan John… [/quote]

Perhaps I should have explained it better. Fancy really is not the right word. What I meant was that there is not a magic workout that will give you the physique of a “Spartan” in an extremely short period of time, at least not for someone who has work, school etc. who doesn’t get paid to work out like the actors in the film were. You will have to stick with a good routine that fits your schedule etc. to get good results.