T Nation

Should I Do Starting Strength?

Just do SS and get your nutrition in order. You want to do it and it will only take like 6 months to run through… it’s not like it’s going to hurt. But like above, run it exactly. Buy the book and read it.

531 is the popular program (not saying it’s bad) nowadays, so people are going to support it… plus Wendler is on T Nation now, so we can all have a big circle J.

[quote]1 Man Island wrote:
Just do SS and get your nutrition in order. You want to do it and it will only take like 6 months to run through… it’s not like it’s going to hurt. But like above, run it exactly. Buy the book and read it.

531 is the popular program (not saying it’s bad) nowadays, so people are going to support it… plus Wendler is on T Nation now, so we can all have a big circle J.[/quote]

I support 5/3/1 for his case because he’s concerned with his physique and has limited equipment, and the assistance work in 5/3/1 will help in those regards. I personally think SS is a poor choice for most beginners, especially someone without bumper plates.

Yeah, I’m not anti-531 at all (never tried it), but he seems to already have his mind made up.

I figure 6 months is not a big deal. He’ll probably be disappointed physique-wise at the end, but he’ll at least have some strength and form to then move on… even if he stalls out early. It’s not like SS is a ticket to Baskin Robbins or anything (do these even exist any more?).

I bet he comes back now more interested in 531 now that he was given “permission” to do SS.

I think until you build a reasonable amount of strength you can’t go wrong with a variation of a 5x5 program where you start light and add to the bar each session. Plus as the other’s have said monitor what food you eat and then you won’t put weight on, in fact if you look at the main author of the strong lifts 5x5 he’s not big at all so it must be possible.

[quote]magick wrote:

[quote]Digity wrote:
Well, I didn’t appreciate his tone calling me a super-procrastinator (i.e. lazy). Why is that okay for him to say?[/quote]

Why isn’t it?

You said you gave up because things didn’t go well. That is being lazy.

The first three months that I ran SS, I gained 13-15lb and didn’t get much stronger. It pissed me off. I realized that the whole “eat a shit-ton” doesn’t mean diddly squat when you’re not moving a whole lot of weight to begin with. So I took a different approach. Things improved.

When you hit problems you either work around them or find a way to blast through. Anything else is being lazy and unmotivated.

[quote]
Maybe if he wasn’t being an ass I wouldn’t either.[/quote]

He wasn’t being an ass.

[quote]
I apologize for being an ass…I can be a bit sensitive at times. I’ll try to do better next time. This is why I’ve tried to avoid forums for years now…they bring out the worst in me.[/quote]

Then stop being sensitive. That is an issue with you, not others.

And taking avatars to be representative of the individual is silly.[/quote]
Yeah, I gave up. I have a history of giving up when the going gets tough or when things don’t go my way. I’m not like that when it comes to my career. In that area, I’m pretty persistent and strive to do my best, but in other areas of life I don’t have the same drive. Last year I started to change. I started taking up things that I found challenging, but I stuck with them even through the rough parts. What I learned is that when I stuck to stuff I eventually could get over the hurdles and progress forward. I gained confidence from that so now I’m trying to bring this new attitude to my lifting. My old attitude and outlook on lifting was bad and I think I was lifting before for all the wrong reasons.

Okay, I guess I’m just being overly sensitive, because I know I’ve failed a lot in this area of my life. I guess Rampant touched a nerve.

Who is that in his avatar then?

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
But didn’t you do Starting Strength a few years ago or not?

[/quote]
No, I never followed through on that. I vaguely remember that, but I do recall not really having a deep motivation. After my 6 month attempt I made two or three half-assed attempts to get back into lifting.

This time is a bit different. I hate going to the gym and dealing with people so I went and spent $500 on my own equipment. I have everything in my basement so no excuses about not wanting to go to the gym, etc. Everything is easily accessible.

Also, lately I’ve been making a lot of other healthy lifestyle changes and sticking to them for over a year. For instance, I quit alcohol, gave up television and meditate daily. I’ve been doing all these for about a year now. Previously, I would never stick to these things so I’ve learned to become more and more disciplined and the thing I discovered is that there’s a certain joy in discipline that’s even better than being lazy. I think that understanding is making me want to push myself into weightlifting.

Look, if I quit again please ban me from this forum and ridicule the shit out of me, but this time I want to do this seriously and do it right.

Yeah, I’m not anti-531 at all (never tried it), but he seems to already have his mind made up.

I figure 6 months is not a big deal. He’ll probably be disappointed physique-wise at the end, but he’ll at least have some strength and form to then move on… even if he stalls out early. It’s not like SS is a ticket to Baskin Robbins or anything (do these even exist any more?).

I bet he comes back now more interested in 531 now that he was given “permission” to do SS.[/quote]
Last time I was on here actively Westside was the rave. That’s the program I went with and got the lackluster results. However, I think that had to do more with me than the program. Still, that experience makes me hesitant to hop onto the latest rave here.

Part of me just wants to know/say I did SS…although, I need to research 5/3/1 more to make an informed decision.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

531 is the popular program (not saying it’s bad) nowadays, so people are going to support it… plus Wendler is on T Nation now, so we can all have a big circle J.[/quote]

I support 5/3/1 for his case because he’s concerned with his physique and has limited equipment, and the assistance work in 5/3/1 will help in those regards. I personally think SS is a poor choice for most beginners, especially someone without bumper plates.[/quote]

Why bumper plates? Any other reason than being too low for very light deadlifts?

Bumper plates allow you to drop the weight correct? Is that why, because you want to drop it when doing the deadlift? Can I use a mat instead? I currently have rubber cast iron plates.

BTW what does “5/3/1” stand for? I found an article, but I’m confused. Thanks for all the help. I feel like I’ve gotten off on the wrong foot here, but hope it’s water under the bridge.

I don’t believe a deadlift should be dropped. The bumper plates would be for the power cleans. A beginner generally does not have the strength to clean 135lbs from the start of their training, and if you use iron plates smaller in diameter than 45lbs, you will be training a different motor pattern compared to when you eventually do move up to 45lb plates (basically, a deficit power clean from the floor). Bumper plates allow you to bypass this by being able to train with the correct motor patter due to the uniform diameter of the plates. They also allow you to train a power clean without the eccentric, which is ideally how it should be trained (but Rippetoe does say this is not necessary).

[quote]Digity wrote:
BTW what does “5/3/1” stand for? I found an article, but I’m confused. Thanks for all the help. I feel like I’ve gotten off on the wrong foot here, but hope it’s water under the bridge.[/quote]

1. Learn proper form for basic barbell movements.

2. Make a conscious effort to eat more protein. Chris’ article puts the correct foods into perspective. http://www.T-Nation.com/training/teaching-a-kid-to-lift

3. Do 531 triumvirate + lots of facepulls OR Chris’ program from the article

4. Don’t make any type of excuse for yourself about why you can’t lift.

My plan us to do SS until I stall and then switch to 5/3/1. I’m going to worry less now about getting a little fat on SS since when I switch to 5/3/1 the pace is slower and I can do cardio, etc to get the weight ubder control. Sounds sensible?

BTW I don’t have a spotter and I’m not squatting in a rack. Will this effect me? How do I go balls to the wall without a spotter?

there is no need to work to failure to get stronger.

if you fail accidentally then just drop the weight.

do SS, or 5/3/1 or 5x5 but just DO IT.

Work hard, eat well, get stronger.

[quote]Digity wrote:
BTW I don’t have a spotter and I’m not squatting in a rack. Will this effect me? How do I go balls to the wall without a spotter?[/quote]
If you’re training by yourself and intend to actually push yourself, you’ll need a power rack with pins for when you fail. I’m sure someone has a second hand rack with pins somewhere. It’s always safest to do most barbell work in a rack with pins set to the appropriate height (except for olympic lifts of course).

[quote]Digity wrote:
BTW I don’t have a spotter and I’m not squatting in a rack. Will this effect me? How do I go balls to the wall without a spotter?[/quote]

You don’t need a spotter when squatting, not at this experience level. It’s not necessary and it’s counter-productive relying on other people to get your hardest reps done.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
I don’t believe a deadlift should be dropped. The bumper plates would be for the power cleans. A beginner generally does not have the strength to clean 135lbs from the start of their training, and if you use iron plates smaller in diameter than 45lbs, you will be training a different motor pattern compared to when you eventually do move up to 45lb plates (basically, a deficit power clean from the floor). Bumper plates allow you to bypass this by being able to train with the correct motor patter due to the uniform diameter of the plates. They also allow you to train a power clean without the eccentric, which is ideally how it should be trained (but Rippetoe does say this is not necessary).[/quote]

Thanks for the explanation. I’d forgotten about the power cleans in SS.

[quote]Digity wrote:
My plan us to do SS until I stall and then switch to 5/3/1. I’m going to worry less now about getting a little fat on SS since when I switch to 5/3/1 the pace is slower and I can do cardio, etc to get the weight ubder control. Sounds sensible?

Given your current situation, you may just want to pick up a pair of sawhorses. It’s not ideal, but it should give you the peace of mind to push yourself.

That being said, even with 20-rep squats, I’ve never dumped the bar.

[quote]Digity wrote:
Also, lately I’ve been making a lot of other healthy lifestyle changes and sticking to them for over a year. For instance, I quit alcohol, gave up television and meditate daily. I’ve been doing all these for about a year now. [/quote]
Excellent. So you can make serious, lasting lifestyle changes if you really want to. Use that same mindset and translate it into your lifting. If you can meditate daily and ditch television, you can certainly stick with lifting a few days a week for the next 6 months.

Say what now?