Should I Buy a Pickup Truck?

[quote]EZrider wrote:
If you’re going to get a truck…get a “TRUCK”!

2005 Ford F-350, Harley Davidson Edition. Even has a built in Play Station for the kids.[/quote]

I never understood why anyone would spend that kind of money on a truck, unless you have money to burn or are towing really big stuff. To each his own but to me it screams compensation.

This is not directed towards you, I just don’t get it. I drive my truck like a truck, something I wouldn’t feel comfortable with in a $60K vehicle.

Should you buy a truck? Yes, you should. Best vehicle you will ever own.

I’ve tried cars and SUV’s, I always end up back with a pickup.

No need for me to read this thread. The answer to your question is yes, under any circumstances.

[quote]24Animal7 wrote:
Besides pickup trucks, what is everyone’s opinion on the Nissan Xterra? It’s a dying breed, its one of the last few SUV’s built on a truck platform, not a car platform.[/quote]

A 4-runner is a better vehicle, a good off-roader if you need it, and will hold its value longer even though the start-up costs are more. It shares the platform with the FJ Cruiser. It is still body-on-frame, not unibody, so it still has a “truck” platform unlike most crossovers.

The new Jeep Grand Cherokees are also pretty nice, especially with the Hemi.

Sequoia is big, but its on the Tundra platform and will tow close to 10k pounds if you get a new one with the 5.7.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]EZrider wrote:

2005 Ford F-350, Harley Davidson Edition. Even has a built in Play Station for the kids.[/quote]

I never understood why anyone would spend that kind of money on a truck, unless you have money to burn or are towing really big stuff. To each his own but to me it screams compensation.

This is not directed towards you, I just don’t get it. I drive my truck like a truck, something I wouldn’t feel comfortable with in a $60K vehicle.[/quote]

I agree…this truck is a big toy. I have several trucks that I use in my business and this one is great when we are hauling big loads or pulling the camper. I use the other trucks for the rough stuff and this one mostly for fun. I never judge anyone for what they spend their hard earned $ on however, as long as it’s legal and moral go for it. I have been very blessed to be able to enjoy life and the health benefits I get from TRT are making my quality of life even better.

[quote]EZrider wrote:

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]EZrider wrote:

This is not directed towards you, I just don’t get it. I drive my truck like a truck, something I wouldn’t feel comfortable with in a $60K vehicle.[/quote]

I agree…this truck is a big toy. I have several trucks that I use in my business and this one is great when we are hauling big loads or pulling the camper. I use the other trucks for the rough stuff and this one mostly for fun. I never judge anyone for what they spend their hard earned $ on however, as long as it’s legal and moral go for it. I have been very blessed to be able to enjoy life and the health benefits I get from TRT are making my quality of life even better.[/quote]

That was a generous response. I was trying to come across as not TOO big a dick but wasn’t sure I had pulled it off.

I haven’t ever owned a truck just an SUV here or there but I’m driving a eco car now. I’d love to get myself back into an SUV or a truck eventually but now isn’t the time.

My reason for posting tho is- why do you want to buy new? I understand the “I’m the only one to drive it mentality” but you are fresh out of school. You still have student loans to pay off (no CC bills or anything either?) and probably some other things you may want to splurge on as well. I’m all for getting a new vehicle eventually but you can still get an awesome truck that is maybe 1-5 years old, love it like it’s your baby, and spend less in the process.

I’d look at something a little older to reduce payment personally. I am a few more years removed from school than you and I bought a nice new car that was cheaper to drive than filling up my old SUV due to MPG but even now I am looking to down size to something a little older and reduce my monthly. Just a thought. Sorry to be “that” guy

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]EZrider wrote:

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]EZrider wrote:

I agree…this truck is a big toy. I have several trucks that I use in my business and this one is great when we are hauling big loads or pulling the camper. I use the other trucks for the rough stuff and this one mostly for fun. I never judge anyone for what they spend their hard earned $ on however, as long as it’s legal and moral go for it. I have been very blessed to be able to enjoy life and the health benefits I get from TRT are making my quality of life even better.[/quote]

That was a generous response. I was trying to come across as not TOO big a dick but wasn’t sure I had pulled it off.[/quote]

Your Cool Testy1, you came across just fine…thanks

I’d say the ideal is a truck, a sports car and/or convertible, and a relatively fuel-efficient comfortable sedan (especially good for longer trips).

I’ve owned all three, and they’re all “the right choice”. It just depends on what your life is like at the time.

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
Got an 06 F-150 too. Fx4, extended cab with the V-8 Triton 5.6. My last truck was an 03 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 crew cab with the HEMI.

The pros on the Dodge were that the cab was HUGE, the HEMI was powerful, and it was easy to work on - lotsa room in the engine compartment to play. Good sound on the exhaust. Room to fuck on the back seat. The cons were that it had a few minor “stupid” problems, like the passenger side window button stopped working, the motor to change the air flow to the “defrost” setting broke (and would require almost $1000 in labor just to get to it to replace it) and a tail light that burned out once a month. Other than the stupid stuff, I loved that Dodge.

The pros on the Ford is that it get’s GREAT gas mileage for a 5.7 if you don’t drive like an asshole. Good power and torque. The FX4 is easy to upgrade tires and rims if you want to go bigger or higher. TONS of aftermarket accessories for the F-150 - it’s the most popular truck out there. Parts are cheap and easy to find. The interior is tasteful and well thought out. The rear seats lift up for storage underneath. All in all it’s very well thought out. The cons are that it’s only a half ton (not that I need bigger, but going from a 3/4 ton it just “feels” smaller). The overall cab area is much smaller than the Dodge (wouldn’t want to fuck on the back seat), but it’s plenty big enough to seat 5 people (6 if you lift the center console).

GET A TRUCK![/quote]

I have a 4x4 STX with a 4.8 V8 that gets horrendous gas mileage. This seems to be pretty consistent with the Fords from around that time frame, the smaller motor gets way worse gas mileage than the larger one.

I still think Dodges are massively underrated trucks. I have always had Fords, but that’s just a personal preference. I might look around a little more when it comes time to get another one.

If you want it and can afford it then buy it. Simple as that fuck any other reasoning or justifications.

[quote]Swolegasm wrote:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:
Nissan Titan[/quote]

Please tell me that’s yours. [/quote]

I wish. Its the pickup version of the Nissan Armada/Infiniti qx something or other.

[quote]24Animal7 wrote:
Anyways, I’ve always wanted a truck ever since I was 5 years old. [/quote]

That’s your answer right there. Hell, I’d buy a used Tacoma, Tundra, or F150 (couple years old) and call it good. Get it fully loaded with every option and enjoy your new ride.

james

This right here. Too many people jump into financially burdening themselves with purchases like this. I would never drop 35 k on a car or truck. Perhaps if I had no mortgage and seriously could not find something better to invest my money in. Cars rarely ever hold their value well.

Then again my family is involved in the auto industry and we all would buy our cars from the salvage yards and fix them at our shop. Its easy to get a 40 k car for 10k that way,

Personally though if I were going to get a truck I would get an S 10 or I believe now they are called the Chevy Colorado. They come with a 2.5 liter engine I believe.

[quote]coolnatedawg wrote:
I haven’t ever owned a truck just an SUV here or there but I’m driving a eco car now. I’d love to get myself back into an SUV or a truck eventually but now isn’t the time.

My reason for posting tho is- why do you want to buy new? I understand the “I’m the only one to drive it mentality” but you are fresh out of school. You still have student loans to pay off (no CC bills or anything either?) and probably some other things you may want to splurge on as well. I’m all for getting a new vehicle eventually but you can still get an awesome truck that is maybe 1-5 years old, love it like it’s your baby, and spend less in the process.

I’d look at something a little older to reduce payment personally. I am a few more years removed from school than you and I bought a nice new car that was cheaper to drive than filling up my old SUV due to MPG but even now I am looking to down size to something a little older and reduce my monthly. Just a thought. Sorry to be “that” guy[/quote]

[quote]A-rod wrote:
This right here. Too many people jump into financially burdening themselves with purchases like this. I would never drop 35 k on a car or truck. Perhaps if I had no mortgage and seriously could not find something better to invest my money in. Cars rarely ever hold their value well.

Then again my family is involved in the auto industry and we all would buy our cars from the salvage yards and fix them at our shop. Its easy to get a 40 k car for 10k that way,

Personally though if I were going to get a truck I would get an S 10 or I believe now they are called the Chevy Colorado. They come with a 2.5 liter engine I believe.

[quote]coolnatedawg wrote:

I’d look at something a little older to reduce payment personally. I am a few more years removed from school than you and I bought a nice new car that was cheaper to drive than filling up my old SUV due to MPG but even now I am looking to down size to something a little older and reduce my monthly. Just a thought. Sorry to be “that” guy[/quote][/quote]

The problem with these small underpowered trucks like the Colorado are they don’t really get much better mileage, so you are trading the usefulness of a fullsize truck for a couple MPG improvement. They are easier to park though.

Testy1 is right…I get better mileage from my 2009 Dodge Ram with the 5.7 liter Hemi, (same engine as my son’s Challenger), than I do from my 4cyl. toyota. My Dodge gets 20 mpg, (even more if I’m careful), it has PLENTY of Power when I need it, it’s comfortable, fun to drive, pulls my boat or trailer with ease, and it looks good!

Whatever you get, you can have a lot of fun making it “yours”. Just add your own stereo or put on some Flowmaster exhausts for better sound and improved mileage. You can add some pin striping or any number of things to give it your personal touch. Trucks are fun…I hope you enjoy your purchase for many years.

My Ford has been solid. 14 mpg no matter how I drive it, but it is useful.

This is Merica of course you should buy a truck

For 25k I bought a C5 Corvette and an Acura 1.6EL, I’ll never understand truck folks unless they’re actually using them for their intended purpose. Most trucks I see around here are red F150s with Ferrari badges on them and clean as shit. Trucks should be dirty with huge tries and 5000 feet off the ground.