T Nation

Should I Buy a Pickup Truck?

I am beginning a new job in several weeks and would love to ditch my crappy Hyundai Elantra. The car has given me nothing but issues since I bought it 3 years ago.

Anyways, I've always wanted a truck ever since I was 5 years old. A blue pickup truck haha. I never went through with purchasing a truck though because I was concerned about gas mileage. Now that I am finished with college, have minimal student loans (less than 12k), and a nice job I'm looking to purchase a new vehicle in several months.

I have been considering a Ford Fusion (AWD) or an EcoBoost F150 with 4x4. I really have no reason to purchase a truck, I don't have anything to tow/haul and I'll have a 30 mile roundtrip commute to work everyday. Should I purchase the truck anyways?

BTW, I'm looking to spend around 35K tops.

Please feel free to chime in. Thanks

The practicality of a truck is what makes them so great. I own a truck and can’t see myself ever not owning one. That being said, if you have no practical reason to own one then they aren’t practical. If you don’t haul or tow anything, you don’t buy big shit at Home Depot or whatever, you don’t have an above average sized dog and you have a decent commute ahead of you everyday, they don’t make that much sense.

Since you just graduated college, I would assume that your friends are all right around that same age/place in their lives. And you know what happens a lot at that age? People move, either home from college or out of their parents’ house or into new places when they get better jobs and so on. So, with a truck you otherwise don’t really need, you’ll be expected to be there for all your friends when they’re moving.

I say yes but I have always had trucks. If you own a truck for a little while it will become hard to live without one. Buy new furniture, got a truck to haul it, home improvement project, truck makes that easier. Just get an extended cab (they almost all at least have suicide doors now) because you will want things like groceries and extra people to be inside sometimes. Any of the major brands are solid trucks (except Nissan Titans). I drive a 06 f150 right now but hopefully my next one will be the GMC Sierra. God that’s a pretty truck. The Toyota Tundra seems to be the top choice around here these days.

if you’re not towing anything over 5,000 lbs and don’t need an 8’ bed go with a Tacoma. can get 2 or 4 wheel drive, street performance version or add a factory supercharger that lets you keep your warranty. has enough aftermarket parts to build it anyway you want.
will this blue work?

Got an 06 F-150 too. Fx4, extended cab with the V-8 Triton 5.6. My last truck was an 03 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 crew cab with the HEMI.

The pros on the Dodge were that the cab was HUGE, the HEMI was powerful, and it was easy to work on - lotsa room in the engine compartment to play. Good sound on the exhaust. Room to fuck on the back seat. The cons were that it had a few minor “stupid” problems, like the passenger side window button stopped working, the motor to change the air flow to the “defrost” setting broke (and would require almost $1000 in labor just to get to it to replace it) and a tail light that burned out once a month. Other than the stupid stuff, I loved that Dodge.

The pros on the Ford is that it get’s GREAT gas mileage for a 5.7 if you don’t drive like an asshole. Good power and torque. The FX4 is easy to upgrade tires and rims if you want to go bigger or higher. TONS of aftermarket accessories for the F-150 - it’s the most popular truck out there. Parts are cheap and easy to find. The interior is tasteful and well thought out. The rear seats lift up for storage underneath. All in all it’s very well thought out. The cons are that it’s only a half ton (not that I need bigger, but going from a 3/4 ton it just “feels” smaller). The overall cab area is much smaller than the Dodge (wouldn’t want to fuck on the back seat), but it’s plenty big enough to seat 5 people (6 if you lift the center console).

GET A TRUCK!

DBCooper- I did just graduate from college, but I am moving over 1,000 miles away from my hometown and college so I’m not really concerned about friends asking me to help them move shit.

SilverBlood- That Tacoma’s is a fine looking machine, but I would take it in a darker blue color.

My current career could involve possible a secondary relocation in 3 to 5 years where I would preferably move back closer to my hometown (1000 miles away). This is one of the reasons I am considering a truck now. I suppose I could always rent a UHaul as well in the event I decide to move again.

[quote]24Animal7 wrote:
DBCooper- I did just graduate from college, but I am moving over 1,000 miles away from my hometown and college so I’m not really concerned about friends asking me to help them move shit.

SilverBlood- That Tacoma’s is a fine looking machine, but I would take it in a darker blue color.

My current career could involve possible a secondary relocation in 3 to 5 years where I would preferably move back closer to my hometown (1000 miles away). This is one of the reasons I am considering a truck now. I suppose I could always rent a UHaul as well in the event I decide to move again. [/quote]
get the towing package and just rent a trailer if you gotta move a lot of stuff.
darker blue

Renting a trailer is a great idea. I’d need a blue Tacoma or something similar to tow it though!

Tundra (5.7 litre), F-150 (with ecoboost), or Silverado 1500 are all fine choices. The 2014 chevy’s are supposed to be awesome for both power and fuel economy. I’d skip the Tacoma, they are pretty spendy for what you get.

I personally have a new 2500 with a Duramax, and love the shit out of it. But I also pull around a 10K lbs. trailer.

I drove a ‘‘truck’’ as you call it, we call them jeeps, as my first vehicle. I really liked, it was nice looking and reasonably fast. It was always smelt of horse though and some of my friends used to hate it but whatever. I crashed it once while fooling around but thanks to the bull bar on the front it had hardly any damage.

I bought a car last year or so and I couldnt imagine driving long distances in the jeep, the car is way more comfortable, much faster and way better mileage.

If you’ve no reason to have one then I probably wouldnt, it might be a novelty at first but i’ve found 4WD are never as comfortable and you have about an hour or so everyday.

IF I were to buy one again (and money wasnt a problem), i’d get a isuzu dmax. Most comfortable of the trucks i’ve been in and it can look really nice with only a few things done to it.

I’m looking for an older truck to fix up and use for a 2nd car. I always need to haul something and my wife grumbles when I suggest using her SUV. Insurance is usually cheaper if the truck isn’t used for every day transportation.

Other than that, getting a newer truck is great. They ride like a car, all of them have AC and the interiors are nice. The downside… everyone wants to borrow it to move something.

Rob

I use to drive trucks, but I’ve gone back to cars. Honestly I don’t tow anything or haul around a lot of stuff. I know plenty of people with trucks if I need help with something so that always helps. I really like the sleekness and maneuverability of a nice car.

On another note, my dad has had a tacoma that is still going strong after 8 years and my brother has had his silverado for over 10 years. No major problems with either one.

I really like my 2012 Silverado, but if I didn’t need it for towing and such I would probably drive a car just for the mileage. My last three vehicles have been GM trucks though and I couldn’t imagine not having one for the convenience. Gas is a killer though, especially since it just hit $4.29 a gallon here.

I say if you want a truck, get a truck. I don’t think you can get ecoboost for under 40K though. My truck was around $25K and has plenty of power. Averaging around 19mpg in mix driving. You can buy a lot of gas for the $15K difference of ecoboost.

Nissan Titan

Volkswagen Amorok. get the 2.2 diesel and super chip it to 250bhp. Will still do 40+mpg.

Buying a 5.7l V8 these days is just dumb as fuck when Gas is almost $5 a gallon

when you do 10mpg, Your roundtrip to work would cost u $25. Makes no sense.

[quote]Marzouk wrote:
Nissan Titan[/quote]

Please tell me that’s yours.

You should answer this question each time with a yes. If you dont need a whole lot of truck just get a Tacoma. If you’re handy get an older one and tune it up. But, a truck is always valuable.

Besides pickup trucks, what is everyone’s opinion on the Nissan Xterra? It’s a dying breed, its one of the last few SUV’s built on a truck platform, not a car platform.

If you’re going to get a truck…get a “TRUCK”!

2005 Ford F-350, Harley Davidson Edition. Even has a built in Play Station for the kids.

Chicks dig trucks!