Should I Bulk?? Or What??

Here is the situation:
I am 5’8" and weigh about 170 and have 16-18% bodyfat. I haved dropped down before to 158 had 10 percent bodyfat according to a trainer at the gym who used caliper.(I really didnt feel 10%)
I had some good ab definition but some love handles my main problem is the lower back fat…Now the question
should I bulk??? Then Cut…
Should I cut??? Then Bulk…
Now to throw in a wrench into the problem, I also have to run to maintain some cardio, because i am in The Marine Corps so i must run, run, run.
my routine is usually Mon,Wed,Fri mornings Run…Mon,tues,wed,thurs,fri,Sat, in the afternoon, Lift heavy, one bodypart a day…
Any advice?

And the award for most helpful advice of the day goes to…

[quote]Kliplemet wrote:
doesn’t matter [/quote]

Seriously man, why even bother posting that?

Caroj, it’s really your call. Based on what you’ve said, you’ve gained 8 pound of muscle while also gaining 12 pounds of fat (going from 150/10% to 170/16%). It’s up to you as to how acceptable that is. Is your performance being affected (cardio endurance, etc)?

If you want to bulk up further, I’d keep a very careful eye not to add bodyfat too quickly. If you start cutting now, you’ll have to be careful to preserve as much muscle as possible.

One thing I can offer, if you want to stick with lifting so frequently, consider giving Dan John’s OLAD a shot, if only simply for a change of pace:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=483048

How about neither not a dedicated bulk or cut. Eat for your performance and goals which you are very unclear with. Eat at or above maint. and eat to make progress in the gym to recover etc.

The form will follow if the function improves. You may perfrom your best at 16% BF or what not. Its very indivdual.

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
How about neither not a dedicated bulk or cut. Eat for your performance and goals which you are very unclear with. Eat at or above maint. and eat to make progress in the gym to recover etc.

The form will follow if the function improves. You may perfrom your best at 16% BF or what not. Its very indivdual.

Phill[/quote]

I agree. Make sure you’re getting enough protein too.

Are you in a combat MOS or in the reserves?

You might also want to try total body workouts. I’d think they’d work better with all of your running.

Well i didnt mention that after getting down to my 10% weight i then gained 7lbs over the christmas and then after that I went to Cali in Jan and well 7 weeks of beer and Mexican food…so its not all muscle i gained fat

[quote]Kliplemet wrote:
Phill wrote:
How about neither not a dedicated bulk or cut.

some would call this “spinning your weels” from a strictly bodybuilding point of view

what i meant with “doesn’t matter” is that in the long term, it doesn’t matter wether you start with cutting or bulking now[/quote]

NOT!! if he does waht the rest of the post following that one single out of context line says. If he eats for performance and progress regardless of scale weight be it gain or lose pay attention to performance recovery etc. As long as he is consistantly getting stronger and doing better in the gym well something good will be happening.

If that means he has to slwoly gain great if he slowly loses Fine, if he maintains fine as long as he is perforoming better oence that stalls its time for more intake or rest.

Phill

[quote]Kliplemet wrote:
some would call this “spinning your weels” from a strictly bodybuilding point of view

what i meant with “doesn’t matter” is that in the long term, it doesn’t matter wether you start with cutting or bulking now[/quote]

You would know… right Klippy?

14 year old “oly lifter” who is “300lbs, 5’10 and ripped”.

Right?