T Nation

Should I Box Squat to Learn How to Squat?

Here’s my current 100kg x5x5 squat

I’ve been having problems with my squats a lot, like I have no idea how to keep the shin vertical, as the weight go up I can’t squat below parralel,or push my knees out, how to keep my lower back straight when going into the hole. The list of problem goes on and on.

I recently found Dave Tate’s old article saying that learning box squat could be good for many reasons, here’s the link to the article http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/squatting_from_head_to_toe
However, I haven’t found in the article or any other sources saying whether box squats could be used by beginners like me 3 times a week to learn squatting. Or should I just learn over and over with light weight until I actually get the squat right? Thanks in advance for tips and advices.

Get some olympic shoes and stop thinking about your shins having to be vertical. Just find your groove via some combination of breaking at the hips, sitting back, and dropping down letting your knees bend in line with your toes. Your shins will never be vertical.

there is nothing really terribly wrong with your squat. get some olympic shoes which should help with depth some. just keep working the squat and don’t search for the magic assistance exercise to fix everything. your shins won’t be vertical unless you are doing the box squat or have some gear to support you in the bottom.

get the shoes and maybe mess with your stance a bit and find a groove that feels most comfortable and keep hammering away and high quality squats instead of putting of putting to much energy into assistance.

Check out the “So you think you can squat” series on youtube by EliteFTS.com.

I like box squats to help me with my strength out of the bottom. Sometimes people don’t go deep because they don’t have the strength in that position, so their body doesn’t allow them to go any further. If this is the case for you, then box squats to a low box will help.

One thing to keep in mind: much of the “squat” technique advice given on elitefts.com is intended for multi-ply squatters lifting out of a monolift. This includes the “So you think you can squat” video. Its intended to get maximum carry over from the gear while using a wide stance that a monolift allows.

Raw squats are a different movement. Much of their advice doesn’t apply to those. Your squats look pretty good IMO.

just keep squatting, you are thinking about stuff way beyond your current experience…

hell Hatfield did OL squats for over 10 years before he ever power squatted,

seriously, just squat … also maybe drop the weight lift your reps and start building a base for the future

good luck

[quote]OBoile wrote:
One thing to keep in mind: much of the “squat” technique advice given on elitefts.com is intended for multi-ply squatters lifting out of a monolift. This includes the “So you think you can squat” video. Its intended to get maximum carry over from the gear while using a wide stance that a monolift allows.

Raw squats are a different movement. Much of their advice doesn’t apply to those. Your squats look pretty good IMO.[/quote]
I think of the reason i got confused was because elitefts guys used a 3 plate squatter as an example, thus kept me thinking i can only squat 1.5 plates should i even watch and learn from that series :slight_smile: You cleared it for me man. Thanks.

Box squats are a disc herniation waiting to happen, due to explosive compression of the spinal discs between the bar and the box, when you hit the box. Avoid.

learn the goblet squat Dan John

dont take the likes of Tate or wenning as gospel. yes they are extremely strong and respected but they are powerlifters that use gear. you cant achieve the positions they do if you are raw, and training a box squat will force you to sit back more than you can in a raw squat and you lose the feeling of being in the hole with a weight.

just my opinion

[quote]seekonk wrote:
Box squats are a disc herniation waiting to happen, due to explosive compression of the spinal discs between the bar and the box, when you hit the box. Avoid. [/quote]

If only someone had been training the world’s strongest powerlifters by always box squatting with maximal weights, we could test this little theory of yours…

Man, this is going to come off as a dick thing to say so I am saying sorry ahead of time. Your squat is fine. Just get focus on getting stronger. Fuck your technique right now and just get stronger by doing lots and lots of squats. Stick to a program for a really really long time. Do technique work as part of your warm-up or on off days.

Just never forget, this sport is about who lifts the most. Not whose lifts look the best.

Also, I am only saying this because there really are no glaring, obvious problems with your squat.

[quote]seekonk wrote:
Box squats are a disc herniation waiting to happen, due to explosive compression of the spinal discs between the bar and the box, when you hit the box. Avoid. [/quote]

… I am sure this comes from years and years of training and coaching experience/countless hours of reveiwing and studying research and all. I just want to say congratualtions. You have just posted the dumbest thing I have ever seen on the internet.

[quote]seekonk wrote:
Hahahahaha. Are you like dive bombing the box dude?

[quote]vegeta99 wrote:
learn the goblet squat Dan John

dont take the likes of Tate or wenning as gospel. yes they are extremely strong and respected but they are powerlifters that use gear. you cant achieve the positions they do if you are raw, and training a box squat will force you to sit back more than you can in a raw squat and you lose the feeling of being in the hole with a weight.

just my opinion [/quote] man Dave tate never mentioned in his video which he used a skinny kid to teach with, that beginners should not ger into box squatting, thus the confusion on my part. I’m trying to learn the squat which gets more and more difficult as I’m reaching 1.2x bodyweight. I remember reading rippetoe’s gomad thingie and followed it to the T. The results were good but my belly stucked too much for my liking tho.

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:
Man, this is going to come off as a dick thing to say so I am saying sorry ahead of time. Your squat is fine. Just get focus on getting stronger. Fuck your technique right now and just get stronger by doing lots and lots of squats. Stick to a program for a really really long time. Do technique work as part of your warm-up or on off days.

Just never forget, this sport is about who lifts the most. Not whose lifts look the best.

Also, I am only saying this because there really are no glaring, obvious problems with your squat.[/quote]
No you dont sound too bad, I prolly misinformed people abit by saying that 100kg squat on the video was a deload, my form broke down to Good mornings once i reach 110-120kg. I’m squatting 3x week right now using noobs linear progressin trying to go up to 140kg within 3 months thats why I’m racing to find the best methods to get there of course without wrecking my back, thats why i though Box squat would help. Others have said try goblet squat which sounds like great idea too. Thanks for your time tho bro.

[quote]K12 wrote:
Check out the “So you think you can squat” series on youtube by EliteFTS.com.

[/quote]

Agreed.

[quote]seekonk wrote:

If you lose tension when squatting on the box and have no control on the descent, then yes. However, there are many elite powerlifters that use box squats that have never had issues with them.

Kind of related question. I am currently getting my mom into lifting weights, more as a health thing than anything else. I’ve heard box squats are a great way for beginners (who aren’t going to have to ever squat in competition or anything like that) to train the same/similar muscle as the regular squat, but with a much less complex movement.

Thoughts? I’m trying to make this program as safe as possible for her, she’s 55 years old and has a bit of a bum knee, but it’s held up find doing bodyweight squats.