T Nation

Should I be Worried at 25?

-age -25
-height - 5’11"
-waist - 34"
-weight - 180 lbs
-body/ facial hair - I have good facial, I would consider to have thin hair on my head. My arms and legs have a good amount of hair, and I have good pubic hair and little to no chest hair.
Also I noticed recently that I have a bald spot on my calves as if I had just shaved. Only on the back though.
-describe where you carry fat and how changed - I carry my fat in my stomach and butt, nothing has changed in terms of where I usually carry fat.
-health conditions, symptoms [history] - the only major health condition I have had was an undescended testicle, which was fixed when I was young
-Rx and OTC drugs, any hair loss drugs or prostate drugs ever - none
-lab results with ranges - these are all the results I currently have

October 2012

BUN - 17 mg/dl (7-20)
Sodium - 141 mmol/L (135-145)
Potassium - 4.2 mmol/L (3.5-5.3)
Chloride - 98 mmol/L (95-106)
Carbon Dioxide - 27 mmol/L (22-30)
Glucose 78 mg/dl (70-180)
Creatinine - 1.06 mg/dl (.66 - 1.25)
GFR >60 ml/min/1.73m2
calcium, total - 9.5 mg/dl (8.4-10.2)
anion gap central - 16 mmol/L (7-16)
testosterone - 275 ng/dl (132-813)

2/1/2013
testosterone - 367 ng/dl (waiting on results)
thyroid - 2.01 (.5-6.0)

-describe diet - doing a paleo lifestyle diet. hardly any processed food, plenty of protein vegetables and fruit.
-describe training - hasn’t been as intensive, used to be 4-5 days a week, but have lost a lot of motivation and it’s more like 2-3. Most of my training is crossfit wod’s
-testes ache, ever, with a fever? - nothing that I can think of, maybe once in a blue moon
-how have morning wood and nocturnal erections changed - don’t seem to get it as much and even my girlfriend is noticing my lack of interest in sex.

I had my blood sampled back in the Fall of 2012 because I was concerned with a lot of muscle cramps, at the time I didn’t think my testosterone was very low but have now started looking into it.

Just last week I went to see a doctor about it who assured me everything is perfectly normal. He ran another testosterone test at my request and also wanted to test my thyroid.

I am currently trying to find a new doctor because I don’t feel 100% maybe only 50%.

UPDATE:

Had some more blood work taken and here were the results

LH 1.8 1.2 - 7.8 mIU/ml
T4, FREE 0.9 0.8 - 2.2 ng/dl
T3, FREE 4.2 2.8 - 5.2 pg/ml
TSH, SENSITIVE 4.368 0.300 - 5.00 uIU/ml
FSH 2.4 1.6 - 9.7 mIU/ml
PROLACTIN 8.6 3.7 - 17.9 ng/ml
SEX HORM BIND GLOB 30 13 - 74 nmol/L
TESTOSTERONE, TOTAL 381 183 - 703 ng/dl
TESTOSTERONE, FREE 8.1 3.8 - 12.8 ng/dl
TESTOSTERONE, BIOAV. 191.0 89.0 - 300.0 ng/dl
ESTRADIOL 20 6 - 65 pg/ml

Thank you for reading the stickies. You do not have age related decline at your age, so this needs to be regarded as a symptom of something else.

Go back to the sticky and come back with temperature data and history of iodine intake. Also see sticky ‘thyroid basics’.

You need a proper male panel:
TT
FT
E2
LH/FSH
DHEA-S
TSH, fT3, fT4
cholesterol

• also useful
    – prolactin
    – SHBG

You are not normal, your body is telling you that. This may beyond your current doc.

What kind of fats do you eat?
Supplements?

Extreme diets, low fat, can wreck hormones, also over-training

Describe stress levels.

Be open to other problems as per the advice for new guys sticky.

Loss of hair below the knees is seen with longer term low T levels.

When do you think this problem first started? Any blows to the head or whiplash leading up to that?

Cramps can be from dehydration and/or low magnesium.

I will work on getting a full male panel. I have a clinic at work, I will ask what they can run.

As for the iodine intake since starting paleo I don’t feel I eat much with iodine in it. My multi vitamin has 150 ug

As for fats I cook most of my meat in coconut oil. Otherwise the rest would come from nuts and avocado. By no means would I consider my diet low fat.

As for supplements I take a daily multivitamin and fish oil.

Stress can be pretty high as I am working full time towards my second college degree, currently have taken a year off just to work though.

I don’t really have a firm grasp on when it started, feel like quite some time I have been indifferent about everything. Have little motivation and no energy. Supposed what I read as everything being foggy.

I don’t like the hair loss part.

For hydration I like to drink anywhere to half to my full body weight in ounces depending if I am working out.

One symptom of diabetes is drinking a lot of water and high urination amounts.

Body temperatures?

[quote]KSman wrote:
One symptom of diabetes is drinking a lot of water and high urination amounts.

Body temperatures?[/quote]

I don’t think I have diabetes, I have been making an effort to drink the correct amount of water and was told that if you aren’t working out you need to have half your bodies weight in ounces. Otherwise if you are working out it is closer to your body weight in ounces.

Temp is 97.3

97.3 is a concern, keep checking and also see if you can get to 98.6 in the mid afternoon.

TSH, SENSITIVE 4.368: is serious. Is your neck thick at your thyroid gland, asymmetric or lumpy? Doc checks it out?

fT4 is 0.9, should be near 1.5 [mid range], fT3 is good. But TSH is working the thyroid much too hard.

You can take in more iodine and see if temps improve and TSH goes down. Or test for thyroid anti-bodies. Doc will probably do nothing, you are not diseased enough yet.

updated some more blood work, still waiting on the E2.

The doctor checked my neck when I last saw him and said everything was normal.

I will up my intake of iodine and see if that helps. Thanks for all of the help.

Also wanted to update that my sex drive has seemed to become non existent. Scheduling an appointment for next week.