T Nation

Should I Be Worried About This Bloodwork?

I’m 27 years old, 6’3" and 200 pounds.

I’m worried about this change in my bloodwork compared to last year (in September). Here’s a comparison of last year to this year…

Total Test: From 706 to 598.7 (264 - 916)
Free Test: From 20.5 to 14.9 (9.3 - 26.5)
DHEA-S: From 149.7 to 140.7 (138.5 - 475.2)
Prolactin: 17.6 (High) (4-15.2)
E2: From 18.2 - 19.6

My diet has been mostly the same so I’m not sure what is going on. Only thing that’s different is that I’ve been studying for my graduate school entrance exam for the last several months, so my stress has probably been a little higher than normal.

I’d consider my libido levels to be somewhat mediocre… not terrible, but not great either. I wake up with morning wood somewhat infrequently (mostly when I’m holding a large piss). My energy levels are okay (again, not terrible but not great) and I drink 3-4 cups of coffee a day.

Should I reorder a blood test or get opinions from my endo? Is there any chance I could have a pituitary adenoma?

Don’t worry about anything until you get proper labs. Take in am after a good night sleep.
Get

TSH
Free t3
Free t4
Reverse t3 if u can
Total t
Free T
LH
FSH
Estradiol sensitive
Maybe try E1 estrone
SHBG
Prolactin
Cortisol
CBC
CMP
Lipid panel if u can

Hi Charlie,

I should have clarified, I did take those labs in the am with about 7-8 hours of sleep.

I also had most of those other things you listed in my lab report as well (I was just lazy to write it all). They were all within normal range. I can still post them if you’d like, but nothing looked out of the ordinary

Please post with ranges and other will start to comment.
Within range for hormones means nothing. We need to be at optimal levels.

Well there are lots of labs missing, you need at least run some thyroid labs, how many depends on your use of iodized salts and oral body temperatures. Thyroid require iodine, iodine deficiency can damage the thyroid gland, see thyroid sticky.

A simple glass thermometer measuring waking and afternoon body temperatures will be more informative than any blood test, Free T3 is the only active thyroid hormones and is directly linked to your body temperatures. Under 98.6 at 2pm and Free T3 isn’t normal.

No SHBG labs, this is the most important lab you could possible run, it’s intertwined with your Total and free T. We rely on Total T and SHBG to get a more accurate free T scores.

Ok here’s the full labs. Let me know if you can see the pictures

Thyroid isn’t optimal, TSH closer to 1.0 is optimal, Free T3 is below midrange, better midrange or better. Suggest you’re iodine deficiency and is the reason why Free T3 is below midrange, do you consume iodized salt? Check oral body temperatures per thyroid sticky, you need to reach 97.7 upon waking and 98.6 at 2pm and do both at full rest. Results will determine iodine deficiency.

Prolactin barely over ranges is nothing to worry about. I believe testosterone production is fine, however thyroid is not looking optimal. You’re in the normal ranges, not the optimal ranges. Doctors treat disease, they don’t optimize health and usually will not treat you until you fall below the normal ranges.

It’s perfectly normal for testosterone levels to fluctuate, getting more sleep one week, less sleep the next will decrease testosterone levels. Good sleep is required to keep up good levels. Sleep without your phones screens bluelight facing you, it disturbs sleep patterns. Poor sleep leads to depression, irritability.

Eating healthy and working out also affects testosterone. Is your studying affecting your sleep? Are you eating? Been there, done that.

Thank you a ton for the feedback! I do have iodide salt, but I haven’t been using it lately… I’ll be better about that now.

Is my high LDL anything to worry about by the way?

I always use my phone before I sleep (I usually watch asmr videos to help get me relaxed)

LDL will improve when you restore your vitality.

Thyroid is a major issue. The fact that the numbers are normal really reflects how bogus the ranges are.

Your testes are not working well. Higher prolactin can cause lower LH/FSH and that is not your problem.

Testes might work better with better thyroid function.

Prolactin levels can be increased by recent orgasm, hugging {babies, puppys, kittens} - avoid for a few days prior to lab work.

If not cooking mostly at home, iodized salt will not be enough.

Please read the stickies found here: About the T Replacement Category

• advice for new guys - need more info about you
  • things that damage your hormones
  • protocol for injections
  • finding a TRT doc

Evaluate your overall thyroid function by checking oral body temperatures as per the thyroid basics sticky. Thyroid hormone fT3 is what gets the job done and it regulates mitochondrial activity, the source of ATP which is the universal currency of cellular energy. This is part of the body’s temperature control loop. This can get messed up if you are iodine deficient. In many countries, you need to be using iodized salt. Other countries add iodine to dairy or bread.

KSman is simply a regular member on this site. Nothing more other than highly active.

I can be a bit abrupt in my replies and recommendations. I have a lot of ground to cover as this forum has become much more active in the last two years. I can’t follow threads that go deep over time. You need to respond to all of my points and requests as soon as possible before you fall off of my radar. The worse problems are guys who ignore issues re thyroid, body temperatures, history of iodized salt. Please do not piss people off saying that lab results are normal, we need lab number and ranges.

The value that you get out of this process and forum depends on your effort and performance. The bulk of your learning is reading/studying the suggested stickies.

Do any of you guys have a good recommendation for an oral thermometer? Most of the reviews on Amazon are mixed and seem to have inconsistent readings.

Find a basal thermometer designed for women to predict/detect ovulation. These read to two decimals.

I have been using this for a few years: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MFGHHK2

So I just took my temperature upon waking: 96.92

I also have some Iodoral coming today, so hopefully this works!

Update:

Temperature upon waking today was 97.39.

Is it normal for my temperature to jump up this fast? I’ve been taking in iodized salt for about a week now along with selenium; however, I’ve only begun taking Iodoral (half tablet, 6.5 mg, roughly 4000% daily value) as of yesterday. Or is my thermometer messed up? I took a couple of readings just to be sure…

Another thing I’m wondering about — I know that oral temperatures are “colder” than your “true” body temperature by about .5 degrees F. Does this mean I can assume the temperature was really around 97.8?

Thank you

We are looking for the oral numbers. Oral temperatures need that you be resting for a while indoors, not eating, talking or drinking for a while. Are you confused with arm pit temperatures VS oral?

We also need mid-afternoon body temperatures VS 98.6F/37C

KSman, no that is my morning oral temperature. The instructions say that a rectal temperature is more accurate, but I’m not going to do that

I forgot to do the afternoon reading today, but I’ll do that tomorrow

EDIT I just took my temperature at 4pm: 97.25

Would a 2pm reading be much different?

Alright I’m a little concerned… I’ve been on Iodoral for about a week now and started at a half tablet for a few days and then switched to a full tablet.

My temperature raised initially to 97.41 a few days ago (morning temperature), but now my temperature has gone down the last couple of days (from about 97.21 to 97.19).

There were a couple of forums I found via google and people were saying this is a common reaction in the beginning. So should I continue taking Iodoral or stop?

(PS I’ve been taking the necessary supporting supplements like selenium)