Should I Add Deadlifts?

My question is: Should I add deadlifts to Wednesdays.

Here’s my current routine:
Monday:
Squats
Power Cleans
Good Mornings
Calf Raises
Dumbell Press
Kickbacks
Weighted HyperExtensions
Weighted Situps

Tuesday:
Cardio

Wednesday:
Squat
Incline Dumbell Press
High Pulls
Sit-Ups
HyperExtensions

Thursday:
Cardio

Friday:
Squats
Power Cleans
Dumbell Press
Lying Tricep Extensions
Weighted Dips
Dumbell Curls
Weighted Sit-Ups
Weighted HyperExtensions

What do ya’ll think?

Thanks.

NO

Well that was emphatic. :slight_smile:

You don’t have any deadlifts at all. I’d say yes.

I say no. You are squatting 3X a week, power cleaning 2X and good morning already.

Power cleans and squats are great but they don’t replace the deadlift. If I was doing your routine I would replace squats with deadlifts on wednesday. The deads will help your posterior chain and balance your legs with a little more hamstring work. You’ll likely see your squat poundages rise as well. That’s IMHO.

[quote]
I say no. You are squatting 3X a week, power cleaning 2X and good morning already. [/quote]

[quote]Kruiser wrote:
Power cleans and squats are great but they don’t replace the deadlift. If I was doing your routine I would replace squats with deadlifts on wednesday. The deads will help your posterior chain and balance your legs with a little more hamstring work. You’ll likely see your squat poundages rise as well. That’s IMHO.[/quote]

I agree with the second statement because of the first. I’m not sure how you do your squat routines, but three a week could be too much if you’re doing the same thing each time. I’d do two squat routines (max effort and a dynamic or hypertrophy based routine) and swap squat for the deadlift on wednesday.

I’d also do the power cleans before the squats in your routine - they are a more technical exercise so you need to perform them when you and your CNS are at they’re most energetic ie as the first exercise.

Also get rid of the kickbacks - a pointless exercise. Read these 2 articles and pick another exercise.

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=224king2

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=body_61tris

Enjoy.

[quote]Kruiser wrote:
Power cleans and squats are great but they don’t replace the deadlift. If I was doing your routine I would replace squats with deadlifts on wednesday. The deads will help your posterior chain and balance your legs with a little more hamstring work. You’ll likely see your squat poundages rise as well. That’s IMHO.[/quote]

I agree with Kruiser. I would also ditch the kickbacks on Mondays. From the other exercises you’re doing, I assume you’re not a bodybuilder but just someone trying to gain strength and get in shape, so there is no point in doing kickbacks.

I don’t think the deadlifts are necessary after the work you’re already doing.

However, I would suggest working chin-ups into your routine. Maybe on Friday instead of lying triceps extensions and barbell curls. Just a suggestion…

Thanks for the advice, all. I think i’ll take Kruiser’s advice and replace squats on Wednesday’s with Deadlifts.

Thanks!

[quote]JokerFMJ wrote:
Thanks for the advice, all. I think i’ll take Kruiser’s advice and replace squats on Wednesday’s with Deadlifts.

Thanks![/quote]

I like that idea of replacing a squat day with a deadlift day too.

Along with Kruiser, Kroll, and Miserable@ssbeotch, I too like the idea of replacing a squat day with deadlifts … but, have you ACTUALLY done this program? I’m fatigued from just reading it … waaay too much stuff for this cat.

Dan

Yes, i’ve been on this program for about a month. It does wear me out, but i’m noticing some nice gains from it both in strength and my physique.

I still have a lot of work to do to get where I want to be, though. Although all told i’ve lost 7lbs and probably gained a few pounds of lean mass upping my fat loss to over 10lbs.

If you think this is too much, though, what do you suggest I cut out?

Anything I can do to better my program i’m all for.

Thanks!

I also want to thank ya’ll for letting me know kickbacks aren’t much good for me… I’m replacing them with lying tricep extensions.