T Nation

Should I Add a 'Light' Workout?

Previously, I was working out 3x a week and making progress on all my lifts. I then decided to go to 4x a week and I just find I can’t recover well and my progress has slowed. I decided to go back to 3x a week and see if things get better. I was also considering doing 3x a week, but adding a ‘light’ workout. Would there be any point of doing this? Wouldn’t it just add to my fatigue without really adding to my muscle development. If you think the addition of a light workout is a good idea then please suggest something. Thanks!

Hmm I guess it depends on what your goals are, I am in a similar situation to you.
I personally do isometrics, some sprinting/jogging or just some bodyweight work on one of my days off of the weights.

I’ll leave the veterans to answer you here though I’m not sure how much rest is needed to prevent fatigue.
By the way do you take a week off to let your body for the non technical term “catch up” every 4-6 weeks?

[quote]Digity wrote:
Previously, I was working out 3x a week and making progress on all my lifts. I then decided to go to 4x a week and I just find I can’t recover well and my progress has slowed. I decided to go back to 3x a week and see if things get better. I was also considering doing 3x a week, but adding a ‘light’ workout. Would there be any point of doing this? Wouldn’t it just add to my fatigue without really adding to my muscle development. If you think the addition of a light workout is a good idea then please suggest something. Thanks![/quote]

3x/week = good progress
4x/week = no progress

You ask if a 4th workout with light weights is a good idea; what do you want this workout to accomplish?

I was specifically thinking of a ‘light weightlifting’ workout. I’ve added cardio previously without any problems.

http://www.T-Nation.com/article/bodybuilding/first_person_christian_thibaudeau&cr=

I got the idea from here where CT has easy/med/hard days (see above link). I’m curious if adding an easy day would be of any benefit to me.

[quote]Digity wrote:
http://www.T-Nation.com/article/bodybuilding/first_person_christian_thibaudeau&cr=

I got the idea from here where CT has easy/med/hard days (see above link). I’m curious if adding an easy day would be of any benefit to me.

[/quote]

I think you’ve got it in the wrong order. You seem to be thinking “here’s an idea: I wonder if it can be used of any use”.

Instead, I like to think in terms of “here’s my goal, I wonder what I can do to help me get there.”

On top of that, I don’t know your body, your lifestyle, or your diet. If you weren’t making progress on 4x/week, I don’t know if it’s because you weren’t eating enough (but your body could have handled it with better nutrition), or your body doesn’t have the natural capacity to recover that fast. I don’t know what your workouts consist of, so even if I did know your diet, lifestyle, and recovery ability, I wouldn’t be able to comment. Most of all, though, I don’t know what you are trying to achieve, and how a 4th light workout would fit into it.

Goal is to add mass.

[quote]Digity wrote:
Goal is to add mass.[/quote]

How do you see a light workout helping with this?

Stick to your 3X a week, if you start to go more than that your results will slow down because your body won’t be able to rest.

Post your workout in full and what you propose to add

Aleksandr is correct to ask you to quantify the light workout day - I think most lifters should have an idea of why they are doing ‘x’ workout and how it will help them towards they’re goals

[quote]RayJay wrote:
Post your workout in full and what you propose to add

Aleksandr is correct to ask you to quantify the light workout day - I think most lifters should have an idea of why they are doing ‘x’ workout and how it will help them towards they’re goals
[/quote]

Exactly. I’m not just trying to be a jerk. I think it’s important that you start thinking about what you want, and how what you do helps or hinders you in reaching this goal.

I was trying to construct my own workout, but I’ve decided against it now. I’ve now decided to do WS4SB III, but replace max lifts with just regular lifts.