Should Humans Drink Milk?

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]punnyguy wrote:
Can someone please explain to me the material difference between drinking milk vs. using whey (or casein) protein?[/quote]

They have different macronutrient make ups…

How about you do this.

Mix your shakes with milk.[/quote]

Whey and casein protein is manufactured from milk. I thought the “new” thinking in nutrition is that the whole food is always better than the sum of it’s parts?

Why can’t you mix a shake with milk? It’s a liquid, just like water. I’m stupid, I have no idea what you’re trying to say.

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:
If you put little bowls of milk out in the wild and went back ad checked on them, guess what you’d find… you’d find that you’d have to refill the bowls or the animals would turn on you and say, “Give me some more f*&^ng milk, cause that shit is delicious.”

So should we drink milk? People vary as much as does the quality of the milk. Some people do fine with grocery store junk milk and others do not. Sadly this commercially available milk is nearly the only milk which 98% of Americans know about… bla bla blahbidy blah blah, and I say sadly because pasteurization destroys many of the good for you components of milk, including lactase which helps digest milk. Organic, raw, unpasteurized milk gives most people no ill effects (including no upset stomach) and actually has a curative effect for many diseases such as asthma, which is actually worsened by commercial “regular” milk. Also for what it’s worth, I think it’s completely stupid to say that “humans are the only species that drinks milk.” That’s because we have hands, brains, tools, production techniques etc.[/quote]

AMEN brother…cracks me up when people pull the species arguement…I’m with you and Prof X on this one…

[quote]punnyguy wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]punnyguy wrote:
Can someone please explain to me the material difference between drinking milk vs. using whey (or casein) protein?[/quote]

How about you do this.

Whey and casein protein is manufactured from milk. I thought the “new” thinking in nutrition is that the whole food is always better than the sum of it’s parts?

Why can’t you mix a shake with milk? It’s a liquid, just like water. I’m stupid, I have no idea what you’re trying to say.[/quote]

Yeah sticking to whole foods in general will yield better results.

What I’m saying here is when you drink milk you’re consuming protein, fats and carbs, while a protein powder your basically just taking in protein.

130 calories worth of whey protein powder is 24g protein, 1.5g fat and 4g carbs

130 calories worth of 2% milk is 9g protein, 5.3g fat and 12.6g carbs

Milk and whey are both good bulking products. Instead of favouring one over the other, why not use both? That’s why I suggested you mix your whey shakes with milk.

Should humans drink milk?

Well, I believe that at one point the majority of our species was intolerant past a very young age. It was actually a mutation that allowed the “non baby” human drink milk. Fast forward and here we are, most of our species can handle milk pretty well, even in adulthood. So logically speaking, there must have been a time where the ability to drink milk was the sole reason for one person’s survival over another. Don’t quote me on this though.

This and personal experience gives me the unified answer that yes, humans should drink milk. Thanks to milk, I no longer look like the token “six pack pencil arms” douche. Now I look like the douche that “may actually work out”.

Love it and dairy in general. I love it organic some with Lactase mixed in already. All the benefits, no endless farts at night.

Other dairy I eat copiously: cottage cheese, quark cheese and greek yogurt. Honestly, some of the best-tasting, easiest sources of protein out there. Certainly a break from the endless tuna.

And since someone mentioned eggs, I eat 2-6 per day :slight_smile:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]punnyguy wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]punnyguy wrote:

How about you do this.

Why can’t you mix a shake with milk? It’s a liquid, just like water. I’m stupid, I have no idea what you’re trying to say.[/quote]

Yeah sticking to whole foods in general will yield better results.

What I’m saying here is when you drink milk you’re consuming protein, fats and carbs, while a protein powder your basically just taking in protein.

130 calories worth of whey protein powder is 24g protein, 1.5g fat and 4g carbs

130 calories worth of 2% milk is 9g protein, 5.3g fat and 12.6g carbs

Milk and whey are both good bulking products. Instead of favouring one over the other, why not use both? That’s why I suggested you mix your whey shakes with milk.[/quote]

Thanks for the response, I am in total agreement with your perspective.

My puzzlement occurs when someone who uses whey/casein protein powder paints milk as “bad” for reasons that (seemingly) have nothing to do with the nutrition profiles. This thread caught my eye so I thought I’d ask.

If you put little bowls of milk out in the wild and went back ad checked on them, guess what you’d find… you’d find that you’d have to refill the bowls or the animals would turn on you and say, “Give me some more f*&^ng milk, cause that shit is delicious.”
[/quote]

HA! Li love this part.

It’s a good answer when people say “Do you see any animals other than humans drink another animal’s milk?” Well I’m sure they would if they were given the chance!

I have a dog that eats his own shit.

Ergo, I have concluded it is healthful for me to consume my own shit.

Logic FTW!

I’m sorry but I think you may have used the FemLogic version of logic there. Please use the male one. The female one never works right and just goes in circles constantly supporting itself with no outside support.

Let’s use FemLogic here shall we?

1. My dog sometimes eats shit.
  2. My dog will at other rimes eat steak.
  3. FemLogic Analysis: Steak is like shit.

If you are a hard-gainer, or one of those people that just assume they are a hard-gainer, it is extremely easy to drink milk at every meal (assuming you are not lactose intolerant. Then it might be difficult) for added calories. Is it necessary? No. Is it “optimal”? probably not, according to some people who are way more knowledgeable about nutrition then me. But it freaking works if you are having a hard time ingesting enough calories. It is definitely not a “must”, but if you want to get more calories in without getting a full feeling then it’s very helpful. It worked for me when I wanted more calories. Drinking a full glass of milk instead of water at every meal can easily add 500 calories a day. If your feeling really crazy make a protein shake with milk.

And for people that say “we’re the only species that drinks milk as adults”; so what? as someone else mentioned earlier we’re the only species that does a lot of things, doesn’t mean we should stop doing those either. I like driving way to much to give it up just because my dog doesn’t compete in NASCAR.

[quote]Nards wrote:
I’m sorry but I think you may have used the FemLogic version of logic there. Please use the male one. The female one never works right and just goes in circles constantly supporting itself with no outside support.

Let’s use FemLogic here shall we?

2. My dog will at other rimes eat steak.
  3. FemLogic Analysis: Steak is like shit.[/quote]

More like:

2. My dog will eat pretty much anything, or at least attempt such.
  3. FemLogic Analysis: But he’s sooooooo cuuuuuute!!!

I much prefer:

1. My dog eats shit at every available opportunity.
  2. My dog is a fucking moron.
  3. Wash hands after touching dog. Do not base dietary habits on the dietary habits of animals, wild or domesticated.
  4. ???
  5. Profit.

Raw Milk = food of the gods

Pausteurized Organic Milk = it’s alright…

Pausteurized Non-organic Milk ( The milk you find EVERYWHERE ) = Shit shit shit.

This sums it up.

I only wish I knew this a few years before.

[/quote]

Put little bowls of antifreeze out in the wild and you’ll see the same results. Except the same animals won’t be coming back for more.

:wink:

[quote]DeltaOne wrote:

Pausteurized Non-organic Milk ( The milk you find EVERYWHERE ) = Shit shit shit.

This sums it up.

I only wish I knew this a few years before.[/quote]

Ok let’s get some stuff cleared up.

Organic anything is rubish seriously not joking. I will come back later to explain why in as much depth and detail as you wish.

Raw milk well as my lecturer said “I wouldn’t drink it”

Normal pasteurised is fine

Free range pasteurised is slightly better then normal.

Should you drink milk? Why not if your not lactose intolerant.

I go out of my way to not eat organic food if I can help it, because it’s stupid. I know this isn’t going to be popular with people but it’s science. Faith is the denial of evidence so that faith can be maintained. Science changes with evendence. If raw milk was proven to be better then other kinds then real nutritionists would say so.

[quote]TomKaminski wrote:

[quote]DeltaOne wrote:

This sums it up.

I only wish I knew this a few years before.[/quote]

Ok let’s get some stuff cleared up.

Organic anything is rubish seriously not joking. I will come back later to explain why in as much depth and detail as you wish.

Raw milk well as my lecturer said “I wouldn’t drink it”

Normal pasteurised is fine

Free range pasteurised is slightly better then normal.

Should you drink milk? Why not if your not lactose intolerant.

I go out of my way to not eat organic food if I can help it, because it’s stupid. I know this isn’t going to be popular with people but it’s science. Faith is the denial of evidence so that faith can be maintained. Science changes with evendence. If raw milk was proven to be better then other kinds then real nutritionists would say so.[/quote]

I was wondering when organic was going to become too mainstream for the hipsters…

And some advice for you, should you choose to stay and say act how I assume you shall. Get some e-lube now or don’t complain about the butthurt you WILL experience.

edit

When you say ‘let’s clear some stuff up’ it’s polite to actually attempt to clear things up. Clown

I’m sorry I tend to come off as abrasive on forums so let’s keep this civilised and I’ll try and write in a way that won’t be as offenceive.

So I’ll tell you a little bit about my self. I’m currently studying BSc nutrition under the medical school at Kings Colledge London which is the number one course in nutrition in England. It is such a renound course because you are taught by the actual research scientist. Such as professor Peter Emery if you care to check my statements. I would like to add for clarification that I have not graduated so am not yet recognised but my understanding is still high and if there are things that I do not understand then I have acess to resources to awnser them.

I am a Powelifter and hold 5 British junior ecords. Although the lifts that I have registered are not my best lifts due to many reasons.

Also I am dyslectic so my spelling and sometimes sentence structuring is poor and I apologies for that in advance.

So raw milk:

Arguments for I believe are along the lines of the pasteurisation destroys beneficial bacteria, enzymes and denatures some of the proteins.

Yet the pasteurisation of milk makes the milk safe to drink due to it destroying the pathogenic organisms in the milk. Although that is not to say that all raw milk will make you ill but it is a possibility. People will argue that you should only drink raw milk if you know the cow that it came from. This is all fine but you will not know for sure if the cow is deseased or not unless you lock it in a strike room and test it daily. So now that we have established that there is always a possibility to ingest pathogenic organisms.

So there may be protein degradation so a simple solution is drink slightly more pasturised milk rather then less raw milk for the same yeld of macro nutrients.

So at the moment the risk to benefit isn’t worth it. I’ll continue tomorrow with the enzyme and bacterial side of the argument. If you disagree with anything I have said so far then comment and we can discuss it.

Oh and why in a scientifically organic food is stupid and has always been.

Thanks for giving me the time to read what I have to say.

That is some stupid shit right there… ^^^

[quote]TomKaminski wrote:
So raw milk:

Arguments for I believe are along the lines of the pasteurisation destroys beneficial bacteria, enzymes and denatures some of the proteins.

Yet the pasteurisation of milk makes the milk safe to drink due to it destroying the pathogenic organisms in the milk. Although that is not to say that all raw milk will make you ill but it is a possibility. People will argue that you should only drink raw milk if you know the cow that it came from. This is all fine but you will not know for sure if the cow is deseased or not unless you lock it in a strike room and test it daily. So now that we have established that there is always a possibility to ingest pathogenic organisms.

So there may be protein degradation so a simple solution is drink slightly more pasturised milk rather then less raw milk for the same yeld of macro nutrients.

So at the moment the risk to benefit isn’t worth it. I’ll continue tomorrow with the enzyme and bacterial side of the argument. If you disagree with anything I have said so far then comment and we can discuss it.

Oh and why in a scientifically organic food is stupid and has always been.

Thanks for giving me the time to read what I have to say.[/quote]

So, your argument is that raw milk possibly contains pathogens that may make you sick.

Last time I checked, that was all food ever.

Also, organic is bad because ‘in a scientifically organic food is stupid and has always been’.

Maybe if you didn’t pathologically avoid organic foods, you brain woodln’t be so borken.

Then again, maybe not.