T Nation

Should Gays Raise Kids?

http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/september2007/170907_middle_class.htm

"An ugly tug of war is raging over the fate of a 6-year-old boy being raised by a gay couple who won custody of the child in a landmark decision in 2000.
Gays hailed the ruling as a major victory for same-sex couples, but the boy has since become a troubled kid who punches his teachers and repeatedly says he wants to kill himself, according to an expert’s report requested by his school.

The report has spurred the mother to fight for increased access to her son, who has lived with the two men since the ruling - the first time a New York court awarded custody to a gay couple over a woman they claimed to be a surrogate."

An old story, but worthwhile of discussion, IMHO.

The link you included is about oil, btw.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/september2007/170907_middle_class.htm

"An ugly tug of war is raging over the fate of a 6-year-old boy being raised by a gay couple who won custody of the child in a landmark decision in 2000.
Gays hailed the ruling as a major victory for same-sex couples, but the boy has since become a troubled kid who punches his teachers and repeatedly says he wants to kill himself, according to an expert’s report requested by his school.

The report has spurred the mother to fight for increased access to her son, who has lived with the two men since the ruling - the first time a New York court awarded custody to a gay couple over a woman they claimed to be a surrogate."

An old story, but worthwhile of discussion, IMHO.

[/quote]

I’ve absolutely no interest in what the media has to say about it (or most things, for that matter), particularly when they are looking at one anecdote and attempting to generalize from there. Are there any peer reviewed studies on the subject? If so, what have they found?

I imagine you fancy yourself an expert on child development, since you’ve been a teacher for so long. I would expect a more scientific study of the topic from you.

I don’t think most people qualify as good parents regardless of their sexual preference. I know plenty of straight couples that have no fucking business attempting to raise children, my parents included.

How much a piece of shit must the mom be for custody to be awarded to a gay male couple?

Because obviously the fact that the child is in the middle of a bitter custody battle has absolutely nothing to do with him punching people and misbehaving.

Certainly every problem is to blame on “teh gayz”.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
I don’t think most people qualify as good parents regardless of their sexual preference. I know plenty of straight couples that have no fucking business attempting to raise children, my parents included.[/quote]

I agree. I know single moms that pop out kids every 5 years so they can stay on social assistance. In some fucked up manner they love their kids. But mostly its an income.

If this kid has issues he needs to see a shrink. It could be anything buggen the kid. Just cause his parents are gay doesn’t mean anything. Unless there is abuse to the kid I see no reason to let the Mom get back her access rights.

[quote]Contrl wrote:
Because obviously the fact that the child is in the middle of a bitter custody battle has absolutely nothing to do with him punching people and misbehaving.

Certainly every problem is to blame on “teh gayz”.[/quote]

Agreed. Also, like A-k wrote, there are WAY more hetero couples who shouldn’t be raising kids so I don’t see how sexuality plays a role here. Most kids who experience a divorce blame themselves in some way. I also wouldn’t take what a 6 year old says as a concrete statement. How many six year olds have ever committed suicide?

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
I don’t think most people qualify as good parents regardless of their sexual preference. I know plenty of straight couples that have no fucking business attempting to raise children, my parents included.[/quote]

I’ll second that but without including my parents. The problem is that the crack smoking dumb ignorant poor pieces of trash tend to get pregnant at 15 and have three kids by the time they are 22. Wouldn’t you know it their kids turn out to be crack smoking dumb ignorant poor pieces of trash too.

definately not. should mentally retarded people be allowed to adopt children too?

[quote]joburnet wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
I don’t think most people qualify as good parents regardless of their sexual preference. I know plenty of straight couples that have no fucking business attempting to raise children, my parents included.

I’ll second that but without including my parents. The problem is that the crack smoking dumb ignorant poor pieces of trash tend to get pregnant at 15 and have three kids by the time they are 22. Wouldn’t you know it their kids turn out to be crack smoking dumb ignorant poor pieces of trash too.[/quote]

No one would write an article about those kids even if they told someone they would kill themselves at 6 years of age.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
definately not. should mentally retarded people be allowed to adopt children too?[/quote]

I bet more people than we realize are borderline retarded.

I personally was SHOCKED when I learned that Peter from family Guy was just under the line of retardation…and he got to keep his kids.

Prevention, people. Prevention.

100% yes. There is a gay man here who raised a son and a daughter. The son does well with all the ladies and his daughter is smoking hot.

Hey, he helped them dress well and stay in shape, all good in my book.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
definately not. should mentally retarded people be allowed to adopt children too?

I bet more people than we realize are borderline retarded.

I personally was SHOCKED when I learned that Peter from family Guy was just under the line of retardation…and he got to keep his kids. [/quote]

gays raising kids doesnt make sense to me. im all for peoples rights but why compromise the rights of children for the rights of gays…people who CHOOSE not to have children. yes there are plenty of people who are not fit for raising kids, ill totally agree and thats why we have DSS. the difference is that these parents actually created their children. if you make the personal choice to not have children via being with your own sex then why the hell should you be allowed to raise them?

if you make the personal choice to not have children via being with your own sex then why the hell should you be allowed to raise them? [/quote]

What if a hetero couple chooses to not have kids of their own? this does happen. Maybe they are more focused on career or maybe one is incapable of producing a child. There are many people who make a choice to not have kids of their own but who still want to adopt. Do you feel the same about them?

Probably getting beat up and harrassed for being the “kid with two dads” isnt the best thing for a kid. He’d grow up to be an asshole either way.
There are probably more straight couples that shouldnt be raising kids than gay people kids or no. Or maybe i live a sheltered life.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
if you make the personal choice to not have children via being with your own sex then why the hell should you be allowed to raise them?

What if a hetero couple chooses to not have kids of their own? this does happen. Maybe they are more focused on career or maybe one is incapable of producing a child. There are many people who make a choice to not have kids of their own but who still want to adopt. Do you feel the same about them?[/quote]

difference is gays have the ability to reproduce and consciously forfeit that ability by chooising to be with a member of the same sex. now if a heterosexual couple cant physically concieve a baby and choose to adopt im content with that since they atleast want to and are of opposite sexes.

as for the career focus scenario i dont understand. if youre to focused with your career to raise a child why adopt one? or are you talking about the women in which case i think thats a pretty selfish thing to do and if i was the man in that scenario id tell her to fuck herself and go get someone else pregnant. its a human instinct to want to reproduce. there is no logical sense in being gay and still wanting to raise children. and i suppose ill pit myself against a question (cause it just popped into my head as i was typing this)…what if a man has children divorces his wife and turns gay? this scenario is pretty difficult i think and one way i see it as the children should be able to choose if old enough and if not then perhaps they should be awarded custody to the mother if shes in proper finacial stability (which she probaly will be seeing as she raped her ex-husband for everything) or let the kids stay with the father and let them decide later if they want to stay or move, i mean it is the childrens father after all and if he created the child it is still his responsibility.

Professor X wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
if you make the personal choice to not have children via being with your own sex then why the hell should you be allowed to raise them?

What if a hetero couple chooses to not have kids of their own? this does happen. Maybe they are more focused on career or maybe one is incapable of producing a child. There are many people who make a choice to not have kids of their own but who still want to adopt. Do you feel the same about them?

difference is gays have the ability to reproduce and consciously forfeit that ability by chooising to be with a member of the same sex. now if a heterosexual couple cant physically concieve a baby and choose to adopt im content with that since they atleast want to and are of opposite sexes.

as for the career focus scenario i dont understand. if youre to focused with your career to raise a child why adopt one? or are you talking about the women in which case i think thats a pretty selfish thing to do and if i was the man in that scenario id tell her to fuck herself and go get someone else pregnant. its a human instinct to want to reproduce. there is no logical sense in being gay and still wanting to raise children. and i suppose ill pit myself against a question (cause it just popped into my head as i was typing this)…what if a man has children divorces his wife and turns gay? this scenario is pretty difficult i think and one way i see it as the children should be able to choose if old enough and if not then perhaps they should be awarded custody to the mother if shes in proper finacial stability (which she probaly will be seeing as she raped her ex-husband for everything) or let the kids stay with the father and let them decide later if they want to stay or move, i mean it is the childrens father after all and if he created the child it is still his responsibility.[/quote]

Well I guess according you it is ok then if two women simply buy the sperm and have an artificial insemination.

After all the do not decide against having children.

maybe lesbians should farm themselves into breeding kids with gay men. maybe gay men should just date lesbians anyway since lesbians try to act like men and gay men try to act like women.

and how do you figure that they choose not to have kids? are you fucking kidding me? no, if youre gay you cant have kids you choose not to reproduce because guys dont have a uterus and assholes arent vaginas. vaginas arent penises either. if youre going to go out and canive all these ways you can bend rules to be gay and still raise a child youre just a whiny twat. waaaaaahhh waaaaaah i have a chemical imbalance that makes me attracted to my own gender waaaaah. theres nothing wrong with gay people? if the whole world was gay people would cease to exist. the only possibility is if people were cloned from homo-chromosones. its like a bad sci-fi movie or something.