Should ART Hurt?

I have gotten a few treatments and they never seem to get in deep enough. How deep does your ART provider go into your muscles? I barely ever feel anything, and these are instructors.

You sound like my wife.

The guy I go to doesn’t really hurt either. There is a common misbelief that deep tissue work requires extreme force to get into muscle. Using a lot of force actually triggers defense mechanisms that prevent deep tissue work.

Have you talked to your terapist about your concerns?

I have been getting ART for shoulder impingement from the only guy who is a qualified instructor in my state and it does not hurt much at all. I told him he can go as hard as he wants on my shoulder and he said he was. I’ve been going to this guy for about 5 weeks, still have shoulder impingement in my left shoulder (diagnosed by MRI) and feel the same symptoms in my right shoulder. I do not believe in ART from my experience.

Sometimes art does hurt.

It’s going to hurt at times, from WTF to mildly burning. When you’re doing better and looking for a tune up, it might just be a tight feeling.

In my experience many people don’t get enough tension. I don’t always use the correct tension because often times people cannot tolerate it.

As for instructors, some are great some are okay at best. It’s an individual skill based therapy.

Another point, the amount of necessary tension to treat is often very hard on the practitioner. I’ve had to judge how much to use because I’d end up damaging my hands and wrists.

I can close a #2 gripper and deadlift a little under 600 (570) at my last max effort try. I don’t see how a small gal or not strong man could consistently bring the necessary tension for a quick fix. Also, people often need a lot of care area wise to properly fix something. a provider often just can’t do that much in one session due to time constraints and physical limits.

It’s tough therapy to do right for the provider.

Hell, lots of people suffer for their art. Look at what happened to Van Gogh. Wait, what were we talking about?

I had a real injury in my left bicep and that HURT when worked on,

I also had my hamstrings worked on due to tightness and this wasn’t bad.

As I went and the treatments helped my bicep it hurt less and less.

Basically I think the more damage to the area being treated the more painful it will be.

It’s probably an individual thing based on how deeply muscled you are, and the area and severity of the problem. I’ve had my shoulder and forearm worked on, the forearm didn’t hurt much, but the shoulder hurt like hell. Worked like a charm though, so I won’t complain.

S

I feel that 98% of providers suck, Ive actually been to more over the last five years. Ive been to TWO amazing providers that were truly gifted.

These guys seem like the jus tdont understand how everything ties in.

FOr instance my back is fucked right now.

Ok ART on lower back, which he had me strattle the bench and just bend forward as I stretch and using the adjustable up and down chair.

use three or four positions for the lower back THese guys get stuck on one area and neglect the other areas of things.

I feel I need my hips opened up, rotators, psoas, to get my pelvis to relax it tilted forward right now. I ask them to get in my lower back a bit deeper and they just dig in my spine missing my muscle.

I just remember Poliquin saying I only will send MY athletes to 6 guys in the nation cause they all SUCK. It should be extremely painful.

Yes, it should hurt.

[quote]MISCONCEPTION wrote:
I feel that 98% of providers suck, Ive actually been to more over the last five years. Ive been to TWO amazing providers that were truly gifted.

These guys seem like the jus tdont understand how everything ties in.

FOr instance my back is fucked right now.

Ok ART on lower back, which he had me strattle the bench and just bend forward as I stretch and using the adjustable up and down chair.

use three or four positions for the lower back THese guys get stuck on one area and neglect the other areas of things.

I feel I need my hips opened up, rotators, psoas, to get my pelvis to relax it tilted forward right now. I ask them to get in my lower back a bit deeper and they just dig in my spine missing my muscle.

I just remember Poliquin saying I only will send MY athletes to 6 guys in the nation cause they all SUCK. It should be extremely painful.[/quote]

A lot of guys don’t think Poliquin’s all that great at it either. some instructors who I trust think he’s a little to heavy and not that great at treating. For instance, you shopuldn’t really bruise people while you treat them, which supposedly he does a lot or did a lot.

When you say “hurt,” you shouldn’t expect it to hurt as in HOLY-FUCKING-SHIT!!! screaming-in-agony hurt. But it should usually give you a good digging/burning feeling, so some discomfort should be there, yes. The degree can vary from one bodypart or movement, or severity of adhesion, to the next.

My ART guy (who is an instructor, and a big guy) often doesn’t go deep enough and I’ll have to tell him to stop going so light on my, you little pussy, because he’s barely effecting anything below the skin. I think that might largely be, as someone said earlier, because their hands and digits must just get really tired and sore from doing that all day. (And I would typically see him towards the end of the day).

So it can’t hurt to make a point of saying “Don’t go easy on me! Just go for it!” if you feel no discomfort at all and think he should go deeper.

[quote]Damici wrote:
When you say “hurt,” you shouldn’t expect it to hurt as in HOLY-FUCKING-SHIT!!! screaming-in-agony hurt. But it should usually give you a good digging/burning feeling, so some discomfort should be there, yes. The degree can vary from one bodypart or movement, or severity of adhesion, to the next.

My ART guy (who is an instructor, and a big guy) often doesn’t go deep enough and I’ll have to tell him to stop going so light on my, you little pussy, because he’s barely effecting anything below the skin. I think that might largely be, as someone said earlier, because their hands and digits must just get really tired and sore from doing that all day. (And I would typically see him towards the end of the day).

So it can’t hurt to make a point of saying “Don’t go easy on me! Just go for it!” if you feel no discomfort at all and think he should go deeper.[/quote]

Could be true, many people can’t take it and say that hurts to bad. They want to get better slowly or just feel a little better for a period of time. If you want and need it harder, just say so. Also be respectful to his time. Every provider can’t spend hours on one patient and take care of everything at once. It will jsut beat the crap out of the provider.

Avoid women providers unless you know they can get it done. Most don’t have the hand strength. A few have tried to treat me and have gotten very frustrated when I told them they were not getting enough tension. As for instructors, they all differ in ability.

Some might be great on regular folk but a little to light for us bigger guys.

IMO ART SUCKS, it just does there is to wide a variance of quality providers. I have better methods for opening muscles.

Acupuncture with large needles, and release techniques give me deeper better results, follow that with a deep tissue and it blows ART out of the WATER.

IMO ART SUCKS, it just does there is to wide a variance of quality providers. I have better methods for opening muscles.

Acupuncture with large needles, and release techniques give me deeper better results, follow that with a deep tissue and it blows ART out of the WATER.[/quote]

Wrong, you are confusing provider skill with various methods. It’s all int he provider. I’ve received many varieties of soft tissue work, and ART done well was at the top of the list. the difference was the specificity.

It is well marketed however and many people who take it just don’t bring it. But this is common with much soft tissue work. It’s all provider skill.

As for the instructor part, I don’t a lot of stock in the instructor tag. All that means is that you demonstrated the protocols well and have taken the test. I thought about being an instructor, but didn’t see the point.

Again, many providers do not have what it takes to deal with a muscular individual. Some of us do and do it well. There’s nothing wrong with the technique, and if you get crappy acupuncture and crappy deep tissue massage the same result will occur.

How many forms of massage/soft tissue work are there?

ART
Deep Tissue
What else?

It would be nice to have them all listed/described in one place.

Nothing compares to a tennis ball for me. It allows you to get so deep and precise on those trigger points. And it hurts like hell.

[/quote]

I hope you are giving these guys more than one session to work with you before you storm out the door proclaiming “he sucks!”