Should a 13 Year Old Train with Weights?

My 13 year old brother wants to start strength training with me. I have read before that this may not be such a good idea as training with weights at such an age can impede normal growth and development. I don’t know if this is true or a myth.

I am inclined to encourage him to stick with playing sports for the time being and maybe introduce him to some body-weight exercises such as pull-ups and press-ups. I would be interested to hear your opinions on the best types of exercise for people in this age category, particularly from any physical education teachers or anyone else who is involved with training young people.

Thanks for your help.

No, it will not stunt your growth…

use the search function as this has been discussed plenty of times before. The consensus is go for it, it will only help him (make sure he eats a lot) and that its safer then playing soccer in terms of injuries he will likely sustain, just make sure he learns good proper form…

x2 search
x2 proper form

well put rachet.

x3 proper form
x4 proper form
x5 proper form

Body weight exercises are a good start, just to help him get proper form down. However, they should be just that, a start. There’s no reason that a 13 year can’t lift weights, as long as there’s an experienced lift there to make sure that he’s using proper form.

He’s much more likely to be injured playing soccer or football then he is lifting weights properly. Give him a couple weeks with bodyweight exercises, work on mobility and teach him how to warm up properly, and then let him lift. Spot him, make sure he’s using proper form, and he should be fine.

Should be fine look up Richard Sandrak, he started way earlier then the age of 13.

Good advice from the previous posters, Definitely encourage him to lift. I have a 13-year-old son who is just starting to lift, too and making nice progress.

I started him out with bodyweight exercises, pullups, dips, pushups, etc.

And proper form, as others have stated is essential. Make sure you check his ego… he doesn’t need to be pushing heavy-ass weights, get his form down solid and he’ll be well on his way.

And hopefully, he doesn’t eat like the average 13-year-old, full of soda and sugar.
Good luck!

[quote]Ashes wrote:
My 13 year old brother wants to start strength training with me. I have read before that this may not be such a good idea as training with weights at such an age can impede normal growth and development. I don’t know if this is true or a myth.[/quote]
Mostly a myth. Smart training, which centers around compound free weight exercises and avoids muscular failure, is absolutely fine. However, I still recommend beginning with a basic bodyweight-only plan to introduce the kiddo to consistent training.

My standard recommendation follows. Once this routine is “easy,” progress to a free-weight routine.

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday
Squat 2x13 (No weight, keep both feet flat on the floor.)

Push-up 2x13 (On your toes, go until the chest almost touches the floor.)

Lunge 2x13 (Alternate legs, 1 rep left/1 rep right.)

Chin-up 2x13 (Assisted, if needed)

Plank 2x15-count (Hold the top part of a push-up, on the toes/arms straight, keep the whole body straight. Count to 15.)

Burpee/squat thrust 2x13

Ha, check and check buddy. :wink:

[quote]BruceLeeFan wrote:
Should be fine look up Richard Sandrak, he started way earlier then the age of 13.[/quote]
And the award for “Worst Example of Weight Training Being Beneficial to Children” goes to… … … BruceLeeFan!!

Thanks guys, looks like great advice, I’ll follow it. And thanks for the detailed plan Chris, I’ll start him out on your programme.

He’s a fit and strong lad but has never really got into the usual team sports like football and rugby that his mates play so this will be a great way for him to stay healthy and active.

Cheers

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
Ashes wrote:
My 13 year old brother wants to start strength training with me. I have read before that this may not be such a good idea as training with weights at such an age can impede normal growth and development. I don’t know if this is true or a myth.
Mostly a myth. Smart training, which centers around compound free weight exercises and avoids muscular failure, is absolutely fine. However, I still recommend beginning with a basic bodyweight-only plan to introduce the kiddo to consistent training.

My standard recommendation follows. Once this routine is “easy,” progress to a free-weight routine.

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday
Squat 2x13 (No weight, keep both feet flat on the floor.)

Push-up 2x13 (On your toes, go until the chest almost touches the floor.)

Lunge 2x13 (Alternate legs, 1 rep left/1 rep right.)

Chin-up 2x13 (Assisted, if needed)

Plank 2x15-count (Hold the top part of a push-up, on the toes/arms straight, keep the whole body straight. Count to 15.)

Burpee/squat thrust 2x13

[/quote]

Great advice, Chris. I’m gonna steal your program for my kid. Thanks!

Keep him motivated also, thats tough with younger people. THey are not as mature, so make sure he is serious about it.