Should 10-Year-Olds Get Tattoos?

Bear in mind it was illegal for anyone to get or give tattoos in Oklahoma until recently. The acceptance of tattooing has come a long way in the past decade or so.

That said, 10 seems awfully young, especially that large of a tat. As others have said, it runs the risk of deforming as he grows.

Tats won’t stretch like that so that isn’t an issue is it?

Haven’t we already had lots of threads about this?

I got inked at 16 first and my arm has gotten a lot bigger over the past 6 years…still looks the same. And yes, arms have lengthend too.

Y’all act like this is the first kid to ever get tatted. Ever hear of tribal tats or see real tribesmen in person? They have tats and have them signift firsts…hunt…spirit vision…whatever

They don’t start at age 18…more like 10

I love how she says “how can I tell my child no?” Ummm…you say “NO. Wait until you’re 18.”

[quote]Grneyes wrote:
I love how she says “how can I tell my child no?” Ummm…you say “NO. Wait until you’re 18.” [/quote]

So, a kid wants to make a memorial for his brother and he has to wait 8 years for it? I could see that leading to all kinds of emotional issues.

Its not NO don’t wear those jeans. Its NO don’t honor your brother by sparing your flesh…

I asked for a tattoo when i was 16 after my grandma passed, its a small one but mom said no, if you want it still at 18 do whatever you want. i walked around with the drawing in my wallet for 2 years and the first thing i did when i turned 18 was get it done. So you can say no lol.

I do not think the mother should have gotten arrested for it, but i also do not agree with it.

This kid seems well adjusted and understand the need for memorial. He chose how he wanted to do it…through his body.

Mature decision, death of a family member does that to a person.

What stopping this could have potentially done was interrupt a mourning process which is never a good thing.

Little dudes brother is dead and now his mom is in jail…in jail for a decision he made.

How do you think that is sitting with him?

Talk about creating a felon

Let’s have the law send a kids mom to jail for allowing him to remember his fallen brother.

Fucking sad

Also…everyone remember

If your hair is long on top and short on the sides you’re gonna be a felon

Probably a rapist…

Lololololololol

Nah

Nevermind

Before this thread turns into a good parenting battle

How about you worry about your kid…I will about mine…and if you don’t have nne shut the fuck up?

That should solve this…

I’ve never seen a deformed tattoo because someone grew. I could possibly see it happening on someone EXTREMELY obese who used to be really skinny…but I’ve gained a lot of weight since my tats and they didn’t change shape.

I really don’t see how this is anyone’s business but the kid and the parents. Since when did you have to start justifying your every decision to the world? If you allow earrings which means shooting a nail gun through the ear of an infant then you are one flaming hypocrite to see tats differently.

These are my thoughts.

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:

[quote]TigerTime wrote:

TL:DR
-10 y/o kid’s brother died
-asked mom to get a tattoo in remembrance of his bro
-she said o.k.
-he got it done
-mom got arrested for “child cruelty”

note: the kid got the tattoo done at a legit studio.

So, should the kid have the legal right to get a tattoo since his mother consented to it? Would you let your child get a tattoo?
Discus.[/quote]

he’s not old enough to to make that decision, no matter how heartfelt.

no, I would not let my child get tatood. I have also refused mohawks and earrings (my 6 year old has asked for both b/c of the little future felons he goes to school with - because when your parents are letting you get your ears pierced at 5, what kind of parents do you expect they’d be???).[/quote]

I can’t see the kid looking down at the tattoo in ten years and saying “shit - I really regret getting a tat to honor the memory of my dead brother”.

[quote]NvrTooLate wrote:
This is technically still on subject:

I’m amazed at the people with several large tatoos that struggle to pay rent, no medical insurance, etc. They have plenty of money for the tats but seem to run out when it comes to the necessitys.[/quote]

I’ve done tats on people who live in the projects at their home. They use other means of payment. I’ve taken anything from blowjobs to car work to help moving to do tats.

I mean…broked folks don’t go to tattoo shops. They usually know a dude. The guy I learned from learned how to tat in jail. He came out and set up shop in his basement. He would do 2 hours of work for 40.

Tats are only expensive in shops because of the artist has to pay booth rent.

A non house tat would never cost as much as it would in a shop chair.

^Agree with above. I don’t know anyone going broke paying for tattoos. Hell, most I know who are covered know the guy who did it personally.

Either way, social restrictions that are based only on emotional response bother me.

I don’t personally think EVERY girl needs to be mutilated with ear piercings. Maybe parents should be reported for this…unless THAT type of mutilation is ok because they look cute on Easter Sunday.

I have some patients who have tats at 15 years of age. I initially thought that was strange…but I see the alternative of telling all parents what to do in their own homes to be worse.

Mom should not be in jail given all of things people do that don’t get sent to jail.

But no ten year old should be allowed to make any decisions that carry a lifetime of consequences. They simply lack the experience and maturity.

Plenty of other ways to honor the fallen.

[quote]JoeGood wrote:

Mom should not be in jail given all of things people do that don’t get sent to jail.

But no ten year old should be allowed to make any decisions that carry a lifetime of consequences. They simply lack the experience and maturity.

Plenty of other ways to honor the fallen.[/quote]

None of you have explained how you resolve the earring issue when it comes to the same morals.

What if the issue is getting a boy’s ear’s pierced at the same age as a girl’s?

This was his brother. I had a friend die at the age of 8 and I doubt I would regret having a tat of him unless LOCATION was the issue and I got it in a highly visible area.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
^Agree with above. I don’t know anyone going broke paying for tattoos. Hell, most I know who are covered know the guy who did it personally.

Either way, social restrictions that are based only on emotional response bother me.

I don’t personally think EVERY girl needs to be mutilated with ear piercings. Maybe parents should be reported for this…unless THAT type of mutilation is ok because they look cute on Easter Sunday.

I have some patients who have tats at 15 years of age. I initially thought that was strange…but I see the alternative of telling all parents what to do in their own homes to be worse.[/quote]

Honestly, I don’t see a problem with piecings either. If the kid hates them, they can be taken out. No harm done. Not mutilation, remove pieve, ears close…unless something is different if its done to a baby?

Eh, what can ya do though? Some people just know everything about everything and need to share their knowledge with people who are dumb enough to listen. Lol

No use in arguing, just smile and nod…and fart a little. Like a jehovas witness has conered you at the mall.

Make em smell it.

The difference is that an earring is not a permanent mark.

The bottom line is that it’s illegal according to Georgia law and the mother and the shop both broke the law. We can argue about whether or not it should be illegal but that won’t change the law.

As a parent it’s my job to keep my minor child from doing a lot of things. Among the things that it’s my job to keep them from doing is breaking the law. It’s not my place to ask whether or not I agree with the law because that’s not the point.

Knowing that it’s illegal to tattoo a minor and knowing that getting a tattoo in a visible location will open you up to scrutiny and potentially police charges why not get it somewhere less conspicuous? At some point in your life you have to learn discretion and the parent most definitely failed in this regard.

james

[quote]JoeGood wrote:

Plenty of other ways to honor the fallen.[/quote]

Some kids get to choose what parent they live with after a split…

Kids get to decide whether or not they play sports or play an instrument.

Both have lifelong influences.

Not every 10 year old is the same. A decision like the one this kid made should show that he was more mature than most. The fact that he was able to finish the tat should be evidence enough that this isn’t an ordinary kid.

[quote]atypical1 wrote:
The difference is that an earring is not a permanent mark.

The bottom line is that it’s illegal according to Georgia law and the mother and the shop both broke the law. We can argue about whether or not it should be illegal but that won’t change the law.

As a parent it’s my job to keep my minor child from doing a lot of things. Among the things that it’s my job to keep them from doing is breaking the law. It’s not my place to ask whether or not I agree with the law because that’s not the point.

Knowing that it’s illegal to tattoo a minor and knowing that getting a tattoo in a visible location will open you up to scrutiny and potentially police charges why not get it somewhere less conspicuous? At some point in your life you have to learn discretion and the parent most definitely failed in this regard.

james

[/quote]

Parental consent isn’t an option?

I couldn’t legally enter contract when I joined my gym at 15…mom signed of on it and I was good to go.

That doesn’t apply here?

[quote]atypical1 wrote:
The difference is that an earring is not a permanent mark.[/quote]

It may close, but yes, it could leave a permanent mark. It will leave a scar.

No one is trying to change that particular law right here. We are just discussing how illogical it is to uphold one form of mutilation and not another.

[quote]
As a parent it’s my job to keep my minor child from doing a lot of things. Among the things that it’s my job to keep them from doing is breaking the law. It’s not my place to ask whether or not I agree with the law because that’s not the point. [/quote]

I can understand that.

So…do you teach your kids to simply blindly follow all rules and disregard their own personal values in all situations?..or do you teach them to think?

I agree with you about the location. I think that was pretty stupid.