Shoudlers Hurting after First Set of Power Cleans

Hello all,

I am just turning 35, so I guess I should start posting here:).

I should start by saying that I have been lifting for about 4 years. This is long enough for me to know when a lift really doesn't feel right. 

I am learning to do do power cleans… and when I did them on Monday my shoulders did NOT feel right. They started to hurt in that ‘special’ way. So I stopped. Basically, they began to hurt on the outside towards the back. I’m not sure what that means… besides stop.

It's three days later and they have been nagging me since then. They have slowly been getting better. Basically, they seem to hurt slightly when I reach behind my back or when I do certain motions.... like turn the car steering wheel with one hand going in a circle. 

I guess I have a couple of questions

1. What did I do to my shoulders? And is it serious, or just a rest and don’t do what hurts kinda thing?

2. What did I do wrong? Is it my body (I need to be more flexible or strong in my shoulders) or my form?
    a) I think it may at least have something to do with my form. maybe I am using my arms to much in pulling up the bar??

3. Should I just stick with BO rows as a replacement (which I have done for a long time) or, once my shoulders feel better, really work on form with a coach and get these down.

Tahnks all!

JF

Just as a side note, I did some push ups and pullups yesterday without any pain.

go to www.elitefts.com and search on “shoulder Rehab”. Also look for “YTWL” and both internal and external rotations. There are a ton of videos.

if you do cleans incorrectly (which is why I don’t do them 8*), it is very similar to an excercise called a “cuban press” which is another shoulder rotation exercise.

I’ve had plenty of shoulder problems, and they have all been rotator cuff related. Doing the exercises like YTWL and the various rotations will be very helpful. Face Pulls will also help.

Good luck, and train harder!
Old Lardass

[quote]mjnewland wrote:

if you do cleans incorrectly (which is why I don’t do them 8*), it is very similar to an excercise called a “cuban press” which is another shoulder rotation exercise.
[/quote]

This is just what if felt like I was doing. Instead of caching the bar by keeping it close to my body, I felt like I was pulling it back towards my body and my shoulders…

JF

here is a video link to the ytwl protocol

I am feeling some really good results too
and I do these seated db cleans

I am learning I have to spend a good ammount of time in the gym training better, prehab is a priority

kmc