Shotput Log.... and POWER LIFTING

second log here, last one died because i had football and had shitty training but all is well again, i will be using the bench press plataue busting program now so here is my set up:

monday: off
tuesday: parallel squats, hex deads and hamstring accessory
wed: shoulder/tri’s (need to bring these up alot)
thursday: box squat, power clean/hang snatch(everyother week alternate), quad accessory
fri:off
sat: bench program
sunday: back, might do sgdl everyother week dont want to fatigue to much

i know my leg days are compacted but its been working great by squatting more frequently just lighter sessions plus all the running and plyos help me recover extremely fast!

current stats:

height just about 6’ 5’’
weight: 260
bench: 290 (fat bar)
hang snatch: 155
power clean: 225
squat: 315x2
just above parallel box squat: 405x1
hex dead: 435x1, 325x10

i really want to throw 40 plus feet, so any tips would be great the reason i have fridays off is because most meets are on saturdays and i want to be well rested any help along the way is appreciated

today: back:

romanians (standing on a 4’’ platform)
135x10
225x3
315x5 pr +2 reps

wide grip pulldown
100x10
120x10
140x10
160x6
200x5
140x8

barbell row
135x5
165x5
185x5 (pr +10) really trying to bring these up
135x10

underhand cable row
few sets of 8 with 140

neutral grip drop set
140x6, 120x6, 100x8, 80x8

bi’s:

stretching them out with preacher curls going all the way down and pausing seems to help with my sore tendon in my right bicep
15’sx10
25’sx10
30’sx8

barbell cheating curl
95x5
105x5
115x5

hammer slow tempo
25’sx8
35’sx8
25’sx10

did some wrist curls and what not and a little ab circut

Where does the throwing fit in with this? Before or after the weights? Or are you going to work throwing in around this later when the season starts? Or is indoor season already going?

You are already strong and big enough to be throwing 40 feet easily. I look forward to watching the progress.

[quote]Carl Darby wrote:
Where does the throwing fit in with this? Before or after the weights? Or are you going to work throwing in around this later when the season starts? Or is indoor season already going?

You are already strong and big enough to be throwing 40 feet easily. I look forward to watching the progress.[/quote]

already throwing, mondays, wednesdays and fridays i throw before lifting if i even lift, tuesdays and thursdays i throw after but somehow i throw better on these days cuz im like all t raging, i know i can do i need to find a way to release the caged animal as my coach says, we throw monday-friday friday being a light day if theres a meet on saturday.

working on staying low in the glide right now and i can seem to get the hip weight transefer yet its pissin me off cuz i know i have 40 sincei hit 37-38 the other day in the gym GOD DAM! ha, should be within the first three meets in my plan, the adrenaline will drive me to it :slight_smile:

Good luck with your throwing and lifting, lookin strong!

On the rare occasions I do a glide throw, when it comes to the weight transfer, I find it helps to think about always accelerating the ball. Never let it slow down. If you have to go slower at the beginning to do this, so be it.

When is your first meet?

[quote]Carl Darby wrote:
On the rare occasions I do a glide throw, when it comes to the weight transfer, I find it helps to think about always accelerating the ball. Never let it slow down. If you have to go slower at the beginning to do this, so be it.

When is your first meet?[/quote]

it was supposed to be a week ago on saturday but since the ice storm and then a snow storm 2 meets have already been cancelled, im kinda glad gives me a little more time, but my coach says 1.

im getting to high in the glide before i throw i cant seem to like stay parallelish to the ground while gliding and 2. weight transfer which might be a result of 3.

he says it appears i slow down at the final part of the throw just not being explosive with my arm everything is fine so maybe thats it, im filimin my lifting and throwing today so ill try to post the throwing at least here soon. thnx darby

Big Nate,

I threw shot in HS, we didn’t really have good coach but my best put was 42’ IIRC. You are stronger than I was at your age and much taller than me. I bet with coaching you should easily get into the high 40s this Spring- maybe 50.

I wish I could give you pointers but my technique was terrible. I missed the last half of my senior season because I broke my ankle trying to learn the spin, lol.

Good luck to you I will definitely be following along.

[quote]Joe Grim wrote:
Big Nate,

I threw shot in HS, we didn’t really have good coach but my best put was 42’ IIRC. You are stronger than I was at your age and much taller than me. I bet with coaching you should easily get into the high 40s this Spring- maybe 50.

I wish I could give you pointers but my technique was terrible. I missed the last half of my senior season because I broke my ankle trying to learn the spin, lol.

Good luck to you I will definitely be following along.[/quote]

thnx man, it really is just speed and technique right now today my throwing felt really good it was in the high 30’s like 37-38 all day so i was happy think i will throw more with the 16 so i can get fast with the twelve kinda like the warming up in baseball with the weight on thew bat :slight_smile:

todays session 12:30, will be doing a night accessory session later

hex deads:
165x5
255x3
345x1
435x1
485x1 (pr +50 pounds)
505x1 XD, my body has such a crazy rate of adaption i love it, will get video up in the next few days if u dont believe me lol

atg squats, so tired after this
135x5
185x3
225x3

doing smith hack sqauts, extensions, stiff legged, curls and lunges tonight with a 2 sets of 8 on each fashion more of a circut ill throw abs in too and maybe some bi’s

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:
Good luck with your throwing and lifting, lookin strong![/quote]

thnx man, hoping for 40+ this year then 45+ next year as a senior i decided to quit football next year and focus on lifting, balance and agility :slight_smile: and throwing once a week in my yard of course

[quote]Carl Darby wrote:

When is your first meet?[/quote]

I definitely agree with this advice. I threw shot in HS and some in college, but my main focus was the Javelin.

I had the same problem with both events, actually Discus too, I would start too quickly, and not be able to accelerate through the throw. I would actually end up slowing down from start to finish. Start slow and explode at the end.

Video’s are priceless. I spent a couple hours a week watching how it should be done, and then watching how I did it. Once I figured out how to accelerate and then block hard, my distances went way up.

[quote]Modi wrote:
Carl Darby wrote:

When is your first meet?

I definitely agree with this advice. I threw shot in HS and some in college, but my main focus was the Javelin.

I had the same problem with both events, actually Discus too, I would start too quickly, and not be able to accelerate through the throw. I would actually end up slowing down from start to finish. Start slow and explode at the end.

Video’s are priceless. I spent a couple hours a week watching how it should be done, and then watching how I did it. Once I figured out how to accelerate and then block hard, my distances went way up.[/quote]

yeh i need to invest in a video camera anyways heres the hex dead: VIDEO - YouTube

shoulders a tri’s

standing press:
45x20
95x8
105x5
135x1
165x1, last time i maxed these i got 155 so well call it progress

smith seated military press
105x6
165x6
135x6
105x12

seated side laterals
15’sx3x10
seated front
2x20’sx10
25’sx12, this was aballs out set:)

did some suppersetted extensions changing from under hand grip to overhand

shrugs
105x25
195x25
DROP SET: 285x20,195x20, 105x20

then some rope extension drop set for my elbows

nice deadlift

[quote]xb-C wrote:
nice deadlift[/quote]

thnx i know its not striaghtbar but that doesnt fit into my routine right now and i want to work on my weaknesses when i start them again which is why im doing romanians and more back volume, i was slow of the floor and my back is to small ha

Do you use any chains or bands for your training?

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:
Do you use any chains or bands for your training?[/quote]

nope, dont have access to them, i livein a smallish town where there isnt like any good gyms near so im still working on making my home gym, i also have to work out at school for track so my workouts are someone pre determined, i do plan on getting a job this summer and buying these items: safety squat bar, chains, dumbells and rack, bands

i dont think there neccassary as u can vary training alot just with different exercises and variations but i definitly want to try chains and i love safety squat bars haha

Im a highschool thrower as of now and im looking to get my distances up. Man do i wish i had your size! What weight shot are you using?

[quote]TomRocco wrote:
Im a highschool thrower as of now and im looking to get my distances up. Man do i wish i had your size! What weight shot are you using? [/quote]

we use a twelve like other high schools but i usually do my standing warmup throws with a 16 (these are pounds) age/height/weight? hows your throwing going?